Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 is still running on the original battery.

The last 2 times I've started it, I turn the key on, flip the kill switch and got nothing at all, no fuel pump whine, nothing.

Turned the key off, heard an odd clicking noise that slowed and then stopped. Waited a few seconds, turned it on, flipped the kill switch and the fuel pump primes and off I go.

Am I right to be looking at the battery for this? I'm thinking that 5+ years is stretching it on battery life.

Any particular battery better than others? AGM? Bikemasters TruGel? Local farm and barn cycle battery? Polaris battery?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
amazon pushing tax

seen where amazon WANTS internet tax!!! i have been charged tax from them already, i know how it works, but feel they are cheating, i look elsewhere now!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A five year old battery is long in the tooth and surely will fail sooner than later. It sounds though like your issue is not the battery. More likely it's at the terminals.
I would have the battery tested. Take it out and take it to just about any auto parts. They will bench test it for nothing. If it is even close to out of spec, replace it. Hell, at that age I would probably just replace it anyways.
Taking it out and cleaning up the terminals (or replacing the cables if they are showing some age) will do more toward curing no sign of spark followed by plenty of spark than battery woes. A weak battery connected properly will be sluggish or too weak to fire the bike but the pump takes little juice so it will pump and the lights will light and so forth, at least til you hit the start button.
It's common practice on this board to recommend lockwashers on the terminals to ward off loosening. At the cost of a couple of lockwashers there's nothing to argue against it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll pull the battery tomorrow and see what it rates out at. And plan to replace at the end of the riding season. Thank you to everyone for the ideas/suggestions.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
My 08 is still running on the original battery.

The last 2 times I've started it, I turn the key on, flip the kill switch and got nothing at all, no fuel pump whine, nothing.

Turned the key off, heard an odd clicking noise that slowed and then stopped. Waited a few seconds, turned it on, flipped the kill switch and the fuel pump primes and off I go.

Am I right to be looking at the battery for this? I'm thinking that 5+ years is stretching it on battery life.

Any particular battery better than others? AGM? Bikemasters TruGel? Local farm and barn cycle battery? Polaris battery?
I have a 2008 with the original battery too. It did the same thing as yours. It was the battery connections. They were corroded. Cleaned em up and the battery worked great. Also get a battery tender if you dont already have one. They help keep the battery from dying.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the confirmation. I've had it on a tender during the non daily riding season since I bought it in 2011. I'll definitely pull it, get it tested, clean the terminals, check the cables and then use a lock or star washer on the terminals. And at the end of the season, I'll replace it just to be safe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I took the battery out, man is that a tight fit! I noticed as I took off the terminals that they were not very snug, not loose but not tight either.

Had it tested and it tested just fine.

Put it back in, added lock washers and snugged everything up. Added a bit of Dielectric grease on the terminals afterwards just for insurance. Everything looks good, no corrosion at all.

How can you tell the age of a cycle battery? No markings at all on this like a car battery does. Here are 2 pics of it:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would think if it's the oem battery it has be pretty close to the born date of your motorcycle, at least with in 6 months of the date anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could be a replacement I guess, I was assuming oem, but who knows for sure. I can't believe there are no date markings on the battery.
Do the dealers have a maintenance network, do they keep track of things like this if they did it? Both previous owners serviced the bike at the same dealer near here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts