Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh how I love how it improves as the days grow warmer.

Today I registered 214 miles and topped off the tank with 4.5 gallons just after the fuel light came on. Avg'd 47.5 mpg. Not too hateful.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have been keeping a spreadsheet going where I put in my gallons/miles/price/station/weather since I got the bike back in September. I started out around 42 mpgs in the early fall and dropped to the upper 30's in the winter. Now that it has warmed up I have turned in a couple of 48 mpg tanks but also a 37 mpg tank where I rode the interstate at 85 into a major headwind for 2 hours. Right now after 9 months and over 3,000 miles I have an overall average of 42.82 mpgs and I think that is just going to improve as the weather gets warmer and the engine continues to settle in.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Oh how I love how it improves as the days grow warmer.

Today I registered 214 miles and topped off the tank with 4.5 gallons just after the fuel light came on. Avg'd 47.5 mpg. Not too hateful.
Good for you. I can't get above 43. Mine is a stock CCT with the O2 sensors unplugged (and usually have the trunk off). Got worse mileage when they were plugged in (I know....it's not suppose too work that way). I have had my bike for 3 1/2 months and have just over 5K miles. It has come up a bit. Was averaging around 38-39 mpg. I do then to twist my right wrist a bit though. I am constantly getting less MPG than my HD riding biddies.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Have you thought about plugging back in the 02's and run a few tanks out to see where you mpg's are? As others have brought up it is also very hard to fill these bikes up to the same point at every fill up, just a few tenths of a gallon from one fill up to the next can make a few mpg's difference. That is why I am tracking my gas mileage so it will average out in the long run.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought about plugging back in the 02's and run a few tanks out to see where you mpg's are? As others have brought up it is also very hard to fill these bikes up to the same point at every fill up, just a few tenths of a gallon from one fill up to the next can make a few mpg's difference.
+1. Not to mention, if he bought the bike new it will take some time before it breaks in to the point of maximizing mileage. And as the post subject suggests, all my bikes mileage seem to improve in the warmth of summer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What are these things, the 55 and the 47 mph?
I do not think I have that.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
2012 Vegas I am getting 50.1 at 55mph and 52 at 47mph
It's a Van Halen song! I can't drive ....55! I do pass it... when speeding up and slowing down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I find this kinda interesting. I wonder why though. More highway miles? More relaxed riding (not as hard on the throttle)?
In my mind, internal combustion engines have better performance with cooler, denser air. What ya guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
If i can consistantly run 91 non-oxy gas in mine i have been averaging 46-48mpg, the avg readout on the dash is constantly off by about 4mpg and has been reading around 51. I ride pretty much 65-70.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
418 Posts
I average between 42-46 mpg with both of us on, XCT all stock but stage 1 pipes. That is a real mix of backroads and interstate at all speeds. My worst average was over the winter when I was at 34 for a fill up. It was cold, I had a lot of short on/off trips with only a couple miles and the 1 longer ride I sat in traffic for an hour. My mileage is better 2 up over single because of my right wrist, I think it gains weight when I am alone.

My best tank so far was 195 before the light came on and that was a true mix of backroads, back country highways and interstate. I assume I have about 50-60 miles left when the light comes on from fill up amounts and mileage so that puts me right in line with a lot of the HD's I ride with. Much better then a few as well, all touring bikes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I find this kinda interesting. I wonder why though. More highway miles? More relaxed riding (not as hard on the throttle)?
In my mind, internal combustion engines have better performance with cooler, denser air. What ya guys think?
They use a different blend of fuel in the summer that get better FE.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've been averaging right around 40 MPG after getting my PC5, Lloydz filter and Magnaflow exhaust. This is mainly around town riding with some highway miles. My first long highway trip of over 1000 miles will be coming up July 4th weekend so it will be interesting to see if my MPG goes up or down.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Theoretically, heat causes gases to expand, therefore, less O2 per measure reaching the engine for combustion. Cool air should make more power. However, less dense (warmer) air causes less drag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
fuel milage

well early this spring I asked about poor milage on my cc mid 30's and started with about 3000 miles on it this spring temp's ran upper 40's to low 50's , now the temps are up in the 70's and 80's and just returned from a 2500 mile trip with 4 of my Harley friends, we all returned from the trip about equal on fuel useage, and after doing the math I got 45.8 mpg had way more power than they did, and I ran a lot cooler when it got hot, they were running an 08, 09 ultra classic's and a 2013 roadking anniversary sp. and a older classic. all in all I felt real good when we got home.cheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
well early this spring I asked about poor milage on my cc mid 30's and started with about 3000 miles on it this spring temp's ran upper 40's to low 50's , now the temps are up in the 70's and 80's and just returned from a 2500 mile trip with 4 of my Harley friends, we all returned from the trip about equal on fuel useage, and after doing the math I got 45.8 mpg had way more power than they did, and I ran a lot cooler when it got hot, they were running an 08, 09 ultra classic's and a 2013 roadking anniversary sp. and a older classic. all in all I felt real good when we got home.cheers
I was recently disappointed when riding with one of my Harley brothers. We did 1121 miles in 19.5 hrs. He was on a Street Glide and got better mileage every leg. I have a CCT with the trunk off. He usually bested me by about 4/10 gallon every fill up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts