Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had this in the wrong place was told to move it here.
i have the judge and would love to put the hammer front end on there with the double brakes and inverted shocks. dose anyone know if i can just swap the fork tubes over or the whole front end? ive also thought about a sportbike swap from a R1 or Busa. any help would be great
_Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have the judge and would love to put the hammer front end on there with the double brakes and inverted shocks. dose anyone know if i can just swap the fork tubes over or the whole front end? ive also thought about a sportbike swap from a R1 or Busa. any help would be great
_Chris
Well, you cant just swap fork tubes - the Judge has regular forks, the Hammer has inverted forks. You couldnt just swap them either - you would have to remove the entire front end, including the triple trees, from a Hammer in order to get the fork uppers to fit in the triple trees.

I wouldnt know if that would work though... And checking part numbers wont help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
_Chris
Hows it going sands, any updates on your front end swap?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
:ride:Realistically, the limit of stopping power is traction available at the front tire. If your front brake will lock the front wheel you have all the brakes you can use.

The advantage to dual discs up front is resistance to heat fade. If you did repeated stops from speed the single disc would get hot and fade long before the dual discs would.

My bike is single disc. It wears EBC Pro-Lite rotors and EBC sintered (HH) brake pads front and rear. I have never faded the brakes on this bike and it stops with authority. Then again, I'm a very timid flower-sniffing kind of rider ;)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... the limit of stopping power is traction available at the front tire.
That's correct. If someone wants more stopping power, they should look at upgrading their tires before anything else.

The advantage to dual discs up front is resistance to heat fade. If you did repeated stops from speed the single disc would get hot and fade long before the dual discs would.
Going down a long downgrade is a great opportunity to cook the brakes if relied upon for maintaining a lower speed. Continuous, light brake application is not only going to wear the brakes faster, but it will overheat them as well. This is why it's always a good idea to use engine brake for slowing down, and use the brakes only if brakes are needed to stop.

I assume everyone knows this, but my assumption is often times proven wrong whenever I see someone lightly riding the brakes on a long downhill slope.
... I'm a very timid flower-sniffing kind of rider ;)
:ltr: Outta the way, grandma!

·
Registered
848 Posts
To upgrade stopping power ( Ability) you have to do more than just tires.... tires, Brakes, Rotors... lines... Master Cylinder,

As to teh Flower sniffing rider... your right fade resistance is gained with dual rotors... one can generate enough heat on the twisties over using the brakes and end up with some real bad brake fade...

Smart driving and knowning ones capabilities is the key.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Your Hammer 8-Ball is single disc... have you ever faded the brakes on it?
If you are going as fast as you can down the straights, braking hard for the corners, and riding like your lap times are being recorded... yes, you will get the brakes hot (you will also get yourself tired in a hurry). But most of us set a speed that we cruise at and only scrub off a little speed for curves. Riding in this way you will drop a gear and maybe trail-brake a little setting up for curves but rarely even touch the front brake.

Now... the inverted front end? EXCELLENT!!! I'm sure I don't have to tell you... but MAN is that nice.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I think, and could be wrong here, there could be just a touch of sarcasm involved here....:ltr:
Out of our buddy? Noooooooo!! :D

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Teeee... he he heee :ltr:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Your Hammer 8-Ball is single disc... have you ever faded the brakes on it?
Don't matter. To us formerly infatuated sport bike junkies, having a bike without dual disks is like having a Harley without skullz. Some things just ain't right...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
6 piston calipers

upgraded 2 bikes first totally poor 2 piston units on an 06 sportster to a 6 piston unit ferodo sintered pads + braided line big difference but will not lock up tire a 120-70-18 mich sport tour setup not stock, on my 12 bonneville 100 lb lighter with fair factory brakes i used a pretech 6 piston unit, ferodo sintered pads, already had braided line, that baby really STOPS! even with too much fork dive!! vic is pretty heavy 100 lb over the sportster, and a better single or a dual is prolly needed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts