Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'll try to limit my first questions to two...

I was bikeless form 08 until this August when I encountered a '06 Vegas with 6400 miles on it. It was a sweet looking bike, sounded great, rode better. Bought it with little info on Vegas. While it passed the initial mechanic inspection with nothing besides what the owner declared (took it to a dealer in the area), I had a few issues.

First, at the dealership, the service guy asked if it was an 8 Ball or a Kingpin. My paperwork has nothing to distinguish it as either an 8 Ball or a Kingpin, it just says Vegas. I've tried to find info but am feeling pretty stupid. Is there just a Vegas, or in 06, was it either a Vegas 8 Ball or Vegas Kingpin? If it is an 8 Ball or Kingpin, how do I tell?

Second, when I took it in to get the repair that was declared (rear brake rotor and pads), the mechanic noticed problems with my break line and also saw problems with my belt. Had the break line repaired, but the belt apparently got rocks in it which subsequently damaged the belt and sprocket. Anyone else ever have this?

Any insight into this would be great and helpful! I've included a pic of the bike below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,186 Posts
Howdy and welcome mate!

You have a regular Vegas. Not a Kingpin and not an 8 Ball. It's also a California bike. I can tell by the canister on the left side in front of the rear tire.

As far as the belt goes; lots of people put a little rock through the belt and keep riding. The key thing to look at is where the rock went through. If it went through the middle but the sides of the belt are still intact and the hole is, say, no more than 1/4" big then you might be able to ride it until the belt wears out. If it's torn on the edge; replace the belt.

As far as the pulley goes; it's a judgement call but if it's just a nick then you can use a dremel or maybe files depending on where the nick is and just smooth it up and make sure it doesn't have anything that extends out into the belt.

Some pics of the belt and pulley would be a big help here.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
I just want to say welcome and i like the name BighYella, ha ha ha

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Sounds to me like the service guy could be a Victory novice.
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds to me like the service guy is a Victory novice.
Welcome to the forum
I fixed this for you =) Welcome aboard. I have an 06 Vegas 8ball. The 8ball is total black frame motor etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should amend my last question...

I'm not interested in grilling the mechanic :)

My interest is in trying to prevent or minimize further rock damage to the belt and sprocket.

I can't take or send pics, as it's already repaired, but I live on a partially gravel road, so rocks are a part of life.

Are there any tips for protecting my belt and sprocket? I have about 100 yards each way (in and out) over gravel, then a 20 foot cement driveway into my garage.

And a 3rd question, has anyone found a decent centerstand for the Vegas?

·
13,003 Posts
every oil change clean belt with soap and water with a tooth brush.
If you don't do your own oil changes maybe you should think about it. Not a hard job.
Keep your eyes and ears open for the rocks. Maybe once a week check the belt and brush off dry dust with a dry brush.

The old owner might of over used the rear brake. Learn to stop with front brake and slow down with rear break.

Shocked your dealer couldn't tell you what model you have.
By the way what was the name of the dealer

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
VJ, how can one over- use a rear brake?
Mines gone with the wind so maybe I overused mine, they only designed to last 389,654 applications after all.
Forget about a centrestand mate, get yrself a cheap ATV lift and slip wedges under to take care of the Vee in the sump.
Now your belt. I got over 84,000 kms on mine and thats half if what some folks here are approaching!
Mines had a central rock hole for well over 30 thou of those!
Theres a guy on here who rides the roughest roads imaginable on a Vision no less!
He had fabricated a belt guard extraordinaire!
And when I asked about it he emailed me detailed pix.
As of yet I havent actually tried to copy his design, I just try to stay off gravel roads,
I think the worst is the roadworks they do around here with that bloody 'chip-seal' gooey sharp stones that flick everywhere.
Rollin' is the guys nic on here and if you can catch him not riding he may send you the plans too.
Oh and I never toothbrush my belt with soapy water and I bet the other high belt milers laugh at that töo :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the heads up on Rollin'. I'll look him up today. I am hoping not to encounter the problem I had this time again. The guard is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'd love to get my hands on his plan and see if I can either make it or have it built to fit my bike.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Anyone used these stands and can report in it..does it scrape on corners before the sidestand does?
My sidestand is the second thing that scrapes after my pegs.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Interesting paint scheme, very nice!
I'd lose the topbox and screen but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
Yes it is a GREAT site

But please read about that centre stand, people ordered and rerurned this item many times ... There are some good center jacks out there, that are easy to use ...

Agreed with MbX all points .... And you CANNOT overuse a rear break as it is the same as the front ... This means from 200 Km/hour to 0 km/h on a single disk is NOT a problem ..... Why would a rear that you use only 30% compare to 70% be a problem ... So if some super GURU uses ONLY the rear brake for a few years this would be the same as only using your front (on the calipers, not safety wise)

Apparently vic rear have sometimes problems ....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting paint scheme, very nice!
I'd lose the topbox and screen but thats just me.
I'll probably lose the box in the back this spring or at the start of summer. I teach at a college and while the previous owner used it to haul his dog around, I use it to store my laptop and briefcase when commuting. It feels more secure than strapping my case to the sissybar.

The screen, though... I like it. Rode my Virago without and didn't like fighting the wind all the time. :) I figure whatever makes your ride better is worth keepin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good call on the center stand. A friend advised building some kind of 2x4 contraption to put under a jack. I'd like to have something that takes the pressure off the front forks/suspension when not in use, but maybe it's unnecessary. We are just entering winter and had some snow, though it's gone now, last night. Can't ride in that stuff.

Yes it is a GREAT site

But please read about that centre stand, people ordered and rerurned this item many times ... There are some good center jacks out there, that are easy to use ...

Agreed with MbX all points .... And you CANNOT overuse a rear break as it is the same as the front ... This means from 200 Km/hour to 0 km/h on a single disk is NOT a problem ..... Why would a rear that you use only 30% compare to 70% be a problem ... So if some super GURU uses ONLY the rear brake for a few years this would be the same as only using your front (on the calipers, not safety wise)

Apparently vic rear have sometimes problems ....

·
Registered
426 Posts
On oil changes I use 2 2x6 boards about 18 inches long with an angle cut on the ends so the bike can roll up on it easier. Then put 2 squared off pieces under the side stand so it is high as the wheels.

·
13,003 Posts
BiggYella

say that belt guard that Rollin made Harley use to have them on there bikes for well over ten years. You might find one on craigslist or at a swap meet this winter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts