Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Punchline: help.

The good: I'm halfway through a once in a lifetime ride from my base near Venice, over the alps through Chamonix, to Normandy, across the beaches and back along the maginot line.

The bad: Italian potholes lead to a metal vs concrete reaction that did in my starter. Either that or my starter happened to give up the ghost on its own with remarkable timing. Regardless I've been push starting Old Girl for 4 countries now.

The ugly: I just snapped the shifter shaft at a roadside 30min south of Paris. I believe it took a hit at the pothole but I admit that 200lb of wet angry frustrated paratrooper may have been a factor.

Does anyone have any kind of connection with repair shops, riders, or parts sources near Paris? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Exactly what part snapped? The horizontal link from the foot lever to the shift shaft lever? The transverse shaft that goes into the primary case? The cast lever that is clamped to that shaft? Help us out here Doc. If it's the last item, the same part from another brand might fit. If it's the horizontal rod,it can be welded. Muffler shops can do welding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transverse shaft that goes into the case. Sheared clean just internal to the bronze bushing. What is the correct nomenclature?
If it was anything external I'd have done something obscene with vice grips and made it to the coast by now 😂

If I can get my hands on a replacement shaft I should be able to do the job on scene. Otherwise I'll have to find a garage i can leave her at for a while

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
The transverse shaft that goes into the case. Sheared clean just internal to the bronze bushing. What is the correct nomenclature?
If it was anything external I'd have done something obscene with vice grips and made it to the coast by now 😂

If I can get my hands on a replacement shaft I should be able to do the job on scene. Otherwise I'll have to find a garage i can leave her at for a while
sounds to me like you need a shift ratchet, theyre designed to shear off on impact to hopefully lessen internal damage (didnt work when mine went down the road!)
Mustve been some massive pothole to snap it off..,.,
Any dealers there you can buy a shift ratchet off, maybe a primary gasket too, sometimes they break getting the primary off, Ive been lucky with the gasket.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I am curious how you are going to get parts there. Are there Polaris/Victory dealers in France.
Do post how this goes.

Since you are stuck in Paris and will need parts that could take a while, if you are looking for something to check out, there is a great military museum at Napoleon's tomb.

The Louvre is worth the price of admission if you like art. (even if you don't like art. good for a few days)

The palace at Versailles is accessible by train from Paris. There are at least two train stations in the city of Versailles, each on a different train line if I remember correctly. One of the stations is only a short walk from the palace. the trick is to take the correct train to the correct station so you don't end up across town from the palace when you get off. Across town is quite a walk.

What an awesome place to be stranded :smile

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
End state: the parts do not exist in France.

Upside is I got the absolute hookup by Fred at https://motoselfservices.com
Not only is he storing the bike until I can get back with parts in a few weeks but he gave me rides and literally invited me into his home for chow.

Ride is on hold but it's turned into a heartwarming morality tale of the international biker family taking care of it's own.

I'm getting the parts shipped to my base in Italy and I'll fly back out to the bike over a weekend. Resuming my vacation by train.

Thanks for all your help!

And that's a good tip about getting the right train. Reminds me of the time I learned the tip about not forgetting your passport in the room safe.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
End state: the parts do not exist in France.

Upside is I got the absolute hookup by Fred at https://motoselfservices.com
Not only is he storing the bike until I can get back with parts in a few weeks but he gave me rides and literally invited me into his home for chow.

Ride is on hold but it's turned into a heartwarming morality tale of the international biker family taking care of it's own.

I'm getting the parts shipped to my base in Italy and I'll fly back out to the bike over a weekend. Resuming my vacation by train.

Thanks for all your help!

And that's a good tip about getting the right train. Reminds me of the time I learned the tip about not forgetting your passport in the room safe.
Glad things are coming together for you.

We didn't have a single bad experience when in France or Europe for that matter. I am going back to Paris someday, It is on my list.

Best pastry on earth, great food, helpful locals, get almost anywhere by subway. I want/need to see the rest of that military museum at Napoleon's tomb. I only got part way through it as we found it late in the day.

A friend used to say a vacation isn't a vacation unless you have an adventure. You have had your adventure, now you can just settle in and be a tourist for the rest of your trip. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I ran that link through google translate. That is quite a find.
Prices don't seem really out of line considering .How did you find that place?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
A wee bit off topic, but this is a great example why I recommend to those wanting to ship their bike to Europe and ride to just rent a bike there. That way, any mishaps are on the rental company. If you have a crash, some countries will not allow the bike to leave until it has been repaired. That can be long after your time there is over and you flew back home.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Doc, I'm concerned about the starter problem. What are the symptoms? What happens when you push the starter button? I'd hate for you to spring for a starter when it might just be the relay or loose battery bolts. Tighten 2 battery bolts and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe, amen to that.
I've been absolutely blessed to get myself stationed in Europe for a few years so give me a shout when you head back this way! I have a decent collection of ride, historical site, and restaurant recommendations.

Just got dead lucky with the shop. Happened to break down in walking distance.

Ricz,
Were I hear for any less time I'd definitely get my hands on something European. Actually Triumph has decent support...

That was my hope... definitely the starter. Kissed a bump of Italian road about 500 miles before it gave out, imagine that had something to do with it.
Of course the thing I forgot to pack was a test light so I fabricobbled a continuity tester with a 12" gator clip splice line and a handful of spare fuses.

As we say in military medicine... if it looks retarded, but it works, it's not retarded.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Doc, I'm concerned about the starter problem. What are the symptoms? What happens when you push the starter button? I'd hate for you to spring for a starter when it might just be the relay or loose battery bolts. Tighten 2 battery bolts and call me in the morning.
If that starter still will not cooperate and you troubleshoot it down to the starter motor itself, It might have gotten water into it at some point which will cause the brushes to hang up eventually, causing it to not operate. You can tell if water has gotten into it by removing the easiest to access starter bolt and seeing if it is rusted.

If the bolt is rusty, you'll have to take the starter motor apart and clean it up so the brushes will move freely again.
You'll want to look at the commutator also to see if it is badly burnt and that the brushes are still good.

At that point you might want to pull the starter motor and take it with you back to your base in your luggage and see if you can get it working again or if you need a order a replacement. I believe the starter motors are available on Ebay for much less than from Polaris. Others here can help you sort that part out. You might have to post again with starter questions to get their attention.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Why is it us GI's figure out all kinds of ways to work around problems? Because seldom do we ever have the funds or equipment we are supposed to. When I was stationed in Oklahoma we had a saying in my aircraft maintenance unit. Nothing is as permanent @ Altus as a temp fix. We were just about the very end of the supply chain if we needed parts.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
new starter

Got me a good deal on a brand new starter from www.dbelectrical.com . They shipped it to me I believe with a new starter solenoid it was like $85. Before you spend the money check the solenoid. I got both figured they are both old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts