Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very disappointed with the stock seat on my Vegas. :mad: I want to get a Mustang seat but while I'm waiting for it, I need to modify my seat to be more comfortable. I can take the stock seat apart and put better padding in it. My question is, does anyone know what foam to use, or has anyone done this before with any tips?
Thanks in advance for any advice you have on this.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm very disappointed with the stock seat on my Vegas. :mad: I want to get a Mustang seat but while I'm waiting for it, I need to modify my seat to be more comfortable. I can take the stock seat apart and put better padding in it. My question is, does anyone know what foam to use, or has anyone done this before with any tips?
Thanks in advance for any advice you have on this.
I used two bicycle seat gel pads from Walmart in this one:

It's a little lumpy looking, but very comfy. If it sits out in the sun for long though, that gel really retains heat. Beware of boiled nads.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Saddlebag you kill me. Just about spewed coffee everywhere! :ltr:

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Ben, You live very close to one of the finest saddle customizers there is...Rich's Custom Saddles. Look him up. He turned a 150 mile saddle (on a previous bike) into a 700 mile one. He tailors it to your butt like a fitted suit. Well worth the money to be comfortable. Many Iron Butt riders have him redo their saddles.
RicZ

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 for Rich's Custom Seats. Had my stock seat redone last year and have never been happier. Make an appointment and spend half a day in their shop, during which time they take multiple measurements with you sitting on the seat in various positions to determine exactly how the seat should be shaped. You also take several test rides, and your feedback is incorporated. You don't leave the shop until you're satisfied.

Here's a thread I started after I had my seat done by Rich's, with some photos of the process too:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6173

HTH,

Rob

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
+1 for Rich's Custom Seats. Had my stock seat redone last year and have never been happier. Make an appointment and spend half a day in their shop, during which time they take multiple measurements with you sitting on the seat in various positions to determine exactly how the seat should be shaped. You also take several test rides, and your feedback is incorporated. You don't leave the shop until you're satisfied.

Here's a thread I started after I had my seat done by Rich's, with some photos of the process too:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6173

HTH,

Rob
Good thread rob! Got my brain to ticking for this coming winter with a couple IBA rides shaping up....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben, You live very close to one of the finest saddle customizers there is...Rich's Custom Saddles. Look him up. He turned a 150 mile saddle (on a previous bike) into a 700 mile one. He tailors it to your butt like a fitted suit. Well worth the money to be comfortable. Many Iron Butt riders have him redo their saddles.
RicZ
Thanks RICZ I will look him up.

Rob, looking at the Mustang seats, and I can get the front and rear for around $700. I don't have a lot of money at this point, what range would I be looking at for the custom? I like the look of the intergrated front and rear seat. BTW that seat looks freaking awesome on your bike!thumb up

P.S. Any rides coming up in the area soon?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ben: for my seat I paid ~$600 tax included, which included upgrade to leather. Give them a call and they will provide a quote to you over the phone. Also, their website says they have a winter discount right now. Their website also has a video showing what they do: http://www.richscustomseats.com/

I've never had Mustang seats, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I do believe Mustang uses vinyl and not leather...just fyi (double check that as my memory could be wrong). On my previous bike I had Corbin seats and I was very happy with them. They were leather also, but expensive.

For what it's worth, if/when I ever need another seat to replace OEM, I have no doubt I will go back to Rich's.

Thanks for the compliment BTW :)

Rob

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I had such a bad experience with Corbin that I will never deal with them again. I think they put someone high on drugs on my saddle project. Too many problems to mention. Returned it for a redo and when I got it back it was no better. I wrote a snail mail letter to Mike Corbin and never got a reply. Now I rely on customizers like Rich's in Seattle and Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My experience with Corbin was good/ok, but I have definitely read about more complaints than praises in regards to Corbin. For those that complain, it always seems bad enough that they would never do business with them again...

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts