Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, new member here. I just bought my first bike, a victory octane! Bad news is I managed to strip not one but both drain holes on the oil pan on the first oil change. Im kicking myself pretty hard… so i want to re tap the holes myself. It looks simple enough to do. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to them or if anyone had any advice or tales of caution. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,793 Posts
I fortunately (for me) don't have a lot experience with stripped plugs like this but I have heard the Time Sert is the better product to use. You have to figure out what size to get. Maybe someone here knows of the top of their head. I don't. I'm not sure it's in the service manual either but you can look in my signature line to find a link to some manuals.

I sounds like someone before you used gorilla strength when he should have used chimpanzee strength to tighten those plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks man. I was also worried about leaving metal shavings in the oil pan after tapping it. I thought i could just flush some oil down the pan to rinse out. Also just making sure, its an aluminum pan right?

·
Premium Member
15,793 Posts
Awesome thanks man. I was also worried about leaving metal shavings in the oil pan after tapping it. I thought i could just flush some oil down the pan to rinse out. Also just making sure, its an aluminum pan right?
Yes, some kind of aluminum alloy, and you can put grease on the cutting bit to capture most or all the shavings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts