Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the judge has a strap running across the passenger seat. Im not exactly sure what the functional use is of it. Ive heard there are laws that say there must be something for a passenger to hold onto other then the rider. I have heard its rated to hold the bikes weight if you need to pick it up (find this one hard to believe). Ive heard its pointless and just for looks.

Any input?

·
Registered
415 Posts
The law dates way back into the sixties. I don't know how old you are but some of us can remember the old bikes that had that silly strap running across the seat way back then. The government mandates that the passenger must have a point to hold onto that is not the rider in front of him/her and that grab point must be the bike.

Of course we all know that the strap on the seat is useless but it has also become part of the look of a lot of bikes. Take a close look at any bike with a stock seat on it and you'll probably see the strap somewhere. If there isn't a strap then you'll see grab rails of the type that Harley has used on Electra-Glides.

Nowadays that strap has actually become part of the styling on some bikes.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I use the Victory touring seat for long rides involving the ol'lady . I removed the strap . It was useless .cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense, I have seen it before. But my only other bike was a KLR and had grab points on the side. So I'm curious now though...I read that they can be used (if needed) to pick the bike up. Are they weighted for the 660ib judge? The video I found buddy picked up a bike probably 200lbs lighter using the strap as a one of 2 pull points. Clearly I wouldn't want to haul it around like that. But in an emergency is it designed to take the weight of the bike, or just a passenger?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont want to be in that panic state god forbid my (or anyone else i may happen on in the future) bike is down and I race over to pick it up...only for it to break and drop again.

I day dream stupid **** like this all the time. Playing over different scenarios in the ol brain box. I dont even want to get into how many times I've planned my escape from a sinking ship while laying sleepless in my rack at sea.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I certainly would NOT pick up , or secure my bike , by that strap .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a funny feeling that your fall arrest harness isn't made from the hides of baby Naugah's, i.e. Naugahyde.
hahaha well no but i wasn't sure if it was some craaaazy reinforced hard point I hadnt heard of made with the stuff my harnesses are made of...but i guess that info would have made the owners manual. Gimme a break I'm on midnights and should be asleep! Stupid sunny -4C day.

·
13,242 Posts
Take it off and don't look back. Put it on when you sell the bike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the roads are clear and it's -4°C then you should get out and ride!!

My record is -6°F and I can tell you that I won't do THAT again!!!
I would but there is more snow in the forecast this week. Once i get my bike home its in the driveway until we move into our new place. I bought it Feb of last year. Took it out first week of march 5 or 6C GORGEOUS first week of march...then snow for a week. Nothing I hate more then seeing my bike in a snow bank...ugh that pissed me off. What I get for being anxious. I figure we we'll be done with snow in a week or two tops...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts