Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Part of my job requires a lot of label removal from painted surfaces. I cannot speak for removal of decals. My advice is for a label applied with an adhesive back. If you can use a fingernail or something that won't scratch paint to lift an edge and peel the label off intact that will be your first step. The next step is spray the remaining adhesive generously with WD40 which will soften it. Wipe it off with a scrubbing motion. Repeat as necessary until no adhesive remains. Remove the WD 40 with soap and water or rubbing alcohol. If the label just won't come off in one piece then use a popsicle stick to push at the edges while keeping the surface wet with WD 40. It may take seemingly forever but you will eventually get the label off without damaging the paint.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is good info, and I'm sure has been covered to death. But I'm here, so is John.

So John; WD40 won't damage the paint? I'm dying to get rid of the damn orange and white warning label on my tank.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I removed both french and english on tank, it took awhile but using your fingernail and goo gone eventually took it off. Unfortunately the paint has changed somewhat in colour where the stickers were located. I wish they put those stickers elsewhere at he factory.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm actually happy they put that sticker there, how else would I have known that gas is so dangerous :eek:!

So Warden, was the color change immediate, or was it a gradual change? Just wondering if your tank paint faded before the removal, or if the adhesive they use can cause the paint to change with sunlight after the warning was removed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I peeled my gas tank sticker off with fingers and wiped adhesive off with gas and cleaned off washed and waxed and it worked great BUT these two labels on the front of the frame with the tire pressure etc,.. are a bitch

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used gasoline Just a little and it worked great took seconds I washed it right off Its just as if i spilled a little gas on my tank while fueling and got it right off So far so good I also used gas on my previous bike But these stickers on the frame bar rounded wont even start pealing with my fingers for some reason Didnt know if there was something i could put over the sticker its self to loosen it up to come off easier the adhesive is a cake walk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm actually happy they put that sticker there, how else would I have known that gas is so dangerous :eek:!

So Warden, was the color change immediate, or was it a gradual change? Just wondering if your tank paint faded before the removal, or if the adhesive they use can cause the paint to change with sunlight after the warning was removed?
Thanks!
If you don't take the sticker off right away the sun slightly fades the paint everywhere except under the sticker where it's covered/protected.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I've used WD 40 since 1996 to remove the adhesive left after peeling labels off of various painted equipment at my Postal Service location. Neither the WD 40 or the industrial alcohol (99.9% pure but, unfortunately, you can't drink it) has ever damaged the paint. I've probably removed several thousand case labels over the years so I'm pretty confident that WD 40 doesn't damage cured paint. Also as part of my job I accidently learned that the product Soft Scrub Lemon cleanser makes an excellant fine rubbing compound that leaves dull paint with a sheen. Sometimes I run across a really porous paint that is difficult to get the adhesive off of so then I use a rag wetted with the alcohol and a straight squirt of Soft Scrub to get the adhesive off. You can buy Soft Scrub at any grocery store on the cleaning product aisle. I'm not advising using it on your motorcycle paint because I've not tried that though I suspect it would work. What I've used it at home for is polishing an aluminum piece. It doesn't work better or worse than polishing compound but it is cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a little gasoline on a microfiber cloth than i washed it off immediately followed by a wax job and ice detail spray Cant tell they were ever there Gasoline really eats the adhesive right off and ive never in ten years had a problem with it......Hair dryer really worked well to peel the sticker off....whole job did not take long at all God bless the hair dryer LOL

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2011 in Imperial blue and where the stickers were there is a slight brownish ghost but it seems to be fading with time. I think the adhesive must affect the clear coat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Some of y'all are just creating too much work. Peeling/tearing, then having to clean off what's left.

Hair dryer. Heat up the label to where you can barely touch it, this loosens the glues, and you can peel it right off. If it stops coming off easily, that's because it cooled down too much... use the hair dryer WHILE peeling the rest of the label off.

At worst you'll have small spots of glue left, then hit with Goo Gone or WD40, but if done right, you won't even get to this step.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Another great product is called Afta, similar to Goo Gone but works better. I use it at work to remove stickers from fiberglass tub and shower units. This stuff also works on dried silicone

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the tank sticker or the ones on the down tube?
I didn't use a dryer on the tank sticker, I removed that one and the two on the wheels as soon as I got home with the bike. They peeled right off. But using a dryer wouldn't hurt if they are being stubborn.

I used the dryer last night on the frame decals and it worked like a charm. I little WD-40 on a microfiber rag got the little bit of residue right off. Followed that with a coat of wax. (On the frame; I wouldn't recommend using WD-40 or wax on the flat paint on the tank.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I didn't use a dryer on the tank sticker, I removed that one and the two on the wheels as soon as I got home with the bike. They peeled right off. But using a dryer wouldn't hurt if they are being stubborn.

I used the dryer last night on the frame decals and it worked like a charm. I little WD-40 on a microfiber rag got the little bit of residue right off. Followed that with a coat of wax. (On the frame; I wouldn't recommend using WD-40 or wax on the flat paint on the tank.)
Hopefully it works on my 2008.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used goo gone or goof off, (which has worked well on other painted surfaces before) on the remaining spots of sticker on my tank and it made the matte paint shiny. Used very little and washed it immediately after, but it still has a shiny spot where the decal was. :mad:
That's matte paint though, the frame should come off with no problem.
Terrible place to put that damn sticker!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts