Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What would you recommend for repair of a stripped oil drain hole?

I found a drain plug repair kit on Amazon and was wondering if this might work:

Sump Plug/Oil Drain Repair/Rethreader Kit M12 - M13 Thread AN044

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Sump-Plug-Drain-Repair-Rethreader/dp/B01M6D8OSO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=m12+oil+drain+plug+repair&qid=1560284745&s=automotive&sr=1-2[/ame]

Thank you :nerd

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
The Time Sert repair is the best but however and whatever your budget is will determine which way you fix it.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-1-50-Metric-Drain-Repair/dp/B003SER3PA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m12+oil+drain+plug+repair+time+sert&qid=1560294509&s=automotive&sr=1-1[/ame]

A lot of people are foregoing draining the oil the traditional way due to this very reason. What they're doing is using an electric fluid pump to drain it from the oil fill spot and changing the filter. I may start doing this myself. The only downside is when you use a magnetic plug and need to check/clean it at every oil change.

Here's a cheap one from Walmart if you wanted to try this method. It's also good for changing trans fluid in cars/trucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-12V-Oil-Diesel-Extractor-Electric-Transfer-Pump-Fuel-Fluid-Motor-Exchange-Scavenge-Suction-Transfer-Pump/189861237

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Time Sert repair is the best but however and whatever your budget is will determine which way you fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-1-50-Metric-Drain-Repair/dp/B003SER3PA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m12+oil+drain+plug+repair+time+sert&qid=1560294509&s=automotive&sr=1-1

A lot of people are foregoing draining the oil the traditional way due to this very reason. What they're doing is using an electric fluid pump to drain it from the oil fill spot and changing the filter. I may start doing this myself. The only downside is when you use a magnetic plug and need to check/clean it at every oil change.

Here's a cheap one from Walmart if you wanted to try this method. It's also good for changing trans fluid in cars/trucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-12V-Oil-Diesel-Extractor-Electric-Transfer-Pump-Fuel-Fluid-Motor-Exchange-Scavenge-Suction-Transfer-Pump/189861237

What are people doing to strip the threads? over tightening? or cross threading? I'm thinking that when the crush washer compresses it is easy to over tighten. Maybe I'll go back to using no crush washer like I had on my 04 as the plug stops dead when the head hits the motor. 10 years and never leaked a drop.:grin

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
What are people doing to strip the threads? over tightening? or cross threading? I'm thinking that when the crush washer compresses it is easy to over tighten. Maybe I'll go back to using no crush washer like I had on my 04 as the plug stops dead when the head hits the motor. 10 years and never leaked a drop.:grin
they shouldnt be allowed near tools,
first buy an old lawnmover, pull it down and rebuild it, I tore my dads mower apart when I was 13 and put it back together and it ran.
Experience tells you how tight a bolt can be without stripping.
Victory provide an Allen wrench to tighten by hand the sump plug.
Yet some persist with torque wrenches...
I reuse crush washers and hand tighten, never any problem, always tighter to undo but a ring spanner slipped over the Allen wrench adds enough leverage for anti- clockwise turn.

Anti- clockwise in the digital age could cause some grief too.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
first buy an old lawnmover, pull it down and rebuild it, I tore my dads mower apart when I was 13 and put it back together and it ran.
I reuse crush washers and hand tighten, never any problem, always tighter to undo but a ring spanner slipped over the Allen wrench adds enough leverage for anti- clockwise turn.

Crush washer should save it from too much torque but maybe less threads than there should be on the pan?
I've never stripped a plug but I only tighten it enough to hold a couple pounds of oil not an oil tanker worth. :)

It's good to know there are ways to fix it. Hope the OP gets it resolved soon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tried a lawnmover in shop

Nailed it dude. However, I tried to do the whole lawnmower rebuild thing in High school shop......Got distracted rebuilding a 327 Chevy with high lift cam , high-rise intake and headers and a Muncie 4 speed (In a 57 hardtop) and never finished the damned mower. Shop teacher was gonna fail me on the mower (rightfully so) and I said Hell man, I rebuilt a high performance v8 ...He said a bad word and gave me an "A"... At any rate, I still have NEVER stripped an oil plug.....use fingers, even an occasional new crush washer.....Makes my head hurt when these guys say "Yea I had the torque wrench set right and it just stripped". Oh well, live an learn boys and girls. ;-) LMYR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts