Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It going to be my first time going to Sturgis. A few of us are riding from Edmonton area.
Looking for some ideas about what and How to Do it. And the 'What not' to Do's.
Right now we are staying at Hawg Heaven in a campsite - tenting it.
Got 3 days to get in a few sights and activities.
I like loud rock, Show and Shines, drinkin ice cold beer, buying crap for my bike and checking out the free entertainment.
This likely soundstypical of a 50 yo biker dude out of the house for week riding a bike to Sturgis, but if anybody has recommendations of some must do's while in Sturgis, I am all ears.... or eyes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It going to be my first time going to Sturgis. A few of us are riding from Edmonton area.
Looking for some ideas about what and How to Do it. And the 'What not' to Do's.
Right now we are staying at Hawg Heaven in a campsite - tenting it.
Got 3 days to get in a few sights and activities.
I like loud rock, Show and Shines, drinkin ice cold beer, buying crap for my bike and checking out the free entertainment.
This likely soundstypical of a 50 yo biker dude out of the house for week riding a bike to Sturgis, but if anybody has recommendations of some must do's while in Sturgis, I am all ears.... or eyes.
You're close enough to mt rushmore and crazy horse that you might as well check them out while you're in the area. Never been to the rally so I can't comment on that part but Sturgis itself is a dinky little town from what I remember of the one time I rode through it. There is a dairy queen though

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
12,972 Posts
skip crazy horse it hasn't changed in 20 years.
There is so much to see that once you go to sturgis you'll go back every year. Go to the net and search whats to see in the black hills will be your best find. Don't go down town sturgis till 6 in the evening. Ride go to devils tower keystone hill city needles hwy custer park the faces spearfish canyon. I put little over 2 thousand miles in the hills. The group I ride with were on the road every day by 10am.
There is not vendors for Vic in sturgis and vendors are open till around midnight.
When its time to go home ups your stuff home. Sturgis is big on not drinking and driving big ticket. Lots of nudity at your camp ground.
Rest stops and stores have this map grab one to see where to go

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Roads in the black hills are some of the best anywhere for motorcycling! We are just taking in the last wknd of Sturgis and then enjoying the roads the week after when it's not quite so crowded. See Rushmore, tour a cave, do what you like but get out there and ride all the great roads!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Here are the routes the buses take.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=ztj6ewg6Com0.kr7SZQ-DUurs

I know it sounds crazy to take a bus while there but like I said, if you plan on partying, this beats a DUI or maybe burning up a clutch trying to get around locally. With 1.2 million expected this year; it might be a traffic jam.

·
12,972 Posts
Eight Ball

this is a must don't forget to do this

out there you can sit in stop an go traffic for some time. Get the bike into Neutral and get your hand off the clutch.
The longer you hold the clutch in the hotter it gets and it will fail on you and leave you on the side of the road

·
Registered
12,151 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, looks like we will be in the area for 4 days. 3 days of riding around exploring the countryside and 1 day for gawking at boobs and bikes in Sturgis.
I called the guy at Hawg Heaven and he gave me some great ideas to get around Sturgis using the bus, which I think is a great idea. He also recommended a few of the sights you have pointed out as must see's. If we cannot see them all, there is always next year. He mentioned a couple cheap places to get a cold beer too. Sounds like beer will be expensive with long lineups at the Buffalo Chip. It don't matter, we are still going to go there.
Definitely want to check out Black Hills(Mt Rushmore), Crazy Horse, Dead Wood and the Saloon's. The I have to see a burn out in the Broken Spoke...its just something I have to see for myself LOL

To any of you that are heading out, be safe and keep the rubberside down!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Is there any place in Sturgis to get good tofu?

·
12,972 Posts
go downtown sturgis at night. It will be cooler and all the shops will be open. Buss will be great for getting around. During the day get out and ride. Most churches or senior will have breakfast at a great price and less people.
Rest stop and gas station and other places has this free map.
Do spearfish canyon. Go to bellfuch and take road west to devils tower go right up to it don't just ride by it. Now go over the mountain pass down to sundance.
Drink lots of water

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
go downtown sturgis at night. It will be cooler and all the shops will be open. Buss will be great for getting around. During the day get out and ride. Most churches or senior will have breakfast at a great price and less people.
Rest stop and gas station and other places has this free map.
Do spearfish canyon. Go to bellfuch and take road west to devils tower go right up to it don't just ride by it. Now go over the mountain pass down to sundance.
Drink lots of water
Sounds like some good advice VJ. Probably take one day to go through the Northern attractions and one day to do the Southern IF the traffic isn't toooooo crazy. Getting an early start on the rides will probably help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts