Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few weeks there have been numerous tunes done which confirm that Harleys, just like Victorys, make better power with the stock head pipes and cats in them up to a certain point.

This is on bagger bikes... adding airbox and fuel controller... the bikes with just slip-ons and stock head pipes have been making more power across the board, idle to redline, than bikes with a full exhaust systems.

Even bikes with mild 'bagger cams' like Andrews 26 or S&S 551 are better off with the stock head pipes and slip-ons for both torque and horsepower.

So, Victory guys, it's not just us. Apparently, the stock head pipes on Vics and HDs are well designed. Don't be in a big hurry to get a full exhaust, it may cost you some power.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
In the past few weeks there have been numerous tunes done which confirm that Harleys, just like Victorys, make better power with the stock head pipes and cats in them up to a certain point.

This is on bagger bikes... adding airbox and fuel controller... the bikes with just slip-ons and stock head pipes have been making more power across the board, idle to redline, than bikes with a full exhaust systems.

Even bikes with mild 'bagger cams' like Andrews 26 or S&S 551 are better off with the stock head pipes and slip-ons for both torque and horsepower.

So, Victory guys, it's not just us. Apparently, the stock head pipes on Vics and HDs are well designed. Don't be in a big hurry to get a full exhaust, it may cost you some power.
Have found this out to be true after checking into Exhaust for the Indian Scout as well .. While the Numbers Look Good for what most Riders would Utilize up to 6,000 RPM when really get into the Fun section of the Scout 6-8 K it drops off .. So rethinking getting Slip Ons just for the Sound without a Loss of Power and the good part is the Cats are in the Mufflers theirself rather than the Headers and the O2 Sensors are in the Headers so shouldn't have to worry too much on the Tuning Part ..

·
Registered
537 Posts
As much as I like 2 into 1 systems, the budget doesn't allow for it. So I bought some 2008 head pipes (O2 holes but NO Catcons this year). Same as had on mine stock, except I don't have to drill out the aggrevating catcons. I put Thunder Monsters where the catcons go to bring torque back up and give the closed loop system something to "read against". Have Stage I slip ons. As much as I like other systems and 2 into 1's, I gotta admit this is a hell of a system (other than WAAY too much weight).

I have Stage I (K&N) airbox/filter and a Stage I download for drag pipes. No backfires or pops. Gurgle on hard decel. Fantastic sound and volume level at cruise and hard accel. Went from super lean stock download to a 50 state compliant load for drag pipes that ran a little rich ( a GOOD thing). Removing cats and putting in Thunder Monsters leaned it out a LITTLE. Soot in mufflers went from heavy black to less soot and dark grey. I figure I'm running VERY close to where I want to be.... Definitely richer than stock download. Getting a used Cobra PowerPro CVT (I know.... I've read the threads.....) to do light tweeking of the AFR if needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts