Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a partial gallon left from my oil change last year. In my area Rotella only comes in gallons. Is it ok to use the leftovers from last year in the bike? Can I use whats left and add to it or should I just use it to top off after a new gallon?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I personally would use it. Some people will say you let moisture in it when it's been opened. But I don't think it's enough to hurt it. I always insure the lid is on tied and use it at the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I'd use it. Now if it were 3 or more years old and the lid had been taken off; then I'd dump it or use it for building an engine or on the bearings of my swamp cooler or some other lube need not in an engine. Synthetic motor oil is the very best lube I've found for that and it doesn't care if the oil is old. Just don't use used oil.

They say oil stays fresh enough for many years if it hasn't been opened. In this case this oil is still fairly new but the opened oil container will be mixed with brand new unopened container oil so no worries. Especially if you're changing your oil ever year.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
There is no problem with "leftover" oil, it's OK to use, UNLESS it's in Northern California and over 500' in altitude. :)

·
12,968 Posts
in winter states and you store it in the garage its not a good idea. Yes condensation will get in.
Just like spray paint. Bring the stuff along with wax in the house for the winter

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would not be concerned one bit. I got a 2-1/2 jug of rotella that I am sure will still be around well into next year. At work oil was bought by the 50 gallon drum. It would be transferred to vented containers in a rack system and sit there forever, never an issue. So I don't see something in a capped plastic container having a problem with water. I would bet that oil would be perfectly fine after 20 years.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
For millions of years it was in the ground before being sucked up to the surface and put into blue jugs? What's a few months?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. Ride safe all!

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
For millions of years it was in the ground before being sucked up to the surface and put into blue jugs? What's a few months?
And the winner is ? RICZZZZZZ

ha ha ha good one ...

Anyway lets say it is humid outside, you went for a ride, and park your bike at home, just so you know, water content is in your parked bike oil, when your engine warms up, it evaporates, it really doesnt matter ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Ricz, will it still be OK if they put it in black jugs? You've got me worried................

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Hey Ricz, will it still be OK if they put it in black jugs? You've got me worried................
No! Avoid at all cost! :devil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts