Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went on a long overnight ride with some buddy's, I'll spare you the debauchery. Anyway my back is killing me and one of the guys noticed I seem to "bounce around" more then the others. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better seat and any suspension adjustments?
I'm 235lb so I didn't want to just start loosing up what was there without knowing more about it. 2012 hammer 8-ball if it matters on the seat.

·
12,984 Posts
if your bouncing around a lot I would say you need to stiffen the shock. Your a big guy and there is no seat thats going to help

·
Registered
566 Posts
Talk to a custom seat guy. You need a seat that will suspend and support your frame. The victory touring seat is pretty good too, a lot of people like them, but a custom seat is a bit cheaper or the same and its tailored to your frame so it should be better. I am planning to send my seat to LAAM. Seem like good people to deal with.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The stock Hammer 8-ball rear shock is bad ..... The stock Hammer 8-ball seat is poor ...at best.

That said.....there is hope...i
As stated ...the touring seat is a marked improvement..for both the driver and the passenger. If you want to keep the rear cowl look (as I do ) ....then you need to have the seat reworked....and there are options.... Just need to decide what you want .

As far as the rear shock issue....the 2 popular upgrades are -
- progressive shock , and
- penske shock .

Both are big improvements and will make the ride much better.
The progressive retails for about 5 bills , and the Penske about 7.5.

While your at it ...consider upgrading the rubber after stock dunnys wear out ....

Peter

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
seats not bad for one!

thought my 13 hammer needed a seat but it needed a built for me Penske shock! 2500 miles later still have the good lookin stock seat setup. the pirelli night dragon 240 tire helped a bit too, especially with handling. the dunlop's ride hard but last long with marginal performance IMO!! what our hammer's need is a reasonable 200-55-17 tire, about same diameter as our stocker, low sidewalls aid handling but ride hard!!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the flamed bandit seat with 4" of overall peg extension ... I'm 6'2 - 220 . I have done 500 Mi. in a day . I realize the bike rides hard but it wasn't until I added the Judge bars off 2013 model that really made my bike more comfy , you will sit up straighter with these bars and it did wonders for me . I do also have the Touring seat and it is super comfy for when the wife tags along . I do work out a lot and am in good shape , that may be a reason I don't hurt as much also ....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fitness helps!!!!

good point mags as most americans are in poor physical condition + obesity is rampant!! riding a naked xxx bike a distance prolly requires better fitness

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have the flamed bandit seat with 4" of overall peg extension ... I'm 6'2 - 220 . I have done 500 Mi. in a day . I realize the bike rides hard but it wasn't until I added the Judge bars off 2013 model that really made my bike more comfy , you will sit up straighter with these bars and it did wonders for me . I do also have the Touring seat and it is super comfy for when the wife tags along . I do work out a lot and am in good shape , that may be a reason I don't hurt as much also ....
Not to be a ney-sayer about fitness...as i do believe in it...but how old are you as well ?

I've exercised / worked out all my life...but now @ 64 things are starting to ...well....change. Actually ...the main reason for coming to Victory. I just can't sit on my BMW for long periods of time anymore. And the tall saddle [33"] made getting on & off...a bitch some days

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hey RGP , I'm 46 , soon to be 47 :D I meant no disrespect to anyone based on their fitness level , or age . I looked to see what your riding but you didn't have it listed . The Hammer is a rough ride , because of that , and other reasons if I were older , and maybe not as fit , I would most likely be on a cross bike .thumb up After changing a bunch of stuff to make it more tolerable/enjoyable to ride , for extended distances anyway , being fit / in good shape may help in the long run . We all get aches and pains , But , You say you are fit for your age and exercise , and it still hurts sometimes ... I say be thankful you take care of yourself , or you may not be riding at all:ride: ... Being fit at any age makes everything you do easier !

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey RGP , I'm 46 , soon to be 47 :D I meant no disrespect to anyone based on their fitness level , or age . I looked to see what your riding but you didn't have it listed . The Hammer is a rough ride , because of that , and other reasons if I were older , and maybe not as fit , I would most likely be on a cross bike .thumb up After changing a bunch of stuff to make it more tolerable/enjoyable to ride , for extended distances anyway , being fit / in good shape may help in the long run . We all get aches and pains , But , You say you are fit for your age and exercise , and it still hurts sometimes ... I say be thankful you take care of yourself , or you may not be riding at all:ride: ... Being fit at any age makes everything you do easier !

No offence taken...I was just pointing out that aging does change things IMO no matter what ya do. And I have noticed that as I age the ole body does not respond to exercise in the same manner it once did :(

Riding an XR BTW,

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
No offence taken...I was just pointing out that aging does change things IMO no matter what ya do. And I have noticed that as I age the ole body does not respond to exercise in the same manner it once did :(

Riding an XR BTW,
Gotcha , but getting old is much better then the alternative , Like Josey Wales once said , "Dyin aint much of a livin" . cheers Keep the rubber side down Brother .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not to be a ney-sayer about fitness...as i do believe in it...but how old are you as well ?

I've exercised / worked out all my life...but now @ 64 things are starting to ...well....change. Actually ...the main reason for coming to Victory. I just can't sit on my BMW for long periods of time anymore. And the tall saddle [33"] made getting on & off...a bitch some days
Could not agree more with RGP on all aspects being 60, formerly in very good shape and a previous BMW K bike owner. I love my Hammer, it's looks and performance and have struggled with what to do with the discomfort that about an hour and a half of riding poses for me. I have a touring seat and while it is nominally more comfortable, it shoves me forward and into the gas tank not to mention it looks like a blob of black on top of an otherwise very pretty bike. So perhaps the answer is that old guys belong on baggers or recliners but I hope not.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Could not agree more with RGP on all aspects being 60, formerly in very good shape and a previous BMW K bike owner. I love my Hammer, it's looks and performance and have struggled with what to do with the discomfort that about an hour and a half of riding poses for me. I have a touring seat and while it is nominally more comfortable, it shoves me forward and into the gas tank not to mention it looks like a blob of black on top of an otherwise very pretty bike. So perhaps the answer is that old guys belong on baggers or recliners but I hope not.
I have resigned myself to the [bagger] but not the recliner for awhile yet. Yes I really,really liked my BMW...owned a few..and I considered a Hammer , but decided on the XR instead. Lucked into a low mile 2012. The XR is such that I really don't miss the Beemer all [that] much. And at least I'm still riding...no not 500 + p/day..but what the hell I'm retired...so I take the extra day or two for a trip....life is good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have resigned myself to the [bagger] but not the recliner for awhile yet. Yes I really,really liked my BMW...owned a few..and I considered a Hammer , but decided on the XR instead. Lucked into a low mile 2012. The XR is such that I really don't miss the Beemer all [that] much. And at least I'm still riding...no not 500 + p/day..but what the hell I'm retired...so I take the extra day or two for a trip....life is good.
Same here with regard to the Beemer. it was hell trying to just cruise around in town, but let me tell you, it owned the highway and I know that every time I am doing 70 + on my windshieldless fairingless Hammer. But I just can't bring myself to make an abomination of my Hammer by adding those components...maybe I should throw a leg over an XR...thanks RGP for your comments. Welcomed and understood all to well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Better seat and keep the stock cowl???

Will the solo seat from a Vegas fit our Hammers? There are more aftermarket seats available for it and some have backrests which I think would help me. It looks like we have the bolt holes in our frames to bolt on the seat. It looks like I could remove the mounting brackets from my stock Hammer seat and just use them to hold the cowl on. Better seat and keep the stock cowl???

·
Registered
483 Posts
Same here with regard to the Beemer. it was hell trying to just cruise around in town, but let me tell you, it owned the highway and I know that every time I am doing 70 + on my windshieldless fairingless Hammer. But I just can't bring myself to make an abomination of my Hammer by adding those components...maybe I should throw a leg over an XR...thanks RGP for your comments. Welcomed and understood all to well.

If I may suggest ? Have you ever seen a Shoei FM-5 fairing? Google it, I think one would look really good on a Hammer...BTW there is one for bid on ebay. There are a [few] others that IMO would look nice...not hurting the lines of the Hammer at all.

I have another model [FM-3] I intend to fit too my XR this winter...maybe sooner.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
age + riding fitness

if the age question was for me 66 is the answer, 5-8 + 175 lb. no disrespect to anyone as i weighed the same as now at 10 yrs old!!! lost lbs while in the navy, food not as tasty as grammy's. afterwards a lifetime of construction work kept me pretty fit. i stay active after retiring, lots of walking the dog + a little upper body weight work. i am blessed with good health at present, + don't eat much + take several nutritional supplements, but enjoy the hops especially in the summer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The stock Hammer seat is just a torture device for me. Very uncomfortable after 30 mins of riding. You can have it reshaped to fit you and have a gel pad installed and it will ride much better. I find the Bandit seat to be very comfortable for me , even on long rides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 27 and 200 pounds. And in shape. But after a 4-500 mile ride in a day I'm pretty sore. There built for looks not for cruising per say. But this winter I'm going to try a different shock and maybe try a custom seat. I also love the stock cowl

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts