Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 42,000 miles and several oil changes, I stripped the dam plug on my 2012 X Roads.
Almost bought the time sert kit on Amazon. Made a call to local Indian / Victory dealer
they " have done several" seems Polaris still uses a steel plug in the Indian.

Cost me $110.00 to have them do it , money well spent.

Great dealer in Erie Pa, Off Road Express & mechanic Gary.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So you going to pony up for a torque wrench? Uga Duga is not a good plan with aluminum involved.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,353 Posts
So you going to pony up for a torque wrench? Uga Duga is not a good plan with aluminum involved.
For a drain plug?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've posted this before but it bears repeating once in awhile. Torque values are an Engineering spec factored based on material, thread size, etc. Being on paper they are also DRY calculations. When wet, with oil, grease, water, thread locker, anything; the factors change. Look at any advanced torque scale any you'll see measurements for dry and lubricated fittings. When you drain the oil out of the bike there is oil left on the threads so will require less effort to achieve the same clamping force.

As a kid watching my dad work on our vehicles he always told me the cars use 30 weight oil so reduce the torque 30% on lubed fittings. Might not be exact but it's close and easy to remember. Matter of fact there are more advanced lubricants that drop the torque up to 60% per their data sheet. Check out the tables that include a lubricated list and you'll see the 12 pound feet of torque quoted should actually be in the range of 8.

My 2¢

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I've posted this before but it bears repeating once in awhile. Torque values are an Engineering spec factored based on material, thread size, etc. Being on paper they are also DRY calculations. When wet, with oil, grease, water, thread locker, anything; the factors change. Look at any advanced torque scale any you'll see measurements for dry and lubricated fittings. When you drain the oil out of the bike there is oil left on the threads so will require less effort to achieve the same clamping force.

As a kid watching my dad work on our vehicles he always told me the cars use 30 weight oil so reduce the torque 30%. Might not be exact but it's close and easy to remember. Matter of fact there are more advanced lubricants that drop the torque up to 60% per their data sheet. Check out the tables that include a lubricated list and you'll see the 12 pound feet of torque quoted should actually be in the range of 8.

My 2¢
Words of wisdom.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
146 Posts
I quit using the drain plug a couple years ago. Too much risk of stripping it out. Put it in with small amount of sealant after cleaning the threads and leave it alone. Now I use a vacuum tank to suck out the oil. Put the vacuum tube down through the fill port (dipstick). Move the tube around to suck out anything that might have settled in the corners.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
36 oil changes over 160,000 miles. Haven't stripped it yet.

·
Registered
2013 Cory Ness Cross Country Tour #30
16 Posts
Hi , Just bought a victory judge with 1700 miles on clock , would love to make to 160000, could you tell me what oil your using , I think I will use it , cheers Bill
I’d like to know the same as I’d like to get big mileage on mine . Whatever he is using seems to work

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Just curious with that mileage what oil have you been using? Trouble free 160000 ?
Lucas 20/50 MC oil. Internally, just the starter clutch.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,353 Posts
Regular oil changes of any oil will get you many trouble free miles out of all motors.
Assuming you don't do something silly and add oil that will slip the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Reactions: BBob and Marco57

·
Premium Member
9,230 Posts
Vic comes with an Allen wrench for oil bung, use that and you'll never strip it,
Unless you're a gorilla, if you are just stop when it's tight.
Over 200,000 on all my Vic's and lots of oil changes.
@Marco57
DownUnder Oil I swear by is PENRITE 15-50 Semi Synthetic Diesel, often on special in 10 litre drums, does both bikes with a coupla litres left over.
Ryco Z411 oil filter

Only time a Torque Wrench went near my Vic was when I fitted VM1 cams to the XC

On another tangent since the world went digital ,
anti-clockwise means nothing to a millennial....
Pays to think twice when laying under your Vic to undo the oil drain bung!
Expensive lesson @Amboymike

·
Premium Member
9,230 Posts
Thanks for the tip👍🏻The Ryco‘s would have to be a shitload cheaper than the K&N 198’s
Yep, also due to higher stock turnover they're cheaper than the Z429 that also fit or the supposed motorcycle specific RMZ122
if you can get a Wix 51358 or 51356 they fit too, Some places stock Wix, I use Wix in my big block Buick so rang the supplier in Brisbane and got the info on them.
My local Repco has always got the Z411s
They also carry a cheaper Silverline that fits but I prefer to go with the name brand in my Victorys

Reactions: Marco57

·
Registered
690 Posts
"Vic comes with an Allen wrench for oil bung, use that and you'll never strip it,"

This!

As for the "Anti Clockwise"....................Righty tightey / Lefty loosey still seems to be the simplest instruction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts