Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a XC yet but I'm working in that direction. How have most of you bought your bikes, stock or loaded with accessories? The reason I ask, is there a cost savings doing it one way over the other? On Victory's Web Site they allow you to custom design your bike. If you were to buy it from a dealer locally, would it be best to buy a stock bike and then get the accessories or order you bike from Victory with all the accessories you want. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There's a HUGE, HUGE markup on accessories. I would make my BEST deal with the dealer with the bike stock and negotiate the ACCESSORIES (and/or labor) at time of purchase. Or in my case, when I pay CASH (no credit card, debit card or check)...I get a fairly handsome discount then too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The mark up at the dealers is crazy. I had to buy a backrest and luggage rack when I bought my hardball because the bike I trade on had both. I had luggage etc strapped to it so I couldn't fit everything on the new bike without. It was $499 each. So $1000 for a luggage rack and sissybar. Both of those go for over $100-150 less each on ebay.

I paid $299 shipped for a new windshield off ebay where the dealer wanted $599.

The only benefit to buying from the dealer is they can add it to your bill so you can finance them with the bike if you don't want to pay out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
The only benefit to buying from the dealer is they can add it to your bill so you can finance them with the bike if you don't want to pay out of pocket.

This would be the only benefit...
I would get it stock, and give it some time to see what you need/want to improve or replace. Sometimes things that seem necessary don't always get used. Once you have an idea of what you want, order it online if the dealer isn't willing to negotiate a below MSRP price you are interested in. Several places will go under MSRP around 20%. Do the install yourself and save even more. So far I haven't seen anything hard to replace on the bike ('13 XC)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
In my experience, I get the best price when I do the research and make a list on paper of how I want the car or bike to appear when I roll it out of the dealership. I hand the dealer a copy and tell them it will be a cash deal and this is my trade. If there is a trade, the only money amount that is important is the cash difference...how much do I have to pull out of my pocket to fill the gap between their vehicle and mine. What they want for their vehicle and what they are willing to give you for yours does not matter, so don't bother you head with that flim-flam. Finally, I buy only what I can write the check for without taking food off my table. If I can afford new, great, otherwise used is the route I have to go in order to stay solvent and being solvent is very important to me. Then I go to another dealer and see what his cash difference is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice folks. Thanks. Luvmyride, your idea is probably what I'll start off with at first. Ride the bike a bit to see what I really need, rather than buy now what I think need. Mrtappan, I most probably won't need to finance the bike but if I did, I can see how buying from the add-ons from Dealer would make sense. Ritz, I like your idea of making a list of add-ons and knowing their cost. As I get more experience with the bike, I'll talk with the Dealer to get their pricing comparing it to mine.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
would it be best to buy a stock bike and then get the accessories or order you bike from Victory with all the accessories you want. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Unfortunately, you can't order the bike from Vic with accessories. That function on their website is just there to give you an idea as to what's available, how it will look, and how much extra you're going to pay. But you will be paying the dealer and expect additional charges for his tech to install it.

The nice part about these bikes is they don't need a lot of aftermarket parts. They are damn good as is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your best value by far would be to find a good quality, low mileage previously owned bike that has already been loaded with accessories. In that case, you are negotiating based on the current value of the bike itself and the accessories are not a part of that equation. Certainly the accessories are an added benefit for the buyer, but they add little to the actual resale value of the bike itself.

I have purchased several bikes new and had accessories added at purchase, while adding more after the fact. In every case the total outlay has been far greater than I would like to admit. When I sold/traded those bikes, for the reasons stated above, I removed most of the added accessories for seperate resale at a vastly reduced price from what I paid, but in doing so was able to recover a good chunk of change. Many sellers won't/don't do that and just leave everything on the bike....making this option unquestionably your best bang for the buck...cheers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unfortunately, you can't order the bike from Vic with accessories. That function on their website is just there to give you an idea as to what's available, how it will look, and how much extra you're going to pay. But you will be paying the dealer and expect additional charges for his tech to install it.
This is the angle I was going to point out. You may be able to build it how you want it online, but the factory is not going to deliver it like that. The dealer will get the stock bike and install the parts. There is no savings to be had by not taking delivery of the stock parts and leaving them at the dealership.

Say for example you wanted the Tri-Oval Stage 1 kit. You could walk into the dealership and buy it for $1000. If you have your new bike delivered "with" the Tri-Ovals, it is still going to cost you $1000. There is no credit for the stock pipes you're not receiving. Same goes for getting pullback handlebars, different mirrors, etc. You're going to pay the dealer's price for the parts (and the install of the parts) regardless of how you "order" your bike.

Best bet if you want a new bike with Victory accessories is to try to negotiate a discount at the time of purchase. Many dealerships will give a parts discount when you buy a bike from them, though the discount may take different forms. For some it's a percentage off any accessories at time of purchase, for others its a discount on a single accessory purchase, others will offer a discount for a set period of time (1 week, month, year) from date of bike purchase, while others will give an ongoing percentage discount to anyone who has purchased a bike from them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts