Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends
I'm getting ready to change over to LED turn signals. I've done some reading here and know what's involved for the change. Including the cross wire issue with the right front signal. Just to clarify. If I go with the load resistor at each signal, which is what I am considering. Then I will need a 25w 6ohm resistor or is there a better resistor spec for our system. Searching for components I have not been able to locate any smaller wattage or ohms. I was able to locate and read a threat that did state that the 25w 6ohm resistor was recommended for this. Haven't found it again so can't link it here. Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Something you may want to look into is using the flasher from a Boardwalk (which has the LED signals) instead of load resistors. I believe it will just plug in, in place of the standard flasher. I was going to look into this when spring gets closer to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Vegas 8 that sounds like the way to go! Do you happen to know the part number for said flasher? Should work for front and rear?

·
12,983 Posts
Vegas 8 that sounds like the way to go! Do you happen to know the part number for said flasher? Should work for front and rear?
P/N 4013199 runs about $64 bucks. Keep in mind yours is a 06 and might not have the same wiring. So if you buy one I can bet the dealer will not take it back if it doesn't work

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Should totally work for my 13 Highball... What do you think guys? If boardwalk is running led's front and rear I should be able to with that flasher module as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
P/N 4013199 runs about $64 bucks. Keep in mind yours is a 06 and might not have the same wiring. So if you buy one I can bet the dealer will not take it back if it doesn't work
Yes, I didn't realize the op had an 06.
There also is a resistor that is in place of a fuse p/n 4013062 (other than that, no other differences in parts from led and standard.... I'm using my 2011 Vegas for comparison with the Boardwalk)
I haven't checked this all out yet, as my bike sits in the shed with about 3 feet of snow in front of it..... but if someone else is willing to experiment...... lol

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I will be ordering said parts tomorrow! Cross your fingers boys... If it could make my new led signals plug and play that would be too sweet!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
CrossRoads I think it was this one. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6772&highlight=25+watt

The one you linked did give good info. You suggested a 8ohm 20 or 25w resistor. So with any higher ohms or wattage would there be any possible issue? Clicker666 got a set that was rated for 50w. Would that cause an issue with the system that was setup to have a 10w standard bulb? I've read numerous threads now and have seen suggestions up to 20-25 ohms with 25w and the lr-10 mbw from victoryonly.com. Still looking at doing the resistor at each light to save cost. Seems pretty straight forward to be able to mount them where they won't cause heat related issues. I do think I'm going to call the closest vic shop(135mi away) and talk to a tech on both this and the idea Vagas 8 suggested.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
So I tried to order the boardwalk parts I need to do the LED conversion... Back ordered says my Vic dealer. Looking for suggestions from where to look next?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Friends

Just got off the phone with a service tech at my closest Vic shop. He recommended a 10-20ohm resistor with no specific wattage requirement. He was not sure if the BW flasher would be a plug and play with the 06 hammer's ACM. So for any one else who will be looking to do this. A Vic service tech recommends a minimum of 10ohms. I'll be looking for those to day and getting them ordered or purchased locally. thumb up:)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Charlie did he say how many ohms the BW module is? Did he give any reason why the Vic parts wouldn't work? I really like the thought of not doing any extra wiring to convert to LED's.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
So I have now ordered both parts needed to do an LED conversion... They will be in March 10th from my local Vic dealer. I am surprised nobody else has done this??? I am also a little nervous as I may have just thrown away a $130 and still need to by individual resistor's. I would appreciate all info as I could still cancel the order if I do it soon...

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charlie did he say how many ohms the BW module is? Did he give any reason why the Vic parts wouldn't work? I really like the thought of not doing any extra wiring to convert to LED's.

All I asked him on that was if the BW flasher module could replace the hammers ACM as a direct plug in. He said he was not sure without comparing the two modules side by side. I did not ask if the ohms and wattage was compatible. I just assume that they would be as they are both Victory bikes. I'm going the route of the individual resistor. Its not that difficult to t-tap them to the wire leads for the new signals and there's plenty of space to mount them were they won't cause any issue with heat dissipation. :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Charlie , I don't believe that flasher will work , especially on your older model , MBW makes a resistor I believe the part # is LR-10 . Not 100% sure it fits your model but it may get you in the right direction . I know for a fact MBW makes what you need . Contact Paul at Victoryonly.com as he is an MBW dealer and helped me get the right one for my bike , only 3 wire hookup and saves a ton of headaches . To you other guys with newer bikes , I believe DFW Highball did a write up of trying to use just that flasher relay to cure his LED's from fast flashing .... It didn't . He still ended up putting in his own resistors , and he could have used the LR-10 MBW unit itself and been done in 25 minutes or so . Hope this helps .

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... You suggested a 8ohm 20 or 25w resistor. So with any higher ohms or wattage would there be any possible issue? ....
Shouldn't be an issue, but you're now experimeting instead of traveling the hardened path.

... not sure if the BW flasher would be a plug and play with the 06 hammer's ACM.
It won't work at all, never mind being plug-n-play. :eek:

By the way, if you feel like experimenting, be aware that the right front signal is wired backwards and will fry your ACM ($200) if you ignore this. Use a voltmeter, and measure everything. Do not assume anything. Positive wires could be ground, and ground wires could be positive, against convention.

Charlie , I don't believe that flasher will work , especially on your older model , MBW makes a resistor I believe the part # is LR-10 . Not 100% sure it fits your model but it may get you in the right direction . I know for a fact MBW makes what you need . Contact Paul at Victoryonly.com as he is an MBW dealer and helped me get the right one for my bike , only 3 wire hookup and saves a ton of headaches . To you other guys with newer bikes , I believe DFW Highball did a write up of trying to use just that flasher relay to cure his LED's from fast flashing .... It didn't . He still ended up putting in his own resistors , and he could have used the LR-10 MBW unit itself and been done in 25 minutes or so . Hope this helps .
Great advise there. thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Crossroads and Mags. I have ordered the flasher and the factory resistor from a 2013 BW... DW tried to only use the flasher I believe. The only hole I see is I am not totally sure what wattage the factory stuff is good for??? I am not using factory BW signals so that maybe my only issue... What do you fellas think?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Crossroads and Mags. I have ordered the flasher and the factory resistor from a 2013 BW... DW tried to only use the flasher I believe. The only hole I see is I am not totally sure what wattage the factory stuff is good for??? I am not using factory BW signals so that maybe my only issue... What do you fellas think?
Well, your situation is about 100% different than Charlie's, because of the different year model. You might be able to get the BW conversion working, but again, you're experimenting. As long as you're willing to experiment (and it can get costly sometimes), it's fine. If you want a proven solution, just use the MBW resistors.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Well I guess I will be the mule on this one. I will give you guys a full write up once I have it all figured out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Travis , I guarantee you the MBW LR-10 Resistor will fix your problem on your bike , $29.95 @ Victoryonly.com , 3 wire hook up , 25 - 30 minutes install time . Works with front , rear , or front and rear LED directional . You do not need that other stuff . Goes right under your seat .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts