Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolled in yesterday from a long ride .... 9 days, 6 states and 2100 miles :cool:
Through my YouTube channel I'm in with a community of content makers and subscribers. This year 27 of us met for the 1st annual "West Virginia Motovlogers & Subs Meet Up" in Fayettville, W.VA.
I took Mrs PaiN and all that extra luggage of second person, loaded up the ol' Vic and we headed out on our tour. We planned plenty of time so this was a "back roads tour" we took country and mountain roads as much as possible on this trip. We cut southwest through NY's Catskills and then though PA's farm county. Then south and all over the "twisty road paradise" of West Virginia. We exited W.VA on "Back of the Dragon". Then back northeast on the VA side staying in the heart of the mountains, cutting right through the Jefferson & Washington National Forests. It was some hard and technical riding in 90+ degree heat everyday. All of it 2up and much of it full up with all our stuff.
All I can say is the Vic did all without a hic-up thumb up I by no means baby the bike either, I ride hard, pass anything going slower than I am and attack the curves as much as possible. I can't believe how the bike performs at its age and fully loaded up, but like I said it did it all without a bit of drama or breakage. My only complains are that the Corbin seat gets "pinchy" after long days in the heat and growl of the Tri-Ovals is a bit much after a hours of riding, but nothing that distracted from the awesomeness of this tour.

1st night out at a B&B

Our group out for some killer pulled pork BBQ(the guy at the end of my table is John from "Loud Pipes!" pod-cast)

New River Gorge Bridge W.Va

Leaving on "Back of the Dragon"

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's all about them cams brother!

Looks like a great time. Let me know when you're rested up .. we gotta ride.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've ridden a lot in southern WV and it is some great riding. The road from the top of the New River Gorge bridge down one side of the chasm, across the tiny bridge at the bottom, and up the other side is a ride not to be missed - lots of tight switchbacks. The back of the Dragon from Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA is a great ride and so is the rest of Rt. 16 all the way into Welch, WV and even further north all the way to Beckley, WV.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all about them cams brother!

Looks like a great time. Let me know when you're rested up .. we gotta ride.
I'd ride today if I didn't have to tame my yard after almost two weeks away(you know about cutting the lawn, right? :ltr: ) and I also have to give my Vic the bath I promised it ;)

I've ridden a lot in southern WV and it is some great riding. The road from the top of the New River Gorge bridge down one side of the chasm, across the tiny bridge at the bottom, and up the other side is a ride not to be missed - lots of tight switchbacks. The back of the Dragon from Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA is a great ride and so is the rest of Rt. 16 all the way into Welch, WV and even further north all the way to Beckley, WV.
I've ridden down there a few years ago as well....Leaving Fayetteville I did take rt16 all the to rt58 in Volney, VA where we started heading east. Its an amazing ride...Mrs. PaiN was in awe of the twisties we rode :)

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Take it from this old timer--do it while you can so later, you can reflect on the memories.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Color me envious! I've done some parts of what you rode, but never had a chance to do it like you just did. Gorgeous bike on to die-for roads and you got to take the missus with ya? Lock that ride away in the old memory banks my friend.. there will be cold days in winter and lonely days when you're older that you can replay that ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Take it from this old timer--do it while you can so later, you can reflect on the memories.
You pretty much said what I was thinking. I am kinda limited to day trips. A guy I sometimes ride with always said we will do a trip down to the tail of the dragon, about 6 years and waiting, so we see where that's going. Yep, got about 3 or 4 years left of riding if my strength and reflexes make it that long. Take the opportunities when you can. There is truth to the saying "time flies" Pain, glad you had a good time with no bike troubles. ( it's a Victory):wink

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!! I just did the bath thing with the Vic, it had "levels of grime" I had to get through.....:eek Road grime, bug guts\parts and some foreign\yet unknown material...Now, back to its usual state of cleanliness... lol

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Mrs and I usually make a long trip in fall, from central Fla to north of Dillard Ga. I will say one of the best things I have done for 2 up and luggage is add a trailer hitch. I dont pull a trailer but it allowed me to add a "cooler rack" on the ball mount. I can now put the bag that use to go up on the top of trunk down on the rack.
But I still think I could carry gear easier on the 900 Vulcan on the rack behind her. Only down side is no place to put helmets and some odds and ends.
Looks like you had a great time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great write up, I'll be heading from Central PA down to Marion to ride the Back of the Dragon and back up through WV to see the New River Gorge Bridge in just over a week from now.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Envious here too. Looks like a great time!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Awesome

Looks like a great trip. Beautiful scenery. We live in the SW, which is great to a point. Very nice seeing all the green!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great write up, I'll be heading from Central PA down to Marion to ride the Back of the Dragon and back up through WV to see the New River Gorge Bridge in just over a week from now.
Do yourself a favor and stay off the highways and 4-lane roads(unless you don't like the twisties)....W.Va is a paradise of back roads to ride, you'll miss so much if you pass them up and jet straight to the Back of the Dragon.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I was at Hungry Mother over the weekend as well but not to ride my bike, it is one of my favorite kayaking spots. The "back of the dragon" is alright but better roads to be found with less motorcycles. I would suggest route 80 over Clinch Mountain that will take you out to Hwy 19 and then cruise on up to Tazewell and check out Burkes Garden

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Never been a fan of twisties, we don't have that in central Indiana, but going to dragon with friends anyway.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I probably would not own a motorcycle if I had no curvy mountain roads to ride.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I guess I don't know what I'm missing? I'll hit the highway and go places but it's hard to find twisty roads here. I can plug in the find curves option on my GPS and the only "curves" are a ton of 90 degree intersections. Haha

·
Registered
103 Posts
@IndyVictory

You have some nice roads around turkey run state park, the covered bridge route out of Rockville , and the best is down by Hoosier national Forest south of you

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Never been a fan of twisties, we don't have that in central Indiana, but going to dragon with friends anyway.
You will absolutely hate one of my favorites, the road to the Hells Canyon Dam out of Baker City Oregon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts