Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hasn't happened to me, but I've read it happening to a few. Usually it's a bad, loose battery cable. Give it a look

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
How much fuel in tank? Some have pick up tubes sucking in air during turns or braking.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
It's happened to me a few times - checked and tightened terminals, still did it afterwards. Had half a tank of fuel - just like hitting the kill switch.

·
13,177 Posts
Go to hardware store and buy two of these star washers one for each terminal. 1/4" size. There in the little bins.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
This has happen to me. Ended up being the 40 amp thermal breaker going bad. Check that also does it restart shortly after it dies???? And does it die often or just after awhile of riding?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Sure would like to see what Kevinx has to say about this..... :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved

Thanks for the help. I took the bike in for its 500 mi. service and they found 2 events in the computer that indicated a fuel starvation problem. The first suggestion in their manual: check the battery cables. One was loose. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem NOT solved

All worked fine for a couple of hundred miles after having the battery cable tightened, then 3 more failures. Checked the battery myself and it had good, tight connections, with no corrosion. Going back to dealer. Unfortunately, this is not something I can reproduce. Also, plenty of gas in the tank. This can happen with cold engine or warmed up engine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do you lose you lights when it happens? If not, then it is not likely a battery issue. Maybe take a look at the coils and ignition switch. look for loose connections or cracks in the coil bodies.

·
Registered
442 Posts
did you test fuel pressure? electrical connection to the fuel pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sudden Engine Shutdown

This has happen to me. Ended up being the 40 amp thermal breaker going bad. Check that also does it restart shortly after it dies???? And does it die often or just after awhile of riding?
This can happen to a cold or warmed up engine, always when I am downshifting (decelerating, too). I grab the clutch and hit the starter and it starts right back up every time (so far). I think that something gets 'tripped' to shut off the fuel pump. Letting out the clutch will not start it as there is no fuel coming to the engine. It is necessary to hit the starter to restart the pump. I don't lose any electrical accessories during these events (radio and lights stay on). It is under warranty, so the dealer will need to get it figured out. Thanks for everyone's help! Great looking and riding bike! I just have a little issue with it's reliabity right now...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my bike. But it did get better when I put a new battry in it. Now it only does it once in a while. Used to do it 3 or 4 times a ride. Dealer has yet to figure it out either. I am out of warrinty and hate paying for guess work.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Have you checked all of your connections to include battery terminals and any other connections to the charging system? What condition causes the shutdown? Normally riding? Leaning way over? If it happens whn you're leaning the bike hard (the worse time for shutdown) it could be fuel starvation or it could be the tilt sensor shutting it down.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are you "blipping" (quick/short rev) the throttle? Mine dies also if I rev it up as I down shift and slow down.

These bikes don't have the best EFI system. The short blip of the gas makes it confused and it just shuts down. For me it's been a hard habit to break and I've about dumped it a couple times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This bike will die under full throttle, at a light in idle when I am giving the gas to pull away. You name it had has shut down on me. Ye even in a high speed leaning turn, DIE!!! I have taken it in 3 times and they can't find anything. I did read on somone elses post it ended up being the ECM, so I might take it again and pay for that to be changed. could be the fuel pump shutting off also. Who knows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sudden Engine Shutdown - Solved

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. I finally found another thread with the title "engine stall" which suggested that the problem is "blipping" the throttle on a downshift. As one of you has already posted, when you suddenly open the throttle with no load on the bike, it may be making the mixture too lean, and the bike stalls. When I am thinking about it, I always bring the throttle up gradually when I downshift. Apparently, I must be blipping it sometimes, so that is why this stallout is happening so rarely. There was no problem found with the battery or the wiring, and since this would happen under generally smooth driving conditions (smooth highways and no sudden speed changes) I doubted that it could be a loose connection. Really love the bike....still!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my first post on this forum and this problem is why I joined. My 2012 Cross Roads has just under 5,000 miles and is 9 weeks old. This past long weekend it kept shutting down. First time it did it, it was just starting it up after a coffee stop..it started, and shut down - motor, gauges, everything. Tightened battery terminals, she started again.

Next day another long ride. Around noon stopped for gas. Started up again and had gone less than a mile, was in 5th gear and she just shuts down for 5 seconds and started back up again. Pulled over, battery terminals tight. Let it sit for 10 min...ran fine.

Next day, rode most of the day no issue - late afternoon stopped for gas, got going and while merging into traffic - died again, always engine, controls, everything. Let it sit for 15 min, got rolling again.

Dealer picked it up yesterday and they told me today that after multiple tests and contacting Polaris, they changed the 40 amp main breaker near the battery.

I get it back tomorrow, guess we will see if it's fixed. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
It happened to me in my Kingpin and on my XR 2x. On the XR, it happened once making a right turn and once in a straight line and shifting up. Tank was full both times. Dealer couldn't find the source.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts