Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine that has a BMW RS 1200 loved the look of my X road and was considering buying one - he took a X country out for a test ride and liked the way it handled but said "I expected the 106 to be more satisfying power wise". Personally I was always happy with the 106 - is the 1200 RS really a more "satisfying" motor? I told him that you can add ponies by pulling the strip, new filter, pipes and PC5. But he has pretty much moved on. I believe that was his true impression - good guy and money is not an issue...he's loaded. An example of not buying after a test ride....

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 1200 RS would eat up any Victory on the twisties or straights. Very different bike however.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
A buddy of mine that has a BMW RS 1200 loved the look of my X road and was considering buying one - he took a X country out for a test ride and liked the way it handled but said "I expected the 106 to be more satisfying power wise". Personally I was always happy with the 106 - is the 1200 RS really a more "satisfying" motor? I told him that you can add ponies by pulling the strip, new filter, pipes and PC5. But he has pretty much moved on. I believe that was his true impression - good guy and money is not an issue...he's loaded. An example of not buying after a test ride....
Well, they're completely different bikes: a sport-tourer -- with the emphasis on "sport" -- vs. a cruiser-tourer, so I'm surprised, too. I mean, before I do a test ride, I'm focused on what sort of bike and experience I'm looking for.

That said, those 1200cc Beemers make about equivalent HP and torque as our bikes, and weigh hundreds of pounds less. The current R1200R, for instance, is listed as having 110 HP and 88 FT-LB (although that's probably at the crank, not at the rear wheel)... while weighing in at 509 LB, wet, i.e., ready to ride. The R1200R is what I'd call a "standard," while the R1200S is sportier; that S is not a current model, so its numbers may be slightly lower, but it also may be slightly lighter, too.

In my younger days, I had an R850R (from 1997-2000). Now, my riding buddy has a 2012 R1200RT. We swap bikes occasionally on rides, and that thing can blow my XCT into the weeds. But, the seat is way high, your knees are bent back, it doesn't have the storage, etc. -- that is, as I say, a completely different animal. Nice bike, but certainly not my cup of tea (or anything else).

So, IMHO: A) he has a point, sort of; B) I gotta wonder why he was doing a demo of that kind of bike in the first place. If what he wants is a satisfying motor, I'd suggest he start demo-ing Hayabusas and suchlike.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies - I guess that I never considered those bikes as very fast - never rode one - he has the large aluminum bags that attach to the sides for trips - so there's the storage and he is 6'4" so the height is not an issue - so maybe he is where he needs to be - but my X road is way better :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought one of the first R100RS beemers in 1977 and I rode a modern version on a test ride a number of years ago. Both in '77 and in modern times those things are impressive as hell and I wouldn't play with one up in the mountains on a Victory unless all I wanted to do was watch a disappearing German tail light.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer news performance index lists a Cross Country quarter mile performance as 13.12 ET and 100.36 MPH. A 2011 R1200 GS turned an ET of 11.45 and 117.04 MPH. The GS has seen major changes, I'm thinking a newer model may be even faster.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Granted I've got less than 100 miles on my XR now but that doesn't surprise me at all. While I don't know your buddy my guess is that satisfying isn't meant to imply that the 106 isn't fast enough for the type of bike but rather just not as punchy as his bmw. What I've noticed about mine so far is that the sensation of speed is hugely muted on this bike versus most anything else I've ridden (primarily standard and supersport) which is likely the result of the weight of the bike. Yes it pulls but not nearly as hard as my honda 919 which (like the bmw) has similar power numbers but weighs half as much. The other thing that he may not have been expecting is the short shifts. Big twins with a 5000ish redline are a very different experience than any other bike that spins to 10-17k before tapping the rev limiter. It's definitely been an adjustment for me shifting so frequently. Hell I'm used to never getting out of 3rd gear around town. 4th if I'm lugging it badly. Seeing 5th or even 6th gear on some of the bigger surface roads is a strange thing if your not used to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts