Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting in my car port for about 2 months. I went for a ride the other day and I noticed my front brake was really touchy as I pulled out of the driveway. So I am cruising down the road about a block from my house and the front end started bobbing down when I was shifting gears. Then my bike started bogging down and it just stopped in the middle of the road. I had to almost floor it to get pulled off the side of the road I noticed the front brakes were smoking. I pumped the front break lever and it was hard as a rock. I really squeezed it hard and it made a kind Of popping noise and it released the caliper, then it was fine after that. I was kind of leery of riding it after that, but it hasn't happened again. Any ideas what happened?

·
12,983 Posts
Sounds like the pistons on the brake stuck out. I would do a fluid change on it.
Its simple to do get a turkey baster and suck out "most" of the fluid not all. Then pour in new fluid bleed breaks check to see master cylinder doesn't run dry. Keep bleeding till you see new color fluid come out. All auto stores sell break fluid.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Bleed out the rear fluid too. Since your bike is stored outdoors, that should be done every spring before you go for the first ride. If the fluid in the reservoirs is ANY darker than new fluid, change it. The darker color is water and yes, brake fluid (and oil) DO absorb moisture. Those who store their bikes indoors, fluid change should be done no more than two year intervals.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Make sure you get the right fluid. Not sure about your bike, but mine takes DOT 4. Putting 3 in it will cause problems

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
If my brakes locked up like that, I would disassemble the caliper and find out what happened. Changing the fluid won't fix that I'm pretty sure. I would guess some type of contamination has gotten in the system, debris or condensation, and caused the brakes to bind up. That happens to a lot of the old bikes I buy to sell and fix up. Usually, I don't even have to replace any parts. Just clean the system out and make sure everything is not pitted and is clean. Coat the parts with clean brake fluid and reassemble. Then bleed them. If the caliper looks ok, then I would do the same to the master cylinder.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Along with the caliper sticking im sure the slides for the brake pad were frozen too. take the caliper apart, lube slides and change out fluid as everyone else said

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the tips! That is what I like about this forum, nobody says take it to the dealer, they tell you what to do to fix it yourself. The dealer here is really no help. They charged me $350 for my first oil change so I will not be going back for anything if possible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are getting good advice. One other thing I would do would be to see if you can remove and clean the piston and spring part of the master cylinder.

An easy way to lock up the brakes, besides the ones mentioned already is to have a tiny fleck of rust in the bleed down port of the master cylinder. The slave cylinders (piston in the front caliper) normally get pushed back off the rotor by tiny amounts of runout in the rotor. This requires that when you do not have the handle squeezed that fluid is free to flow back from the pistons through a bleed port into the reservoir. It sounds as if yours perhaps could not bleed back for awhile.

The change out of the brake fluid is vital for long trouble free operation of any brake system. Especially ABS systems. It is good to cycle the ABS system to force it to change out the fluid. On some cars I am familiar with, you can do this with a computer hooked up. Not sure how to do it on these bikes. But I would at least get on a dirt road and actuate the ABS a few times after putting in new fluid, this will change out the fluid trapped in the ABS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts