Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I filled up my V92C with premium at a station that was out of regular and silver. Rode the bike to work but failed to shut off the ignition thus draining the battery. Jumped the battery at noon, but bike hesitated and backfired so I rode it home put it on the battery charger until this morning.

Battery indicated full charge this morning so I started the bike, but still hesitated and would not idle. I'm thinking that the gas I bought was bad and will siphon out the old tonight after work, and fill with fresh along with fuel injector cleaners. Anybody have any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Perhaps there is debris in the tank and it is clogging your fuel filter?

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Was this a gas station that does a brisk business, or pumps very little? If the latter, you could have bought low volatility gas. Were they taking on fuel from a truck? You NEVER want to fill up at a station that's taking on fuel. Yes, its possible there's water, its also more possible there's battery problems. Have you checked that the terminals are tight? If its an older battery, draining it and recharging could have eaten away at plate connectors.
Guess you're more careful about turning off the ignition now. Ma Nature is a tough teacher; she gives you the test first, then the lesson.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If you drain a battery sometimes it will kill a cell thus not let it charge back to full. So your system is trying to do 2 things at once. I would have the battery checked for free at a good parts store just in case. thumb up

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
When I bought my Kingpin it sat all winter at the dealership and drained the battery dead. Somehow that screwed up the tps setting and it ran like crap. It took three trips back to the dealer before they figured it out and fixed it. But, I would check the throttle bodies first, that will make it run rich and run bad as stated above. I doubt it's the gas, but I have had that happen on bikes before too.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Guess you're more careful about turning off the ignition now. Ma Nature is a tough teacher; she gives you the test first, then the lesson.
Now, you'd THINK that's how that'd work, right? I went ahead and did it a a couple more times just to make sure I'm really that stupid.

Conclusion: I am really that stupid.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Now, you'd THINK that's how that'd work, right? I went ahead and did it a a couple more times just to make sure I'm really that stupid.

Conclusion: I am really that stupid.
Ma Nature is going to have you stay after school.
My routine--kill switch, release clutch (its in first gear), reach down & turn off key. Do that a few times and your synapses will get wired.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I left my ignition just once. A buddy of mine noticed and hid my bike. He let me think I was stollen up until I pulled my phone out to call the police. Hell, I would have done the same thing to him so I couldn't get mad. Needless to say but I haven't done that again.

2012 Vegas 8 ball
Memphis TN

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's kind of like how my ex-wife would never use the key to lock her car door and wound up locking herself out more times than I could count. If you use the key to turn off the engine instead of the emergency switch that is intended to be easily reached in the event of a crash then the problem is solved.

I'm also not understanding why anyone would routinely leave their bike in gear when they shut it off. I could understand if you were in San Francisco and were parking on hills every day but not as a routine practice.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Those who park in neutral will eventually learn why others park in first gear.
Foto Joe, one needs to turn off the engine with the kill switch if holding in the clutch with the left hand, which is what I do. Then I reach down and remove the key. Easy peasy.
BTW, do you park you car in neutral?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
RICZ, we don't all live on "the hill" in Portland. Here in flatland I almost always park in neutral with no issues but yesterday I parked on a sharply sloping driveway and dropped it into first for that one time. The bike was so heavy that I thought I would need to get off just to stand it back up when I was ready to leave, kickstand was somewhat on the downhill side.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
RICZ, we don't all live on "the hill" in Portland. Here in flatland I almost always park in neutral with no issues but yesterday I parked on a sharply sloping driveway and dropped it into first for that one time. The bike was so heavy that I thought I would need to get off just to stand it back up when I was ready to leave, kickstand was somewhat on the downhill side.
What about when you're parking at a curb? How do you compensate for the camber of the road?
My procedure is to park with the front uphill, roll back until it stops against the gears and then deploy the stand. Only then do I know the bike ain't gonna move.

·
Registered
415 Posts
RICZ said:
I'm not saying that I NEVER leave it in gear but it's rare. When I do I leave the kill switch in the "Off" position so I don't try to start it in gear. It's probably due to the fact that I learned to ride on bikes that didn't have those new fangled electric starters on 'em and it's my 40 year habit of leaving the bike in neutral.

Regarding your question: This is going to sound arrogant and I apologize up front. Over the course of my 55 years I've owned exactly "1" car, a 1962 Kellison T-Bucket VW conversion and yes that one always got left in gear so I could find it when I came back to it. I bought that car when I was 39 (the same year I got a drivers license to operate a car). Since the Kellison the only thing that I've driven other than bikes has been trucks (even my personal pickup is a Freightliner) and woe be to the person who leaves a truck in gear and snaps off the starter armature when they forget and try to start it in gear.

I guess i just found the statement about leaving the bike in gear to be unusual, apparently it's not. It's just that I don't know anybody personally that routinely leaves their bike in gear when they shut down. Granted, most of the people I know ride Harleys which have locking kick stands. There's nothing wrong with leaving a bike in gear, it's just not how I learned and to date I have never had one leave without me on it.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Those who park in neutral will eventually learn why others park in first gear.
Foto Joe, one needs to turn off the engine with the kill switch if holding in the clutch with the left hand, which is what I do. Then I reach down and remove the key. Easy peasy.
I park my bike and car in neutral yeah (stick shift)..my automatic cars I park in Park.
I use the handbrake or parking brake in a car.

been parking my bike in neutral since I WAS 16...Thats over 40 years never had it roll away yet....if its on a severe hill maybe but Im always parked back wheel into gutter anyway and always pointed in the direction of leaving.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
One time back when I used to smoke I stopped in a local gas station to grab a pack. I pulled up next to the front door and hurriedly ran in to make my purchase. When I came out my truck was gone. First thought was somebody grabbed it. This was in Chicago so. Then I looked across the street and there it was neatly wedged between two parked cars. Stick shift of course and I forgot to leave it in gear much less use the emergency brake. Scraped the one cars bumper and wound up costing me $350 which was less than my deductible. Costly lesson.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts