Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used pair off this site. Very happy with the whole transaction, BTW. Me and another Victory buddy worked on our bikes today and I installed them. Then noticed a machine drilled hole on the front end of the right grip, obviously came that way from the factory. Neither one of us can figure out what it's for (if the hole was on both sides I would figure a tie down point maybe). I know someone here knows. Thanks in advance. Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Thanks for asking the question. I also have the passenger grab handles on my CCT and have wondered what that threaded hole was for as well. I was very impressed with these parts as they look strong enough to lift the entire bike with. The thickness of the brackets is amazing.

·
Registered
931 Posts
It goes along with the threaded hole on the left front of the engine every one asks about :D just kidding I have no clue

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts

I'm not sure if it's a M10 1.25 pitch thread. If so, the RAM ball mount would screw in their and it cold indeed hold a beverage. If so, that would be some seriously forward thinking engineering.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ohh. I see. You mean a stupid question about hand grips.

I thought you meant that you were toting around a moron that didn't know enough to hold on. I was going to refer you to my brother in law.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

I thought you meant that you were toting around a moron that didn't know enough to hold on. I was going to refer you to my brother in law.
I have nothing to add to this thread, but I don't care. that deserves a LOL :ltr:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Bought a used pair off this site. Very happy with the whole transaction, BTW. Me and another Victory buddy worked on our bikes today and I installed them. Then noticed a machine drilled hole on the front end of the right grip, obviously came that way from the factory. Neither one of us can figure out what it's for (if the hole was on both sides I would figure a tie down point maybe). I know someone here knows. Thanks in advance. Glenn
Well, more than a year has gone by since I asked that question, too; see this thread: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11314 .

No one knew then, and no one seems to know now. (Or if someone does know, he or she is keeping it to themselves.)

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
I am trying to imagine this hole in the handle, but my imagination is tired. Can someone post a pic?

Yeah, I also got excited when I saw the "stupid passenger..." thread, but what a let down!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, you guys are funny....

......and for the record, it is not threaded. Attached is a picture, sorry it came out upside-down, the front of the bike is at the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Here it is, showing both handles. Only on the right-side bracket, only in front, and about 0.26" in diameter, smooth, finished/coated just like the rest of the bracket. Not mentioned in owner's manual, shop manual, or the instructions (on my site -- http://www.billanddot.com/passenger-grabrail-instructions.pdf ) that come with the grab rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Cross Country w/multiple adaptations
154 Posts
I'm guessing it would be a good place to mount a passenger intercom connection bracket? maybe forward thinking before all the bluetooth came out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its for a Ram Mount cup holder. The passenger arm rests that mount to the trunk also have the Ram Mount cup holder ability pre-installed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Its for a Ram Mount cup holder. The passenger arm rests that mount to the trunk also have the Ram Mount cup holder ability pre-installed.
Call me skeptical, late for dinner, anything you like, but I don't think so. It looks much too small for the usual RAM threads (as found, for instance, on the accessory piece that mounts by the clutch lever). Remember, this hole -- in the passenger grab rails -- is unthreaded, and is only about a quarter inch in diameter.

On the off chance that I'm wrong (again), you have any links showing a cup holder in the passenger grab rails (not the arm rests)?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Call me skeptical, late for dinner, anything you like, but I don't think so. It looks much too small for the usual RAM threads (as found, for instance, on the accessory piece that mounts by the clutch lever). Remember, this hole -- in the passenger grab rails -- is unthreaded, and is only about a quarter inch in diameter.

On the off chance that I'm wrong (again), you have any links showing a cup holder in the passenger grab rails (not the arm rests)?
Not going to call you stupid. If you want respect you must give respect. No pics and I may be way off base with saying its a cup holder mount but the hole size you describe seems plenty large enough to mount a cup holder too. That's not a lot of weight and it shouldn't take a very large hole.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I agree it could likely be for a RAM ball mount. The RM ball mount is an M10 with a 1.25 thread pitch. Maybe you could simply run a M10 1.25 tap in that hole and install the RAM ball.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Would someone try to explain this to me? I'm not trying to be a smartass, and I don't mean to show disrespect to anyone. I'm really just trying to understand this; recall, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I asked this same question concerning the grab-rail hole about a year ago, and it didn't seemed to be answered.

Much of the following comes from the "2012 Pure Victory Gear" catalog (which you can browse at http://issuu.com/studiolgi/docs/vic1-impression-reduce , among other places, if you don't have a paper version).

- The "Passenger Armrest Kit," part # 2878300, is listed on page 7. The description includes this: "Underside of armrest has fitting to accept RAM ball mount (PN: 2877371) for attachments such as a cup holder."

- Part # 2877371, page 30, is simply listed as "RAM Ball." However, just above that on page 30, is this overall description: "RAM Ball and Handlebar Clamp. M10 Thread pitch. Mounts to '09-12 front brake master cylinder or clutch or Handlebar Clamp." (This is what I have; it replaces the underside piece of the clutch mount, and provides three threaded openings for RAM ball threads.) Note that this is your standard, garden-variety, RAM ball, i.e., with 10mm threads, which is about 0.39".

- The Chrome Passenger Handholds, part # 2877480, is listed on page 16. There is no mention of holes, just a note that they will limit the openings of soft saddlebags.

- Per my measurement, the hole in the right-side passenger grab rail -- which is what started this discussion -- is about 0.26", which is about 6.6mm.

So, Victory lists two parts that specifically mention using RAM balls, the Passenger Armrests and the Handlebar Clamp. Both of these pieces also mention the RAM ball itself, part # 2877371, which is the normal size ball/threads and appears to be the only RAM ball that Victory sells.

Given all that, this is why I'm confused about comparisons of the hole in the grab rail to an opening in the armrests: the hole in the right-side passenger grab rail is much smaller than an opening for a RAM ball (about 40% too small) and it is not threaded. Again, I mean no disrespect -- it just looks to me like any mention of the armrest opening is comparing apples to oranges; if I'm missing something here, I really would appreciate it if someone would clue me in.

It'd be nice if someone from Ma Vic involved in the design of the grab rails would read this thread and just tell us what's up.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It'd be nice if someone from Ma Vic involved in the design of the grab rails would read this thread and just tell us what's up.
Methinks if you are hoping for a factory answer this is the wrong forum. Pop will bet that authorized responses are not permitted on enthusiast boards.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Methinks if you are hoping for a factory answer this is the wrong forum. Pop will bet that authorized responses are not permitted on enthusiast boards.
I hear ya. I was not really hoping -- it was more of just a sigh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts