Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help.

I have a strange gremlin I'm trying to eliminate.

Two problems. Seems to be related somehow.

1. Turn signals don't blink. If key is on and ignition is off turn signals operate normally.

1a. If I turn on ignition turn signals either work normally or don't work at all. It's dependent on the wheel or some sensor that determines the location of the wheel cause if I inch it forward or backwards the lights stop working.

2. If I start bike it runs for about 1 second then engine light starts to glow and it dies out.

2a. If I start bike and when in neutral walk forwards or backwards before the engine light comes on it will stutter and glow engine light but light goes off then work fine. It will never die out again unless I key off and on again. Then same problem as above.

Bike was laying in its side for a time sert install but that was like 6 months ago. This just happened one week ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry forgot to add. If I start bike and roll forwards or backwards to get past the engine stutter point. The bike runs fine but if I go to use turn signals. It has a long .75 blink and then turns off. Only way to use them is to hold down the turn signals. I don't get a standard blink. I just get .75 sec on .75 sec off flashing.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I'd start by thoroughly cleaning all your battery connections including earths.
Ensure your battery is in good order .
Thats the starting point for any electrical gremlins.
Good Luck.

·
13,235 Posts
Darkflame808

when you post tell us what year and model you have. or do what my red letters say to do

·
13,235 Posts
did you add LED's or have you change anything with the wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No LEDs. It's completely stock. I thought it was a tilt sensor issue being that the bike was gently laid on its side 6 months ago for a time sert installed. I'm thinking its something to do with the sensing of where the wheel is because it reacts to movement of the wheel. Or pulley or something connected to the movement of the wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to post up a video on YouTube explaining what's going on with my bike to give you guys a better visual when I get my next break in about an hour and a half.

·
13,235 Posts
wheels and pulley have nothing to do with it.
don't think your bike is new enough for a tilt sensor.

write Rylan at the vis shop and ask him. Hes a good guy and it might take a couple days but he will get back to you

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks visionjohnny. I'll shoot him an email. For anyone else interested in seeing my problem. I made a simple YouTube video explaining my situation. My engine decided to play nicely and not fart out this time. :)

http://youtu.be/UpCW14DGRHE
Good video.
Have you looked under and around the rear fender to be sure that all the wiring harnesses are intact going to the rear signals and tail light? Maybe some road debris got up in there and hooked a harness out to where it can rub on the tire and it has worn through the insulation and wire or something. Had a friend have a chipmunk eat his handlebar wiring over the winter, he wasn't impressed. Check in front of the tire as well as the sides and back of the fender area. That's definitely a weird one.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Nice looking bike!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Can you put the bike on a stand or jack and rotate the wheels independently to see if 1) it is indeed the moving of the wheels that is related to the problem and 2) which wheel's movement prevents the problem from occurring?

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,235 Posts
it has nothing to do with the wheels.
has to be electrical short. Could be in the switch housing or in the headlight yes under the rear fender.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Will do. I'll have to wait for a day off. Gotta remove the tour bags and all that other fun stuff. Rylan wrote back saying to give the flasher a good inspection too. Once I find this gremlin I'll be sure to post a resolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's probably the wiring harness. On a stand if I rotate rear wheel forward an inch it works. An inch forward it stops working. An inch forward again it woks. An inch forward again I stops working. Is the speedometer tied to the rear wheel? Today while riding my speedometer stopped working when I ran over some rough roadwork. So I figured oh now would be a good time to test my blinkers and they did work for a few seconds. Then my speedometer came back to life and the blinkers farted out. The rear tire is sounding like the area of concern and sure enough I'm sure I have the dreaded harness problem. Two years ago I did bottom out the rear and blew a shock. Upgraded to Penske but the dealers didn't bring any issues to my attention with the wiring. Could have just been time that took its toll from damage that may have occurred long ago. I appreciate the help! I will snap up pics of the harness once I figure out what I need to do to get in there. I'm guessing pulling the seat and saddle bags will get me access to whatever bolts need to be undone. I gotta research it before I fly blind. I love my bike don't want to go in unprepared.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts