Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I come to a stop sign, as I approach I use the engine to help me decelerate. As this is happening I get a weird humming/rubbing feeling in the handlebars. The vibration starts as the RPM's start to fall off. If I just use the brakes it doesn't seem to happen. My bike seems to run fine other wise. I just had the tire replaced in the back. Don't know if this matters or not. Thank you for any and all help =) Bike is in Sig.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Dealing with a similar issue. Both tires replaced at the dealer. Vibration as I decelerate between 60-40 kms/hr. Haven’t been able to get back to the dealer to get them test drive and give an opinion. Belt tension seems good. I can feel the vibration in the floor boards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Time to get the service manual and check that, or get back to the dealer and get them to check it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Time to get the service manual and check that, or get back to the dealer and get them to check it.
You are better off getting the service manual and doing it yourself. Most guys run the belt with a little more slack than what is in the manual. There is a procedure but I doubt if most mechanics actually follow them.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
kinda reminds me a steering bearing issue i had on a Honda a couple of years ago.... as you ride the bike.. get up to about 30-40 let off on the throttle and very litle hang on to the handlebars.. if you get a wobble.. its the steering bearing. This was a known issue in Honda and some Harley but i have not heard of this on a VIC

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I’ve always thought this issue was a belt issue. I will report my findings once I dig into it with the service manual. If I was s betting man, I would say both our issues are belt related, not tire related.

·
13,002 Posts
standing alongside you bike walk the bike into a curb. If you feel it kind of buckle then you have loose stem nut.
Look at the top of your belt do you see a shiny rub mark on belt. If so the belt is rubbing on the inside of the front sprocket cover

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
standing alongside you bike walk the bike into a curb. If you feel it kind of buckle then you have loose stem nut.
Look at the top of your belt do you see a shiny rub mark on belt. If so the belt is rubbing on the inside of the front sprocket cover
Do you mean walking beside the bike and run the front tire into the curb? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I had a similar sensation during the 1st-2nd season with the bike and the belt was stupid tight. I run it much looser now. It tightens up as the bike heats up. If it was too tight when it was cold, it'll be VERY tight when the bike is hot.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I ordered the belt tension measuring tool from the dealer to help with this situation.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I think he means to walk the back tire into a curb.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran my front tire into the curb and felt nothing. It felt solid. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable today for some reason.

·
13,002 Posts
I ran my front tire into the curb and felt nothing. It felt solid. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable today for some reason.
Good going. If the steering was loose you would feel a wear bump.
did you look at the top of the belt for a shiny rub mark

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are tires "cupped"? In the past I've felt a vibe in turns at speed due to a cupped tire front and or rear, and wobbly bars at low speed due to cupped front. Just a thought.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good going. If the steering was loose you would feel a wear bump.
did you look at the top of the belt for a shiny rub mark
My belt looks perfectly clean. No weird or odd marks. I think my rear brake may be dragging a little.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
kinda reminds me a steering bearing issue i had on a Honda a couple of years ago.... as you ride the bike.. get up to about 30-40 let off on the throttle and very litle hang on to the handlebars.. if you get a wobble.. its the steering bearing. This was a known issue in Honda and some Harley but i have not heard of this on a VIC
I've had 3 'Wings and all of 'em that the vibration at 'round 35-40 mph. In designers' terms it called: the dreaded trail over rake controversy. Depending on how far the wheels are apart, the front wheel juts out from the frame, and how heavy the bike is... you'll get more or less steering head vibration. It'll even happen on NEW bikes. This harmonic has plagued motorcycle builders since the dawn of time.

Although, I don't believe this is your problem Cali Phil. It's a vibration set-up with the wheels and speed. It typically occurs at a given speed and not necessarily while accelerating or decelerating. It's not a tank slapper but, ya sure can feel it if ya remove yer hands from the bars when it happens. In this respect I don't think it's yer problem Cali Phil.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put my bike on a lift and had my wife hold the ass end so it wouldn't fall. I grabbed the forks and slowly rotated them side to side. It felt perfectly smooth. Pushed and pulled on the forks and they felt solid. Lowered the bike took off the Bullet Fairing and the click is either gone or drowned out by the gas sloshing in the tank. Don't know what else to do. Found a shop that would do the bearings if needed and I think I may just take it in and have them look the bike over and see what they think.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts