Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's opinion on the quality of the clearcoat on their bikes? I have more scratches on mine then I can count, all after 1,800 miles on the bike. I simply cannot figure out how they are even getting there. I have quite a few on top of the tank, which is mostly protected by the fairing. I am super careful when washing it, so I am pretty sure that is not the cause. What's a rider to do? I am looking at selling it next spring and getting a Polaris RZR when we move to Las Vegas.

It seems like manufacturers are putting cheaper clearcoats on all vehicles these days. My Infiniti Q50 already has a few after 1,500 miles. It's all black too, which I know makes the situation worse.

·
13,236 Posts
what kind of rag or sponge are you using to wash the bike.
Any rag or sponge just sitting around can have dust on it from just sitting in open air. Same for what towel are you drying it with.
Tee shirts are bad baby diapers are bad bath towels are bad.
I use a microfiber towel and alway keep them bagged when not using them. Dirt and dust in the air will settle in them if you don't keep them bagged up

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
All modern clearcoats are not a durable as they once were due to EPA regulations.
I pamper my paint, but still have to break out the Porter Cable buffer a couple time a year to get the paint back to perfect. During peak riding season (now) I just ride it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
As was said above you can thank EPA regulations governing the use of volatile organic chemicals(VOC's) on the degradation of paint and clear coat quality.

We have a few painters as clients and they hate the regs because the way they want to mix things is in violation of air permit requirements.

Also as was said use a good sealed microfiber but even that doesn't seem to be helping my bike as I'm seeing tiny scratches as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you wax? Use a good quality product like Mother's then rinse it with cold water to make it last a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
First thing to apply is a rubbing compound, it has particles in it to fill in the small scratches, spiderwebs and swirls. the sponge that comes with the compound is the best thing to use.
Then go to a polish, it has smaller particles that will give it a deep lustre look. do not use the same sponge as the rubbing compound, always keep them separate, I write on the grip of each sponge (C,P,W) so I don't mix them up.
Then finally a wax to protect it from UV rays, rain, and it makes the bugs easier to get off.
People really notice a freshly polished bike.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts