Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Gunner is a thin, lean bike and I wanted removable saddlebags that were thin, useful, expandable, and modular. I had the thin Condor utility pouch on the swing arm. Great for riding and stashing my glasses, registration, house keys and whatnot. But, when I ride with my wife, we need a little more space. I made some measurements and ended up going with the Condor Outdoor 137 shoulder bags- $25 each- and some Easy Brackets made for the Vegas- $160. I ended up at Home Depot buying a 2x4 sheet of 1/2" plywood- $9. Total cost $229 plus shipping. We have a ride coming up and I paid extra for express shipping...

Anyhow, I mounted the Easy bracket spools and attached the brackets. I then measured the bag- 8"x 11.25"x 5". I cut the plywood 8x11.25 and sanded slightly until it fit against the back wall of the inside of the bags snugly. Then, I took the piece of wood, held it to the easy bracket and used a small level and maneuvered it until I got it level and placed where I wanted it. I used a marker to trace the bracket onto the wood and then took the bracket off, placed it onto the wood, and traced out the holes. I drilled the holes and then used that piece of wood as a jig for the second piece to ensure the placement of the bags was identical. Then I put the wood on the outside of the bag and used it to drill the holes through the back of the bag. I had a piece of wood inside the bag to stop from drilling though the entire bag. I mounted the brackets and then checked fitment on the bike. Perfection! They are thin but each bag is over 400 sq inches. Plenty for a rolled up sweatshirt, her purse, some glasses, or anything else that goes in a saddlebag. I then mounted my swing arm bag onto the outside and it fit great! I plan on adding some small modular pouches to the outside, and I may even buy two more of these bags in case I want expanded capacity. The molle straps work awesome. I can even bungie things to the outside of the bags like the little folding three legged stools we take to bike events to have a place to sit. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Easy bracket pic

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting it positioned properly

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one bag mounted!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another pic of the rt side bag

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keeping it skinny from behind!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Attached the swing arm bag temporarily to see how it works. The bags hold their shape pretty well. I'm probably going to get a couple of the molle water bottle holders and some smaller pouches for the outside. I also have some very small bungee cords to attach things to the outside as well. I am thrilled with how they look and how functional they are.

Sorry about the whole one pic per reply thing.

Please tell me what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think that came out great! (Sorry I didn't get promised pics of my bolts and brackets to you already.)

And I can tell you that yours was a heck of a lot cheaper than the Victory OEM option!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I just rode with them on for the first time this morning- all highway. No noise, no issues. I may pick up some small locks to lock the zipper pulls together, but boy are they on there solidly! The zippers are covered- they look pretty water resistant but they are a little tough- I can live with that for $20-something per bag! They are a little difficult to close because the bag is not rigid, but honestly, I cannot complain. I also cut a piece of wood for the bottom to alleviate sag. The cool benefit to the wood is that it is a light color so when I look for things in the bag it's pretty easy.

It was nice to not need a backpack this morning to bring my lunch and things to work. I even have a Stanley travel coffee cup that doesn't leak and I can bring my coffee with me. I need that additional cup at work in the morning and hated having the weight in the backpack when riding before.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Let me know what you think!
I think you did a great job, but are they waterproof?

I just got an ad for these today. And here I thought $99 was a hell of a deal?!

http://www.compacc.com/p/tourmaster-select-luggage-saddle-bags?utm_campaign=2539192&utm_content=14881074712&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision

Anyway, the one thing they got going for them is they come with the rain covers.

I'm glad to see people working around these crazy OEM luggage prices.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at many different bags, including those. Then I ended up putting on the small, thin Condor bag on the swingarm and I was hooked. There's a bag out there by Biltwell called the Exfil 7- nice bag with great features... It says they will have other bags, but they don't (yet) and those were small. What I really like about mine- they have a very small profile, yet are quite capable. And I like the ability to add any pouches/bags I want to from the local army/navy. And they're different.

I do have some rain bags from an old pair of Cortech saddlebags that may fit- they have the sewn in bungie cords to secure them. These bags do have a flap covering the zipper anyhow, and I'd say they are water-resistant. They're like a pistol bag material- a thinner ballistic nylon material.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome Idea man I'm def thinking about doing this for my Highball. I wander how well they will hold there shape after some use & getting wet?
I need bags even less then you that's why I don't want to spend hundreds.
Thanks for the awesome Idea keep us updated on how they hold up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a charity ride for a local cancer center. The bags got LOADED! They did very well. Each bag had a long sleeve t shirt and water bottle from the ride, as well as all the pink stuff we wore throughout the ride and took off when it was done, some winter hats and extra gloves (it was 47 degrees when we started), my wife's purse, my glasses in a case. My wife remarked about how much stuff we kept pulling out of them when we got home. She said it was like a clown car- just kept pulling more out of them! They did well, and it sounds dumb, but I'm proud that I made them. You have to understand, I try to do things and usually wreck something and cost myself more cash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
looks fantastic,
I just hope the ply is strong enough to stop the bags from pulling away from the bolt, I presume you used the largest flat washer that fitted the bolt on the inside of the bags.
if you did you should be ok.
On mine I used 3mm perspex sheeting sikaflexed to the inside of my leather bags.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Nicely done! Those look nice!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think these bags are going anywhere! There is no hardware in actual contact with the bags. And with the straps and such on the back of the bag, a couple of the bolts actually went through the molle sticks adding additional strength. We hit 60 mph with the bags loaded and no issues whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which bag did you use for the swingarm and how did you attach it? I'm looking for swingarm bag but all the purpose built ones are outrageous.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem. When you attach it, you can do it around the caliper mount to stop it from sliding at all, and then take the molle sticks and weave them back into the second from the bottom strap then out and around the lowest strap and snap them together. Takes a little work, but it makes it VERY secure and should the snaps let go, it has the chance of getting hooked on itself to keep the bag from falling off. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Also, the molle sticks will go between the cable and the swing arm nicely. The pic will show the two right molle sticks going on either side of the caliper bracket.

Oh, and you'll only spend about $21 for this too!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem. When you attach it, you can do it around the caliper mount to stop it from sliding at all, and then take the molle sticks and weave them back into the second from the bottom strap then out and around the lowest strap and snap them together. Takes a little work, but it makes it VERY secure and should the snaps let go, it has the chance of getting hooked on itself to keep the bag from falling off. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Also, the molle sticks will go between the cable and the swing arm nicely. The pic will show the two right molle sticks going on either side of the caliper bracket.

Oh, and you'll only spend about $21 for this too!
Thanks a bunch man! I just ordered one after I saw your other post earlier. Just what I was looking for, something low profile that can keep my wallet/keys/phone/boom stick in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts