Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my helmet has lost that "new helmet smell? and no is a little sour!! How do you keep your helmet smelling fresh???? Or don't bother!?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Frabreeze.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
The better ones have the removable lining you can hand wash in the sink and let air dry. I guess you could try washing it in the helmet if it isn't removable and let air dry for a couple of days as long as it isn't too humid where you live.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
Put a dew rag on whenever you wear the helmut. wash your hair from time to time. Wash the dew rag anythime it gets sweat soaked or otherwise stinks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dump a beer in it and go for it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Put a dew rag on whenever you wear the helmut. wash your hair from time to time. Wash the dew rag anythime it gets sweat soaked or otherwise stinks.
2nd the dew rag even if your folically challenged such as me. I actually use a little thicker skull cap and keep it washed. Helmet has a used smell but no funk so havent tried washing it. It does NOT have a removeable liner like BBob is speaking of.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
All but a tiny patch of my head tans deeply. The dew rag filters the grease out of the sweat and keeps the helmut smelling...beter than it would otherwise. The dew rag, however, will get to smelling like your favorite jock strap quickly.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The dew rag helps but you should still wash the lining every once in a while too. Your helmet will last longer as well.

The Arai rep had some good advice. Use your shampoo for the soap. That way you know it won't irritate your skin.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are a few products out there made specifically for cleaning helmet interiors. I use Woolite. Mix a bowl with a light mixture of Woolite (Dawn dish liquid if no woolite available) Take a washcloth and a tooth brush...... wipe the interior of the helmet with the washcloth dipped in the soapy water. Use the tooth brush to scrub the bad spots, like where the liner meets your forehead.

Rinse the cloth often in the soapy water, wringing it out..... Once the wringing results in a pretty clean water, then continue. You may need to dump the soapy water and refresh, as you will be shocked how funky it gets.

Once you are satisfied that the grunge has been removed, rinse with a container of clean, cool water and a fresh wash cloth..... DO NOT SOAK the interior of the helmet!!!

Once done, sit inside the house or use a hair dryer to expedite drying the interior. Or, if a nice sunny day, hang it outside and let the sun assist.

I (nearly) always wear a do-rag of some sort. Really does make a difference. You can also wet the do-rag and put it on when very hot..... acts like a swamp cooler for the noggin.

Cheers

·
Registered
579 Posts
If its already stinky and you want it to smell better...

Google "Helmet Fresh"

·
Registered
49 Posts
try one of these. i have worn the SLIK liner for years. my helmet looks brand new inside.

they eliminate helmet itch and they can be tossed in the wash for cleaning. money well spent.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/helmet-liner/

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the warmer (hotter) summer months - I let my helmet (liner) DRY before putting it away.....

....and about once per week, I give the inside liner a light spritz of Lysol disinfectant to kill the bacteria (the main thing that causes odors)

- but mostly, when I'm not riding, I take a USED "dryer sheet" (brand and scent/flavor of your choosing) and lay it loose inside the helmet.

Works for me.

thumb up

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wash your hair lol. I use fabreeze

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts