Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've always known Android phones were more capable and versatile, but i stuck with Apple for 2 main reasons: software security, hardware durability. Now iOS8.0.2 is a glitchy piece of **** that locks up constantly, and the iphone 6 is flimsy enough to bend in your pocket.

I'll probably be going with the S5 based on the specs and some first-hand experiences from family members. I like the HTC M8, but i've heard people have issues with them, I haven't ruled it out yet though. The Sony Xperia isnt available to me, otherwise that would be my first choice.

I'd like to hear comments and experiences preferably from people who have personally used both platforms for extended periods.

I'm on AT&T

·
Registered
107 Posts
I stopped drinking the iphone kool-aid 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I am on my second, soon to be 3rd Samsung Galaxy phone. I will be going with the S5. I know 2 people that have that phone and say nothing but good things about it. The durability of Samsung phones, the android software, and ease of use is the reason i will stay with an android phone.

·
Registered
246 Posts
LG G3 is an excellent phone also, I've had all kinds of phones. my last one being the Samsung Note 3. IM really impressed by what LG has done with this phone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I manage 98 phone lines for my company. We have several Galaxy S5 units in service. The battery life is excellent and have never had anyone complain about the phone. The one disappointment in the fingerprint reading is that it doesn't work with MS Exchange but does work properly for other things. It is it's own type of encryption which Exchange doesn't support. Apple's fingerprint simply enters your PIN. Samsung's is more sophisticated than that.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There had to be a disturbance in the Force with that decision. ;)

I have a Galaxy S3, got it when the 4 first came out and asked the Geek Dude at the phone shop what he thought. He rattled a few things off and noted the camera wasn't as "good". His honest opinion was to go with the 3, good choice for us. So far, pretty bullet proof and does more than I know how to do with the thing.

I phones were great at first, are made of nice materials, and give a since of something substantial when you hold it, and all the Ianything connectors fit Ianything else. Not a given any more. Another problem is they are a bit frail, and all the info is owned by Apple. So, good luck transferring any music, data, etc. if you need to. It can be done, but for most folks isn't easy.

Take the experiences of your friends, online reviews, and an open mind in to the phone shop. Ask for a repair tech if they have one, or at least someone that is a master of all in the shop. Explain what you want, need, and have to have. Reception retention is also important, so make sure to get that one in as well.

Happy Shopping

·
Registered
790 Posts
So i've always known Android phones were more capable and versatile, but i stuck with Apple for 2 main reasons: software security, hardware durability. Now iOS8.0.2 is a glitchy piece of **** that locks up constantly, and the iphone 6 is flimsy enough to bend in your pocket.

I'll probably be going with the S5 based on the specs and some first-hand experiences from family members. I like the HTC M8, but i've heard people have issues with them, I haven't ruled it out yet though. The Sony Xperia isnt available to me, otherwise that would be my first choice.

I'd like to hear comments and experiences preferably from people who have personally used both platforms for extended periods.

I'm on AT&T
Apple makes good products. The IOS is great but as in all new operating systems buggy, particularly now that they are incorporating everything their competitors have. Just like their map program, it takes time to catch up. They are also no longer "more secure" than other phones.

They are also the best at keeping all phones IOS updated, others are very lacking.

that said...I used windows mobile when it first came out, needed Outlook integration. Quickly moved to Android and get a new phone almost annually. Currently use the Galaxy Note 3, (Note 4 about to come out(. It's just a shade big, but unbelievable power and flexibility. Check out S5, Note 3 and Note 4, Motorola X (ver2), and the Nexus 6 will soon be release. With the Nexus 6 it will be similar to Apple since released my Google in that the OS won't get old and stale.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know if you own an iPhone 6. I'm typing this on an iPhone 6. I can tell you that you will not bend an iPhone in you pocket. You Would have a to be a complete moron to bend an iPhone 6. It is very solid.

While I did have a few very minor glitches with iOS 8. I can tell you iOS 8.0.2 has corrected them. It is just as stable as iOS 7. I don't care what kind of phone anyone chooses. I do care about people posting total crap.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if you own an iPhone 6. I'm typing this on an iPhone 6. I can tell you that you will not bend an iPhone in you pocket. You Would have a to be a complete moron to bend an iPhone 6. It is very solid.

While I did have a few very minor glitches with iOS 8. I can tell you iOS 8.0.2 has corrected them. It is just as stable as iOS 7. I don't care what kind of phone anyone chooses. I do care about people posting total crap.
I have 8.0.2, and it didnt fix any of the issues i had. Still glitchy and freezes up

·
Registered
262 Posts
What iPhone do you have? What are the glitches? The issue I had with 8 was Bluetooth not connecting properly in my car. Also a couple apps had to be deleted and downloaded fresh. Sometimes stuff doesn't reinstall right from backups. Everything is running smooth now for me.

If you decide to get an android. I'd steer clear of HTC. I had tons of head aches with my old HTC inspire that I had before my iPhone 5.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What iPhone do you have? What are the glitches? The issue I had with 8 was Bluetooth not connecting properly in my car. Also a couple apps had to be deleted and downloaded fresh. Sometimes stuff doesn't reinstall right from backups. Everything is running smooth now for me.

If you decide to get an android. I'd steer clear of HTC. I had tons of head aches with my old HTC inspire that I had before my iPhone 5.
I'm using an iPhone 5, my 3rd one, due to repeatedly failing "lock" buttons. I'm just hoping this one doesn't break before I'm eligible for an upgrade.

The phone will freeze up when using the facebook app, safari, youtube, etc and render it useless for almost a minute.

When typing on a forum (right now) anytime i touch the screen to activate the typing function, it always moves the screen and zooms in to a default location, but it zooms into the wrong place and is extremely annoying when I'm trying to type or copy a link... That's always been the case though, since they are very poorly optimized for use outside of a mobile website(which i despise) or in horizontal mode

When i search for a text message by name, either nothing comes up, or something totally random comes up.

They removed the clock from the top of the screen when horizontal.

It's a genuine pain in the ass when i go to move the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen while typing and the browser controls pop up instead. They should have left that feature out with iOS7.

A message keeps popping up saying a download has failed, but i don't have any idea what it's trying to download.

When i tell the music player only to show music i have currently downloaded on the phone, it still shows almost everything. So i just use a 3rd party music player all together.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I just swithced from IPhone 4s to the Galaxy S5. My iPhone started freezing up and loading slow after IOS8 upgrade. B fore that it was pretty decent . Although I had some of the same issues as Rumblebox when typing.

I like the S5 so far, although I'm still trying to figure it all out. Just got it last week.
My only complaint about the S5 so far is the fingerprint reader is real picky. I find myself swiping several times sometimes.
I also kind of wish I would have bought a little smaller phone. It's kind of cumbersome compared to a more compact unit like my 4S. But I will get used to that I'm sure.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm using an iPhone 5, my 3rd one, due to repeatedly failing "lock" buttons. I'm just hoping this one doesn't break before I'm eligible for an upgrade.

The phone will freeze up when using the facebook app, safari, youtube, etc and render it useless for almost a minute.

When typing on a forum (right now) anytime i touch the screen to activate the typing function, it always moves the screen and zooms in to a default location, but it zooms into the wrong place and is extremely annoying when I'm trying to type or copy a link... That's always been the case though, since they are very poorly optimized for use outside of a mobile website(which i despise) or in horizontal mode

When i search for a text message by name, either nothing comes up, or something totally random comes up.

It's a genuine pain in the ass when i go to move the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen while typing and the browser controls pop up instead. They should have left that feature out with iOS7.

A message keeps popping up saying a download has failed, but i don't have any idea what it's trying to download.

When i tell the music player only to show music i have currently downloaded on the phone, it still shows almost everything. So i just use a 3rd party music player all together.
The new IOS is reported on many forums to be buggy, particularly to older phones upgrading. Version 7 lost many people there contacts. Just as in computers clean machines with clean installs work This is why it is less buggy on iPhone 6, clean out of the box. Many of my friends who early adopted are also experiencing lock ups on 8.0.2

Do a factory reset to clear up many of your problems. When they get a few more versions in the IOs will be OK.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just swithced from IPhone 4s to the Galaxy S5. My iPhone started freezing up and loading slow after IOS8 upgrade. B fore that it was pretty decent . Although I had some of the same issues as Rumblebox when typing.

I like the S5 so far, although I'm still trying to figure it all out. Just got it last week.
My only complaint about the S5 so far is the fingerprint reader is real picky. I find myself swiping several times sometimes.
I also kind of wish I would have bought a little smaller phone. It's kind of cumbersome compared to a more compact unit like my 4S. But I will get used to that I'm sure.
Life is a learning curve. It was the same when you switched bikes.

You will grow to love the S5, particularly if you mount it to your handle bars. Large screen and WATER PROOF.

Not to knock Apple, but if you want to "DUMB DOWN" your phone and make it work more like IOS6-7, you can go into settings and change it to "basic" mode and you'll just get simple screens like an Iphone. remember, Widgets and customized screens are old hat to Android and new to Apple so you aren't use to all the customization yet.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts

I'm on AT&T
Well Ive had a Sont Xperia even since my iPhone succumbed to water damage after being in my inside vest pocket under my zipped up leather jacket a while back, in torrential rain.
Did the rice thing and dissasemble and clean as well but in the end it was useless, they dont like moisture!
Sony Xperia is waterproof to a metre so never had a moisture issue in well over a year of ownership.
A phone thats carried on a motorcycle in all weather has to be waterproof.
End of story.

·
Registered
262 Posts

It's kind funny. My old 5 is at Apple now getting a new lock button. Mine is getting replaced for free. Was yours fixed free? Mine still worked if you press it on the left side of the button. Have you tried a reboot whenever my phone acts up I restart it. Then it's good for a few weeks. I'm not sure about the other stuff. Maybe try resetting the phone. I know using this website on a phone is a pain.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
To the original poster...You may have experience with iOS 8.02 "glitches", however I have not had any as of yet. There could be several things causing your issues. But regarding your claim about the iPhone 6 bending, I believe you have been misinformed...at least somewhat. The iPhone 6 Plus (5.5" diagonal screen) is the thinnest phone on the market, and so it goes without saying that if you ABUSE this phone, it can be broken. But the truth is that if you bring me a Samsung S5 or the M8, I can bend those too. Don't believe me, send it to me and I'll send it back to you...bent.

My point is that if you don't like the iPhone fine get another brand, but don't slam the phone based on rumors or heresay. Out of 30 million phones so far, 9 have been bent. That is such a small percentage it is negligible...and even those 9 are suspect.

I have the 6 Plus and rode around with it in my front jeans pocket...no problems at all. A small, thin case can reinforce the phone...not that it needs UNLESS you sit on it or wear skin tight jeans.

I don't own a MAC...I'm a PC guy, but for phones...I've had every version of the iPhone they have issued...this one is by far the very best.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's kind funny. My old 5 is at Apple now getting a new lock button. Mine is getting replaced for free. Was yours fixed free? Mine still worked if you press it on the left side of the button. Have you tried a reboot whenever my phone acts up I restart it. Then it's good for a few weeks. I'm not sure about the other stuff. Maybe try resetting the phone. I know using this website on a phone is a pain.
They replaced it for free both times, but i had to raise hell at the apple store the 2nd time. When mine failed, it lost its "spring" effect and just remained in the down position. It worked for a while if i pressed really hard, but after a week or so it auit completely. At that point, i had to use assistive touch and just let the phone die if i wanted to restart it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My point is that if you don't like the iPhone fine get another brand, but don't slam the phone based on rumors or heresay. Out of 30 million phones so far, 9 have been bent. That is such a small percentage it is negligible...and even those 9 are suspect.
Point being, the phone formerly was significantly more indestructible than its android counterparts. Now they are more comparable regarding durability. It would be nearly impossible to bend an iphone 5 without either using a hammer or ending up with shards of glass stuck in your skin.

And that was only a small part of the plethora of reasons I wont be buying another iphone.

Not to mention its intolerance to moisture.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Not true at all. I can bend any phone you want to send to me with my hands. There were reports of all of the versions of iPhones bending, as well as many of the other brand name phones.

If a person wants a phone intolerant to water...maybe they should drive a car. I'm just saying that if you care responsibly for this thing that is a COMPUTER with a phone in it...then none of the ABUSE issues should matter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not true at all. I can bend any phone you want to send to me with my hands. There were reports of all of the versions of iPhones bending, as well as many of the other brand name phones.

If a person wants a phone intolerant to water...maybe they should drive a car. I'm just saying that if you care responsibly for this thing that is a COMPUTER with a phone in it...then none of the ABUSE issues should matter.
You're side-stepping the point. The iphone could be fireproof, waterproof, and nukeproof, and i would still have a significant number of reasons to switch to android.

I need a good smart phone, because i don't use a laptop or desktop. My phone IS my computer, my planner, my notebook, calendar, GPS, music player, etc etc. So there's nothing unreasonable or irresponsible about wanting a phone that can withstand mild aquatic conditions, ESPECIALLY since it is "a computer with a phone in it."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts