Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to add straight pipes to my XC. currently have triovals.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Cool......

And......

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i still have a set of the stockers gutted already. but they are slip ons and not tottally gutted. they are gutted from behind the cats.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what you want. Cats still in but no mufflers inside. Then whatever kind of tips you like or can get.
i would have to remove the triovals and switch them for stockers. sounds like a pita

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
The Tri-Ovals with the cats still in the headpipes will produce the best average torque. Whatever you do, you will be losing some grunt at the low end. Additionally, if the bike is tuned for the Tri-ovals (which I am going to assume it isn't) you would be de-tuning it by changing to more open exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
If I was doing mine again Id remove the cats as well I reckon.
Got bucketloads of torque anyway, and wouldnt mind sacrificing some for a bit more growl.
My cans are straight thru 2.5" perforated stainless tube with stainless potscrubbers as sound absorbtion.
Sounds ok but nowhere near as wicked as my Vegas .
It is what it is though and Im not gonna upset the Maximus tune by decatting it

·
Premium Member
13,312 Posts
i would have to remove the triovals and switch them for stockers. sounds like a pita
What did you think you would need to do to get straight pipes on it? Removing a muffler from an X-bike is just 4 bolts and one clamp. Twist and pull.

FWIW; I use a tune made for someone else's bike with a similar stage 2 setup. It must have been made to use with straight through Cherry bomb style mufflers because I actually lost power by putting on Tri-Oval's. I eventually put the 2" cherry bomb modded mufflers back on for both the power and the sound. Has a nice bark when I get on it but not so annoying on the open road it gives me a headache.

You might want to get a hold of Miller mufflers. He does modded stockers with lots of people very pleased with them.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
To loud with straight pipes. You will get really crappy gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Your old enough to decide for yourself. But straight pipes are cop magnets. Also if you do any road riding your ears are gonna kill ya.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i think i still have a set of the stockers gutted already. but they are slip ons and not tottally gutted. they are gutted from behind the cats.
That's what you want. Takes only 30 minutes at most to change mufflers. If you really like that no muffler sound then you can sell the tri ovals.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Gut your stocker set and install glass pack mufflers, like I did. Not so loud you go deaf, but sounds more like a big V twin should. My mileage went up when I did it. And if you do it right, no one will ever know, because they look 100% stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts