Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to Beaufort, SC for Navy reunion with some old shipmates...of course that AIN'T happening now with the hurricane coming up the coast. I'm in Augusta, GA and gonna have dinner with a couple of the buddies before heading home to Arkansas on Friday morning.

But I noticed my "music" sounding different. Like some of it was missing. LOL

Actually, the left speaker is very muffled and very low while the right speaker works just fine. I can figure it out when I get home by swapping speaker wires to see if it's the speaker or the amp. What are some of your guesses...it could also be my GPS (although I don't think that's problem).

Here's my setup:
All music is played through my Zumo 590 GPS
Amp is the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4
And my speakers are the 6.5" Alpines.

Any experts wanna take a guess?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking it's the amp, but could be a blown speaker too? I may just replace the whole damn thing...

Are Polks still the one that everyone talked about...I kinda liked my Alpines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm thinking it's the amp, but could be a blown speaker too? I may just replace the whole damn thing...

I'd bet on the speaker. When you get home pop off the faring and swap wires to each speaker. If problem stays on same side it's the speaker. If problem goes to other side it's the amp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
The 2 wires that connects to your speakers can pop off or something

I solder a small "lump" on the speaker lip, and they stopped coming OFF...

Try the simple solution before the complicated ones first....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts

I had polks and alpine on my bike and they both sounded great. You could just have a loose connection

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
My guess is a blown speaker. If that's the case then I'd suggest you adjust the gain on the amp. I've been told by the Hawg Wired folks that the stock Vic head unit starts distorting at about volume level 10.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey an additional question. I haven't checked it yet...but lets suppose the SPEAKER is blown and maybe I have my amp gain set a little higher than it should be for these speakers. Remember...I'm no audio or electrical engineer.

My question is...If I want to maintain my GAIN setting, could I just purchase a stronger wattage speaker...or is that apples and oranges? :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Distortion kills speakers. You would probably get away with it for awhile but sooner or later you'd have the same problem.

This is from a Rockford Fosgate document. Ignore the amp they are referring to, but understand what they are saying. The whole process starts with the max volume that the head unit can be at without distortion. The only way to properly determine that level is with an oscilloscope.

First, before anything else you need to ensure the audio connections are correct and that you have tested and documented the maximum useable output voltage and volume position of the source unit, either aftermarket or OEM. It does not matter if you are connecting your signal outputs from the source unit to a the 3Sixty through high level or preamp level (RCA) inputs. No matter which way you go, you need a “reference” level and volume position on which other subsequent settings are based. If you are not sure where you are starting in the level setting process then you will never fully know if you are maximizing the potential of the audio system you have installed. It all starts with ensuring the first building block in the system is “clean”.​

Every OEM head unit is a little different, but I was told that that max volume level is around 10. If you assume that 10 is the max volume level then put the head unit there and adjust the gain from there. Does the RF amp have an LED that indicates distortion? If so then play a variety of music at vol level 10 and find the max gain level that does not distort.

Also note that if 10 is the max volume level the head unit can play at without distortion then you should not put the vol above 10 when you are riding.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about making sense to me, but I can follow directions. GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diagnosis:: Blown Speaker.
I had 6.5" Alpines in the bike and tested the left speaker today...BLOWN. I went to eBay to see how much another pair of Alpines would cost (I kinda liked them), but it would probably take a week or more to come in so I just went to our local audio store and bought another brand. I ended up with a pair of the Rockford Fosgate speakers with the poly woofer. I can tell a little difference, but hell...at 85mph...I don't care that much.

Stereo is back to normal again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts