Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my 2013 XC tomorrow and looking to upgrade the speakers and adding a set of 6 x9's and a amp to the system. Just looking for a little input on what works best and what didn't work. Looking to have a nice sounding system nothing over the top. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
6x9's produce terrible sound.... Go with a 6.5" high end speaker and skip the 6x9. Any oblong speaker 3x5, 4x6, 5x7 and 6x9,s will not produce as clear as sound as a speaker that is round in design. It may produce a little more bass but you will sacrifice sound quality. If you want a little bass there are many car audio companies that produce high end 6" subwoofer's I had some Kicker ones installed in my 56 dodge pick up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Run your amp power and ground wires directly to the battery.

Do a search on this site and there are a couple of great how to's. They give a great over site on the over all process.

The components are your choice, but from experience spend as much as your budget allows. There are some bargains but do the research. I am far from being a audiophile, but I'm learning.
I'm pretty quick at removing the outer fairing for sure..lol

Congrats on the new bike and good luck to you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had planned on putting the 6x9's in the bags but may also consider 8" woofers

·
Registered
659 Posts
OK... So you are going for an extreme audio system. There are a couple of topics where others have added speakers to the bags. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Kinda off Topic but I had to ask this question.

What version of ipod's will work with the 2013 cross country connecter? Some ipods will charge and some won't with certain cables. So I'm curious as to what you guys are using for tunes?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm looking at an amp which would control all four speakers. I'm considering a 4-channel amp with either 100 or 150 watts per channel. I'd get speakers to match my desired wattage.

Having said this, is my logic sound when it comes to the amp, wattage, etc?

Finally, it seems 6.5" front speakers are the best for the front. But, What about the trunk? What 100-150w speakers will fit without a heat gun, cutting, etc?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Kinda off Topic but I had to ask this question.

What version of ipod's will work with the 2013 cross country connecter? Some ipods will charge and some won't with certain cables. So I'm curious as to what you guys are using for tunes?
iPod nano 4th gen works for me, pawn shop special...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm looking at an amp which would control all four speakers. I'm considering a 4-channel amp with either 100 or 150 watts per channel. I'd get speakers to match my desired wattage.

Having said this, is my logic sound when it comes to the amp, wattage, etc?

Finally, it seems 6.5" front speakers are the best for the front. But, What about the trunk? What 100-150w speakers will fit without a heat gun, cutting, etc?

Rockford Fosgate PBR-300 4 channel 4ohm is very popular here and HD.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That would drop me down to 75w speakers. Is 100-150 overkill? I'm not looking to win a sound competition, but at 80 mph I can barely hear the radio and it seems to peg out at 15 on the volume control.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
That would drop me down to 75w speakers. Is 100-150 overkill? I'm not looking to win a sound competition, but at 80 mph I can barely hear the radio and it seems to peg out at 15 on the volume control.

Don't know what year bike you have, but my 13 with factory kickers was the same until I added the amp. Those speakers need a amp to perform. There is lots of talk around that the volume doesn't increase over level 15 with out a amp. I could hear mine fine at around 15 with the amo, and most say I deaf.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Most speakers are rated for peak watts... That Rockford 300 will power any coaxial speaker you can buy. The key too good sound begins with an amp that is actually generating as much it claims. Most lower end vehicle audio equipment claims big watts but if you read carefully the actual RMS will be minuscule. Go with well built gear and put a decent amount of power to it and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
iPod nano 4th gen works for me, pawn shop special...
Does it charge the Nano? That is totally the way to go. Just a cheap nano, or ipod that charges with the supplied cord. I wish it worked with my Nexus 4 through the charger. Who owns a iphone nowadays anyway. LOL:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Most speakers are rated for peak watts... That Rockford 300 will power any coaxial speaker you can buy. The key too good sound begins with an amp that is actually generating as much it claims. Most lower end vehicle audio equipment claims big watts but if you read carefully the actual RMS will be minuscule. Go with well built gear and put a decent amount of power to it and you will be fine.

Bingo you nailed it. The small RMS number is really the only number that matters. And how you wire your speakers(OHMS). All that max wattage bullshit is just that "marketing BULLSHIT". With the right distortion ratio number and a fair amount of RMS you can bump any door speaker to it's fullest potential. IMHO

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Does it charge the Nano? That is totally the way to go. Just a cheap nano, or ipod that charges with the supplied cord. I wish it worked with my Nexus 4 through the charger. Who owns a iphone nowadays anyway. LOL:rolleyes:
Yes it charges the IPod and it also works & charges my Iphone 4s. It's my work phone so I don't like using it as a mp3 player.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Yes it charges the IPod and it also works & charges my Iphone 4s. It's my work phone so I don't like using it as a mp3 player.
The reason I ask. Is I just recently installed a DVD stereo system into my Wife's Scion Tc. And the only ipod cord capable of connecting to her stereo charges only certain ipod's not all generation's will charge. They will all connect and work on her stereo. She went out and bought a brand new 280 dollar newest generation ipod touch. It's works perfectly on the touch screen stereo. It just doesn't charge the ipod. Seems worthless to me at that point. And that is frustrating. So hence my question's.

On a side note: This stereo we installed was a older model. Probably not capable of charging newer ipod's due to compatibility issues.

So all in all, I'm sure this cord for the 2013 model is newest generation and would probably charge anything apple. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, Hammer and Travis. It's a '12 CCT. I'm not sure if they are Kickers or not.

So, what I'm hearing is I should go with the Rockford 300 and see how the speakers sound. The speakers should be ok with the amp and go beyond the 12-15 volume thereby increasing the volume at highway speeds. Did I get that right?

1 - 20 of 589 Posts