Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know how I missed after a year and a half of f-ing w this bike that I notice the downtubes are bolted at the bottom. Seems easy to fab a steel dom tube spacer to stretch the downtubes. Theres the tank lift I have wanted.

I'm guessing the ass end would just pivot. Would this jack the backbones ? Would u have to stretch the back bones too. Stretching the swing arm a bit or going to single sided would be nice too. Anyone know how to get a longer belt made ?

Any thoughts on geometry and frame integrity ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like your ideas bigsteveo, :cool: i like the idea of chain/sprocket conversion. You can change the swingarm and shock linkage. Busa rear wheel maybe, food for thought :D
That cast rear sub frame must weigh a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
I think the reason we don't see a lot of these kind of changes to the Vic's is because the engine is a supporting member of the frame. A lot of thought and engineering went into making it strong the way it is. By changing the geometry you might very well be looking for a problem down the road.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
The bolt-on tubes under the engine and the downtubes are only there to have a place to attach foot controls and are not structural. The "FRAME" starts at the front motor mount below the steering head and arcs back to the swingarm, the engine is part of it.

If you stretched the tubes, it would have to be done between the front motor mount and the steering head. The angle/arc of the backbone from the steering head to the rear engine mount would need to be changed. A complete chassis redesign.

If you wanted a chopper, why didn't you just buy one?

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Wow! That's a trick front end on that Hammer or JP (can't tell which). Might even be a modified Vegas or KP.

Interesting how they bowed it backwards to keep the overall length shorter. Presumably for handling reasons.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Isn't the essence of a chopper to buy a bike and chop it. ? I guess I'm just not satisfied being a cake decorator. I personally hate a big raked out front end. I just think the vic needs a bit of a change to be where I like. My current favs are walz bikes. Would be sick to stretch out the vic in length and drop it.

Www.walz-hardcore-cycles.com

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Isn't the essence of a chopper to buy a bike and chop it? I guess I'm just not satisfied being a cake decorator.
Get to choppin' then. Admittedly, for me to comment on threads like this is probably a bad idea at the onset. To me the way a bike looks is secondary to how well it works. Most people's idea of customizing looks like 'how to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle' to my eye. I would never compromise function to achieve a certain look (I don't decorate).

That said, the Victory chassis design doesn't lend itself well to chopping.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would never do anything that would compromise performance or integrity of the structure. You can absolutely chop up any bike but anyone that does it without thinking of the integrity or performance etc is digging a grave.

Doing things right is first and foremost

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think I'd get rid of the downtubes, even if they supposedly do nothing.
I'd really have to see one put thousands of miles on it without those tubes. even on bad roads, and then I'd have to have the factory tell me everything was still in line.

·
Registered
107 Posts
oh yeah, I just spent 4 times more money on a project than I thought it would cost. and about 5 times longer than I thought to do it.
it was a frame modifying custom project.
be careful when jumping into a project like that, it'll cost you a lot more than you think in the end. probably .
awesome looking front end on that bike though. I'd love to see how the suspension actually works.

oh, I think you'd be better off trying to find a longer belt, than in trying to get the factory to make a longer one.
if no longer belt is available, then you may have to use two shorter belts, and have an intermediate shaft somewhere in the system.

·
12,970 Posts
So I don't know how I missed after a year and a half of f-ing w this bike that I notice the downtubes are bolted at the bottom. Seems easy to fab a steel dom tube spacer to stretch the downtubes. Theres the tank lift I have wanted.

I'm guessing the ass end would just pivot. Would this jack the backbones ? Would u have to stretch the back bones too. Stretching the swing arm a bit or going to single sided would be nice too. Anyone know how to get a longer belt made ?

Any thoughts on geometry and frame integrity ?

longer swing are you have to go to chain. Then you have to find sprockets front and rear.

Call forking by frank for long tubes

·
Registered
107 Posts
really? well, it worries me like , well, I don't know,. I just don't like it. too weird I guess.
although, if it's just a pinchbolt holding the tube on, then for sure it's not doing any tough duty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lloyd had a 200 HP turbo Vegas... the turbo sat where the downtubes used to be... He said it made no difference at all in the bike.
200hp? was that necessary? no, I suppose not. it couldn't have made him get to 0-60 much faster. the bike already goes 0-60 in like, 2.5 seconds or something.
sounds awesome though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts