1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Cross Roads
11,500 miles
Original stock rear air shock

I believe that my rear air shock is bad. Due to my weight and bike, I do not have to put any air into the air shock (according to the book). So, is there any difference in just riding with my bad shock vs. a good shock set at 0 psi? Thanks.

John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why do you think your shock is bad? Is it leaking oil? Does it not hold air?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not noticed any oil. However, it will not hold air. I have checked my air pump and it is good. The valve core has good spring to it. I can get air in the shock, but it all goes away when I take my pump off the valve. It always goes back to 0. When I use the pump on a friends Vision, the pump works like it is suppose to. I do not know what else to think, but the shock. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the air stays in as long as the pump is attached then it sounds like the valve stem. Maybe your friend will let you try his valve stem with your bike.

Those that have had their shock fail have had oil leak from it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hope it's something simple. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got off the phone with the dealer, and they can't get me the valve core without my buying the entire shock. I now need to find a valve core to see if that could be my problem.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Valve cores are a standard item and are available at any auto parts store or auto tire supply. First, have yourself a valve core removal tool, then check to make sure the core is in tight. Never use those plastic stem caps - use a metal one with a visible seal on the inside, that make for a secondary air seal.
If you don't have a core removal tool, go to an auto tire store and someone in the shop will give you a combo cap/core tool.
Should you find you need to replace your shock, there have been many posted on Victory Motorcycles - buy sell and trade on Facebook. I bought one with 200 miles for $150. Keeping it as a backup spare.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Take the bags off and have a good look around the shock for any oil leakage should be obvious. If its just the schrader valve that is a super easy fix. I never get that lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I have come across a piece of dirt in needle area just big enough to leak air. Pulled it out reseated it and that fixed the problem.

ht.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I replaced the shrader valve and still the same. That being said, I go back to my original post. Does it make any difference whether my shock is bad or a good shock set at 0? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I never rode with no air, but another Vic owner I know was and when I aired up his shock, he noticed a big difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It seems like they should have a minimum pressure?
I thought in my 2011 chart it showed a minimum, but I just looked on web & is shows lots of zeroes.
Riding with a friend that is ~150, the bike seemed squirrelly. We put 30psi in it & it was more stable in Twisties to them & looked better when I was following.
I had trouble when I first got mine - the volume of air is so small that just popping the pump fitting on & off loses large amounts of the pressure.
By the time you take the pump off & put on gauge to check, you're about done.
Took lots of practice to hold it on, release the catch, and yank it off without losing much.
If you think it's leaking, put it someplace quiet, pump it up to 70, and pull the pump off.
If it's leaking, you should hear it hissing out?
And when you add or release (or leak) air, the bike should obviously go up & down.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
You're joking about using compressed air to fill your rear shock...aren't you?? That's the 11th Commandment; Thou shalt not fillest thy shock with a hose from an air compressor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You're joking about using compressed air to fill your rear shock...aren't you?? That's the 11th Commandment; Thou shalt not fillest thy shock with a hose from an air compressor.
Me? I read thru all the posts & don't see a compressor reference. I used a tiny bike pump when I first got it, but I was losing too much air checking it & was a pain to iterate back & forth between pump & gauge.
I got a Fox mtn bike air shock pump - it has a gauge built on it.
I keep thinking I'll build a small air reservoir to make it more stable, but isn't very high on the project list!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I've always used the compressor. I use very quick little presses with the air chuck. The compressor is set to 85 PSI max, but I never put that much in the shock.

·
13,263 Posts
A spray bottle with dish soap and water. now pump up shock leave pump connected. Spritz water around and look for bubbles. You should be able to find the leak

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you again for all your replies. I am still investigating. I seem to have a dry shock and a dry line from the shrader valve to the shock.
However, I have found that when I air up, and move the air pump line that connects to the valve, I lose whatever air and setting there is.
So, it seems I can get a reading when there is air in a shock, not my shock though.
I may not even be getting air in my shock - I still have more experimenting to do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts