Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I noticed my brake light does not come on when frt brake applied and it does not kick off cruise either I'm thinking its that little switch at frt brake lever ?

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Hi I noticed my brake light does not come on when frt brake applied and it does not kick off cruise either I'm thinking its that little switch at frt brake lever ?
Probably. Does the brake come on when you press the foot brake?
What make/model/year bike do you have?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check the wire connection to the switch first. Had same problem and one of the two wires had come off the prong. If not off, may be just loose and giving a bad connection. Careful, don't bang your head on the fairing wing, it hurts. Don't ask how I know. :crzy:

steviej

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys and yes i'll watch my head lol!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well put new switch on and still dosnt work any other ideas next I guess fairing is coming off but prolly not till fall I can deal with it till then unless somebodies got any thoughts thanks rick!

·
13,263 Posts
check fuses

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the foot brake works the light and shuts off the cruise control.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes the foot brake works the light and shuts off the cruise control.
Here are the steps I personally would take. Realizing you replaced the switch you still haven't necessarily ruled it out. So:

1) test the switch with an multimeter. You should see an open circuit normally (infinite ohms) and roughly 0 ohms (less than 5 is probably ok) when activated.
2) bypass the switch to check brake light function. Disconnect the switch and with the key on (engine off or on, doesn't matter for this test) use a piece of wire as a jumper across the connector to the switch. If the light comes on, the switch is either faulty or not being pressed by your lever. If it doesn't, continue diagnosis
3) Check connections in the fairing/headlight. Follow the switch wires into the fairing and check the connections to the main harness. Are they loose, corroded, not plugged in at all?
4) Check main harness. Use that jumper wire from before to check brake light operation at the main harness. Jumper the wires that the switch wires plugged into and see if the brake light comes on. If it does, either the wires from the switch are bad (broken internally or pinched/cut and shorted somewhere) or the connections to the main harness are bad (corroded, loose, etc.)

Likelyhood is those 4 steps will find and allow you to fix the problem. If not you're going to be getting deeper into the bike and wiring harness which is out of my league for these bikes (i just don't know them well enough yet). That said, if the rear switch is working then it's extremely unlikely that the problem exists anywhere past the wiring in the fairing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks I'll try that prolly pull headlight out right now but wait for fairing time to ride haha thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts