Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When storing your bike in a basement do you cover it or leave it so any moisture and evaporate since a basements temp changes through out a day?

If you do cover it what do you use?
a sheet?
a think piece of plastic like laundry companies use on dry cleaning shirts?
a bike cover?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on your basement. About the only thing you need to cover it for indoors, is dust.

Saying that I would get a GOOD indoor cover that is vented and lined. Matter of fact I would recommend ALWAYS using a VENTED cover.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went out and bought the cheapest set of sheets I could find. All I am trying to do is keep it clean and keep the dam cat off my bikes.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Depending on the environment even sheets will collect and keep moisture.

When you take your sheets off the bike you could have some serious paint and rust problems due to that moisture.

·
Registered
528 Posts

When you take your sheets off the bike you could have some serious paint and rust problems due to that moisture.
+1

I only cover 1 of my bikes. It is custom painted. I use a cotton sheet with a small fan running under it. Not much use covering a bike that is keep inside. You will clean it when you return to riding anyway and inspect for rat's nests. My cat sneaks in the shop every time he gets the chance. He's sneaky but he does get caught in there for a few days at a time. yes I keep a cat litter pan with dry food in there for him. No snake or mouse/rat has a chance with him.

dd

·
Registered
124 Posts

I have been doing this for over 20 years with out any rust or paint damage issues. The cheep cotton sheets are such a low thread count you can almost see through them and they breath. My shop is heated and I work in there all winter sanding, painting, welding etc.. A cover is a must.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If it is always heated then it would be a exception. Condensation can lead to problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts