Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scooped out the stock seat close to the Bandit seat profile. Added 5/8 gel pad insert. Unbelievable difference and still able to use the stock seat cowl cover. Something to consider if your seat's a pain in the ass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That is great- I need to do that too- gets sore after a long ride.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Holy F**k did you read my mind today or what ? Earlier today I probably spent 2.5 hrs researching how I was going to go about installing a gel insert into my hammer seat. Looks great man , have any pics of the gel insert ? did you use 1/4 inch smoothing foam ? Can you run over the process you did a bit ?
I plan on using the stock cover when I put it all back together, did you make the cover ? And how did you get the mustang profile ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow that is nice man...the seat is sooo uncomfortable especially on long rides...how long did that take you? Looks awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Wow that is nice man...the seat is sooo uncomfortable especially on long rides...how long did that take you? Looks awesome!
Yeah I agree- after a few hours I start shifting all over the seat moving my legs trying to alleviate the ache......literally a pain in the arse.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Guys. Lunaticrider, I did not get any pics of the gel pad or the gel pad installation as I had not considered posting this when I was building the seat. The pad came from onlygel.com . I used the small size ultragel. I did use smoothing foam though the piece that came with the pad was not large enough for the whole seat. I do custom motorcycle seats as part of my business and wanted to try out Onlygel's products. The biggest problem with the stock seat in my opinion is its shape or contour. The stock foam is actually pretty good quality. There are a few good vids on youtube showing how to install the gel pads. To reshape the seat might be a challenge if you have never done it before . Use a small belt sander with 80 grit and a angle die grinder with a small sanding disc. You may be able to reuse the stock seat cover if you do not change any of the seats contours. To remove the old cover you will need a steamer to steam the foam to get the factory glue to release. Go slow and be patient as it's stuck on pretty good. You will also need a can of high temp spray glue to glue the gel pad, smoothing foam and for gluing the original cover back down. I hope this helps , sorry for the long dissertation.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have watched numerous videos and had my confidence going in doing a job that is out of my comfort zone but now that your saying I have to steam the OEM cover off I'm not having that happy feeling anymore. I wasn't planning on reshaping but rather just add some gel and smoothing foam. I have looked at the seat numerous times and wonder if there will be enough material around the rubber seat cowl holes after I add the smoothing foam? Did drill the rivets on the rear cowl hole?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Can I just remove the front riders section of the seat peeling the cover off back to the top rigde where the cowl starts? I'm not trying to half ass it just want to only work in the riders area and wonder if the extra work is necessary?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can probably leave the passenger part of the seat on. When I tried riveting the rubber piece back on my rivet was too tight and it split the plastic piece that attaches to the seat so I used small T nuts and screws instead of the rivets and it worked very well. The part of the cover that is on the passenger pad is not glued on so it's easy to remove once you get the rivets off. Only the driver seat is glued, and it is glued very well . Steam and patience. I do not recommend using a heat gun as it will totally screw up the foam and existing vinyl. If you are able to get the cover off and reuse it you might be able to just put the smoothing foam on the top of the driver seat. The factory vinyl is fairly thick and hard so it may hide the transition of smoothing foam to factory foam to suit you. I haven't tried that so I can't say for sure. I am attaching a pic of the factory cover removed so you can see where it is glued.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the pic, did you make the cover that you used? With all the pulling to get the stock cover off is it reusable or stretched to hell? Do you think a hair dryer would work?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes , I made the diamond stitch cover for my seat. I don't think you will have much luck using a hairdryer for the removal. I've always used a steamer and you have to go slow and gentle so you don't tear chunks out of the OEM seat foam. If you can get the cover off you should be able to re-use it. You can use a hairdryer to help soften the vinyl when you are reupholstering the seat. Do you have an automotive upholstery shop near by? That may be the easiest way. Worse case scenario, if you screw it up you can usually find a replacement seat on Ebay for 100 bucks or so.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes , I made the diamond stitch cover for my seat. I don't think you will have much luck using a hairdryer for the removal. I've always used a steamer and you have to go slow and gentle so you don't tear chunks out of the OEM seat foam. If you can get the cover off you should be able to re-use it. You can use a hairdryer to help soften the vinyl when you are reupholstering the seat. Do you have an automotive upholstery shop near by? That may be the easiest way. Worse case scenario, if you screw it up you can usually find a replacement seat on Ebay for 100 bucks or so.
Wow, Very nice job and great look on the saddle.thumb up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very nice! I was thinking of either buying a bandit seat or looking at the corbin seat for my Jackpot. The stock seat sucks. With this, I probably see if there is a place around my home could handle a project like this👍

Sent from my nifty phone!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! I was thinking of either buying a bandit seat or looking at the corbin seat for my Jackpot. The stock seat sucks. With this, I probably see if there is a place around my home could handle a project like this��

Thanks, I have a Bandit seat as well. It's very comfortable but I don't think it looks as good on a Hammer because of the larger passenger seat. That's probably not an issue with the Jackpot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks, I have a Bandit seat as well. It's very comfortable but I don't think it looks as good on a Hammer because of the larger passenger seat. That's probably not an issue with the Jackpot.

Thanks, I had a corbin on my 109 & once it was broken in, it was very comfortable. I just was not sure about how comfortable the bandit seat would be.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I need L-O-N-G-E-R

Great plan, and I had it done to my Moto Guzzi. But on this bike I need another couple inches of length. With my long legs, I tend to sit up on the rear edge of stock seat.

However, I do NOT want to disturb that cowl cover over the pillion, as I think it is very handsome and helps make the bike, so I don't think there is any remedy without colliding with the cowl.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great plan, and I had it done to my Moto Guzzi. But on this bike I need another couple inches of length. With my long legs, I tend to sit up on the rear edge of stock seat.

However, I do NOT want to disturb that cowl cover over the pillion, as I think it is very handsome and helps make the bike, so I don't think there is any remedy without colliding with the cowl.
You may want to try the 2 or 4 inch forward relocation bracket for the pegs/controls. You could have someone add foam to the seat to get a little more leg room and still leave the passenger part of the seat to where you can use the cowl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts