Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just picked up a used 2013 Cross Country with 5k miles. The previous owner had the oil changed at 500 miles and immediately went to Mobil 1 full synthetic. My question is, now that the motorcycle has already been switched to full synthetic, would it be better to continue with that type of oil or should I go back to the recomended semi synthetic? I used to have a Vision and always used the victory oil change kits. I have searched all over the Web trying to find the answer to this question and have not seen it posed anywhere. What do y'all think? The only thing that worries me is from the posts I have read pretty much everyone agrees that once you go full synthetic you should not go back. I'm not necessarily asking for brand recommendations, simply asking if I should switch back from full synthetic Mobil 1 to a semi synthetic like the victory brand oil. I rode the bike about 500 miles from where I bought it and had absolutely no clutch issues at all. I did notice that the engine whine was much less than my old Vision, but I can't be sure that it is due only to the synthetic oil. Thanks for any and all input, it is greatly appreciated.

SF

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can switch back if you want. The days of the scare tactics of once gone synthetic you can never return are far in the past.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
You can switch back if you want. The days of the scare tactics of once gone synthetic you can never return are far in the past.
Agreed. thumb up

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, there a lot of yin-yang being talked about switching oils, but in real life the ony time I have actually seen any real issues with switching is when someone went from using conventional for over 100k miles, to a synthetic. That resulted in pretty bad leaks from several places on that old motor. You should have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
My last change was full synthetic, my next one is going to be regular, the next after that will be semi.
I do this to find the oil that I like in my bike, I keep notes on how it suites the bike.
My Triumph loves Shell Rotella T6, my Victory not so much, I can feel it.
Once I find the right one, that's what I will stay with.
So to answer your question, just like everyone says above me, don't worry about it, do what is right for you, your bike will not explode and die.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
This might be a teeny bit off track, but I just did an oil change prior to this winter's semi hibernation. When entering that in the maintenance log, I was surprised to discover I had put 7,000 miles on that oil. This was the first summer of my retirement and did not realize how many miles I had ridden. Since there were no cross continent trips, I assumed I was at about 4K. Silly me.
So I just fired off a sample to Blackstone Labs to be analyzed and added the TBN test. Will report to you when they report to me and we will all know what happens to Rotella-T6 at 7K miles. I'm glad it was Rotella-T6 and not Vic or Mobil1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thank you very much for all the replies. Every time I searched about this everyone cautioned about switching and I have not once seen anyone say switching back and forth is ok. When I used victory oil in my vision I never really liked it. Around 2k miles shifting would get very gritty feeling and I knew I needed to change the oil. This new bike I have has 5500k mile oil and shifts like brand new. I think I will stick with the Mobil 1 since it obviously holds up well and shifting is nice. What about these reusable oil filters? I've never used one before but if they are good then I'm willing to purchase one. When it comes to oil and filters, cost is a very small factor. Ideally I would like to get 100k plus miles out of this bike. I generally keep my vehicles until they die or are crashed. In fact, except for the harley I'm replacing I don't think I have ever gotten rid of a running vehicle. Anyway, thoughts on say an arlen ness reusable oil filter? Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am running one of those re-useable oil filters, the K&P. If your motive is to save money, save your money and get a OEM Victory filter or a Wix filter. The cost of buying a K&P or similar filter will take forever to reclaim by re-use. I feel it is a better filter and I like the idea of not dumping filters into the landfill so for me it was worth it, but I admit up front it will save me no money.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
real synthetic is best

using Amsoil from our sponsor or Redline real group IV + V oil is a smart move. the 20-50 is best in warmer areas + 10-40 is preferred in cooler riding. "discuss" as we may real synthetics are superior without question. with Vic oil being so costly for a semi synthetic its a no brainer. switching will not hurt but why use inferior products! mobil I V-twin is good but considering the price, may as well get Amsoil to your door for similar money from our Amsoil sponsor

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Your bike is doing good with Mobil1? Stick with it. It's good oil and if your like most it wont be in there long enough anyway. You can buy it at Walmart cheap enough. If you like riding 7 to 10k between oil changes it is still a good choice. Amsoil is what I use since the 5000 mile change. Prior I used Vic oil and it was wasted by 2500 miles. I will start changing my Amsoil at 5k intervals. It's delivered to my door with filters and a guarantee.

What ever you use....... change often and keep clean oil in there. That's what these bikes like. Especially the tranny's. Try not to experiment with different brands and viscosities. Your stock clutch doesn't like it. Stick with a 10/40 if going full syn. 20/50 only in hot climates yet 40 weight is preferred in Vic's motor. Says Vic.

Enjoy your new ride!thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This might be a teeny bit off track, but I just did an oil change prior to this winter's semi hibernation. When entering that in the maintenance log, I was surprised to discover I had put 7,000 miles on that oil. This was the first summer of my retirement and did not realize how many miles I had ridden. Since there were no cross continent trips, I assumed I was at about 4K. Silly me.
So I just fired off a sample to Blackstone Labs to be analyzed and added the TBN test. Will report to you when they report to me and we will all know what happens to Rotella-T6 at 7K miles. I'm glad it was Rotella-T6 and not Vic or Mobil1.
Ric , keep us informed of the findings please , I use the Rotella T6 also.thumb up

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Ric , keep us informed of the findings please , I use the Rotella T6 also.thumb up
Of course you do Mags. All great minds think alike. Sample duly sent a few days ago. thumb up

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used Mobil 1 10W40 motorcycle oil in my 08, Suzuki C50T Boulevard. About 1 1/2 years ago, two weeks after retiring, I took a 27 day ride down to Florida, visiting friends and relatives on the way. When I got back, I had over 5K miles on the bike and it was still shifting smooth as silk. That bike is supposed to have the oil changed at 3K. That experience sold me on the Mobil 1 and I used it until I sold the bike and bought my Vic.

I am using the Vic oil now only because the bike came with an extended warrantee and I don't want any grief if I need to use it.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Of course you do Mags. All great minds think alike. Sample duly sent a few days ago. thumb up
I bet I know how the results will turn out. :)

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I bet I know how the results will turn out. :)
Betcha do too Vindex. Looks like I got the jump on ya for the 7K mile analysis tho. I wasn't really trying for that tho, 7K snuck up on me. How'd you post the printed results? Take a photo and attach it?

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Betcha do too Vindex. Looks like I got the jump on ya for the 7K mile analysis tho. I wasn't really trying for that tho, 7K snuck up on me. How'd you post the printed results? Take a photo and attach it?
Printed it and took a photo.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
You should get a paper copy a few days later, after the e mail...:)

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
I'll get the report via email, not snail mail? :confused:
You do get it emailed just print it and either scan the printed copy or take a photo of it.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts