Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read somewhere on here that somewhere there is available paint in larger containers than touch up bottles. I am looking for sunset red. I dented my front fender and I was thinking of taking it to a body shop and pounded out then painted

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I just bought paint from the only source for Midnight Cherry, so surely they'd have your Sunset Red.
touchupdirect.com
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then try this....
colorrite.com
Yup they had it Ric... I just wonder how much it would cost to have a body shop fix them fender with paint and all vs just buying a new fender already painted.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got 2 spray bombs direct from Victory ... Sunset Red.

A little pricey coz you have to buy them in quantities of 2.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Yup they had it Ric... I just wonder how much it would cost to have a body shop fix them fender with paint and all vs just buying a new fender already painted.
That should be easy to find out. If the fender is off the bike, take it to a body shop large enough to have its own paint blending machine and get a quote. Tell them to be kind cuz its coming out of your pocket.
The new fender? Call your dealer's parts department. Let us know what you learn.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the cost of the fender is a over $800 ! Ouch.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The sunset red is a two or three stage paint. I had some rocks get thrown up by a rig on the interstate a few years back and it took out a few small chunks on my left bag. It was black underneath the paint. I got the touch up bottles from Polaris and it now looks worse touched up than it before.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea it is hard to get a nick right. I am thinking that a body shop will charge me as much to fix and paint the fender as it would to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I've seen a number of "matches" to victory paint and they come close but that's about it. Sunset red is not an easy match. It's not just in the color but the way you paint it. Has to be done correctly to get that flake to lay right and match. I sent a side panel to have my trike body paint matched. Color is good but flake is not even close. Luckily for me, or unlucky, depends on your viewpoint, trike was damaged in shipping. I'll be re-painting it with the insurance check.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The paint is a 2-part ... base (color) coat followed by clear coat.

I did my chrome headlight bezel with the spray bomb from Victory and you'd be hard pressed to see any difference between it and the rest of the fairing.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
My Midnight Cherry kit contains 6 cans. A pint each of primer, base, color, clear coat and 2 small cans of clear coat catalyst. Gotta use 'em all to get it right. Fortunately, I have a friend who is a very experienced professional painter.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
The paint is a 2-part ... base (color) coat followed by clear coat.

I did my chrome headlight bezel with the spray bomb from Victory and you'd be hard pressed to see any difference between it and the rest of the fairing.
It should be a 2 part urethane base followed by clear but what they may do with spray cans is make it a one part base. Then one could use a spray can clear over it or let a painter lay in 2-3 coats of clear.

Fenders are easy to fix dents compared to tanks because we can get at the inside of the dent easily on fenders. Strip the paint down to metal. Straighten out the dent as much as possible making sure no more than 1/4" of body filler will be needed at any point in the fixed dent. Fill, sand, feather the area back to good paint, scuff the rest of the fender, primer the fixed area, if a self etching primer was used then put another layer of sandable primer down, then sand with 320 then 400 grit sandpaper, spray paint it after cleaning really well in a clean environment, let dry according to what the can says, then apply the clear coats or take it to a local painter. I wouldn't think it wouldn't cost more than $100 for this which may be why a spray can clear would be preferable.

The link below is who I go through for most of my paint these days. It used to be House of Kolor was king of the hill but there are other options and better prices available these days. Although I haven't tried their brand of spray can clear because I do most my spraying through a gun; I'd buy it for a friend if he wanted to do it himself.

Clears - Automotive Finishes - Paints & Coatings

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The link below is who I go through for most of my paint these days. It used to be House of Kolor was king of the hill but there are other options and better prices available these days. Although I haven't tried their brand of spray can clear because I do most my spraying through a gun; I'd buy it for a friend if he wanted to do it himself.

Clears - Automotive Finishes - Paints & Coatings
Those are decent prices.

I've used the spray can clear from U-pol before and it works quite well.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Amazon.com has Sunset Red in touch up pens, spray cans and quarts. Search "touchupdirect" in the automotive section, then filter with Victory Cross Country.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a big wheel? Or is the regular fender? Rusty Jones Customs takeoff OEM fenders $50.00
Take off front fender ? Rusty Jones Customs

Better yet drop ship it to Midwest Customs......maker of the fork mounted lowers sold by Witchdoctor get him to paint your color.
https://www.facebook.com/MidwestCustomCreations
Not sure what a take off fender is... I assume they are fenders they removed from other bikes? The problem is they can't guaranteed they are not damaged... I sent them an email

1 - 20 of 23 Posts