Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after running the tail of the dragon yesterday(half or more of it wet) I gotta say, it's no more impressive than wolf pen gap rd, hwy 19, and part of 60.
which is to say, the right half of the west loop of six gap.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the dragon's tail, it was fun, beautiful, challenging, etc....
but wolf pen gap rd is actually tighter turns and slower going on half of it. the next turn is closer and tighter it feels like on the lower half of hwy 60 from suches down to hwy 19.
I think I'll make myself a new route for fun, it'll start at the 180 Diner on wolf pen gap rd at the bottom of the mountain where the roads starts to get straighter, then go up the mountain, make a right on hwy 19, head south to hwy 60 and make a right, then head to suches and u-turn and run the route backwards, stop off at the 180 Diner for a bite to eat, and then run right back up the mountain again to head towards home.
I'm gonna check the miles and count the turns, I bet we got a better dragon down here.cheers

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I have to agree with your assessment of those roads Spider. We have friends who live on Hwy. 60 just north of Suches and have been there a few times. Did the Dragon just to say "been there done that" but other roads in northern Georgia are equal or bertter, plus less traffic and enforcement.
Please complete your profile and signature so we'll know what your riding and where you call home.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have to agree with your assessment of those roads Spider.
I would like to know where those roads are.

I would like to know what the OP means by "impressive."

I have spent a lot of time riding in Ky, Ga, Tn, WV, Oh, In, NC, Ar, Tx, BC, the west coast, and a good bit of the alps. DG is still my favorite bit of twisty ribbon to get silly on.

It can also be one of my least favorite places to ride.

Go on a sunny weekend afternoon day and you'll be there without me.

Go early on a weekday morning and you'll have to set your alarm to beat me there.

The fact that it's curvy or even densely curvy is not what makes it fab. The fact they they keep it well paved, and that there are no cross streets or driveways entering it, and that it has a variety of on and off camber corners, and great site lines, and plenty of elevation changes, and there is gas, food, and mechanical services nearby, and that the medics have a lot of practice patching up bikers there, are a few things that make it "impressive" to me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Certainly, there are more technical roads than the dragon.

Devil's triangle.
Hwy 16 to Tazewell (back of the dragon)
......just a couple examples.

Missouri Ozarks and North Central Arkansas for us, because it's our back yard.

:)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Certainly, there are more technical roads than the dragon.

Devil's triangle.
Hwy 16 to Tazewell (back of the dragon)
......just a couple examples.
Where is this "Devil's triangle?" Are you referring to this little stretch of road up near the old prison?

IMG_0915.jpg

My favorite part of it was where it turned to dirt.

Missouri Ozarks and North Central Arkansas for us, because it's our back yard.
:)
I stayed over in Eureka Springs and ran a pretty good piece of the surrounding area. I enjoyed it, but it surely wasn't terribly technical:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Living in Florida enjoy all the good roads can get but usually don't see any until get to North GA .. While I rate the Dragon as a must and will ride it if in the area .. After having Done it several times is not critical to me anymore, but as another stated I start early on a weekday morning and let the idiots have the weekend afternoons .. Just my own opinion but I enjoyed the Ozarks More .. Look forward to going back ..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well, I just ran six gap again, the west loop, to check mileages and such.
I agree on the Dragon, it's well paved and really no straightaways, just work work work...
lots of fun.
what I found out here locally, is if you start at the 180 Diner(180diner.com)(wolf pen gap rd(hwy 180)) and head north for 5.1 miles, turn right(south) on hwy 19 for 10 miles, you'll have about 15 miles and about 250-350 turns, I lost track what with traffic, fun, and all.
at that point, 129 separates from 19.
also, hwy 348 which runs between 180 and alt75, has an over 11 mile run in the twisties, don't know how many turns.

these roads are north central georgia, the dark green spot on most maps. hwy 60 runs from morganton to suches.
hwy 180 has a west side(west of hwy 19) and an east side(east of hwy 19).
west side is wolf pen gap rd. 180 sort of dog legs up 19 for about 3 miles.
if heading north on hwy 19 from atlanta, at first it's called Ga. 400. after that it's hwy 19.
after going through helen, ga, you'll pass hwy 60 on left, keep going and eventually find hwy 180 on left, then 3 more miles and hwy 180 on right.
if you make that right, go a couple of miles and turn right on 348.
http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_nga.html
click on that, then click on any map names across the bottom, explore what you find, and you'll find a map of everthing.
moonshiners 28 run begins at it's north side right at the base of the Dragon, and runs 100 miles south, just follow hwy 28.
tail of the dragon is simply hwy 129 for the first 11 miles beginning at the tenn/nc border and heading north into tn.
right at the border there is where 28 connects to 129.
other runs are right in the area.
devil's triangle is just northwest of knoxville, tn.

check out this website, just click on whatever state you want, then on what part of the state, and it'll show you the roads, color coded for what they are, red means twisties, blue is long sweepers, green is scenic, etc...
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html
I ride an 03 vegas 8ball. putting more miles on my pegs everyday....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I got it figured out. when I go to ride, this is the route I'll take.
directions from blairsville, ga:

head south on 19 till you get to 180 on your right(wolf pen gap rd). this is the start of the fun, run 5 miles down wolf pen, uturn at the 180 diner, 5 miles back up to 19, turn south(right).
10 miles south on 19 to where 19 and 129 split, uturn and 13 miles north to 180 on your right(east side of 19, the 180 that heads east to 75).
that's 33 miles of twisty so far.
now make that right turn on 180 heading east, a few miles down, go right(south) on 348. straight for 3 miles, then it's 11 miles of twisty. uturn at the bottom and head back up.
so that's 55 miles of twisty road with only about 6 miles of relative straightaway in between.
I'll see if I can make a map and get a picture up on here.

well, that's the good part of the run, it'll take me 15 miles of regular road to get to the starting point, then 15 back home. my fun run'll be about 90-100 miles with over half of it very very twisty. best $9 ever spent.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

ok, sorry for the tint, don't know why the camera did that.
well, what's supposed to be the pink highlights are the twisty sections of each road.
the long 'green' line starting at the 180 diner and going down 19 and then down 348 is the route.
each leg is run down then back up, I didn't draw uturn lines, but that's what you do at the end of the leg, uturn.
I hope it's readable enough, zoom in if you need.
this is at the very top of north georgia in the green forest zone.
if you see Gainesville on the map by the big blue lake Lanier, look north of that. you'll see it.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm attending a rally that has this sweet bit of asphalt rented out for a day or two.
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/2013/visit/at-the-museum/gardens-grounds-and-ranch/historic-maryhill-loops-road
To check out the unique Rally in the Gorge, go to www.soundriders.com. Not your average rally.
I did that one year. It was a blast. The opened up that road and let us run it as fast as we pleased. My only bad memory was that we stayed at a beautiful cabin on the banks of the Columbia river. It also neighbored an active train track that passed several locos a night. Red eyes were the color of the day.

I won some butt balm for attending from the furthest away.

http://www.soundrider.com/sbnw/

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
You do get around Saddle. Even though I gave up camping a long time ago, I'm going to tent it at the rally so I can be in the middle of things. The tent sites are free, can't beat that price. So many things on the schedule that one can not do them all. Looking forward to it even if I'll be the oldest rider there and the only cruiser, maybe. If anyone is wondering what Saddle and I are talking about, here's a link to the Rally in the Gorge...
http://www.soundrider.com/stour/rally/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, getting back to six gap and the dragon.....I'm gonna run that route I highlighted and see how whipped I am at the end of it.
but today I gotta take the lady out for a movie, maybe run the route tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You do get around Saddle. Even though I gave up camping a long time ago, I'm going to tent it at the rally so I can be in the middle of things. The tent sites are free, can't beat that price. So many things on the schedule that one can not do them all. Looking forward to it even if I'll be the oldest rider there and the only cruiser, maybe. If anyone is wondering what Saddle and I are talking about, here's a link to the Rally in the Gorge...
http://www.soundrider.com/stour/rally/
Do you know David Hough? He used to write for MCN. He was there when I was there. I got the impression it was a regular thing for him. Anyway, he's up there with ya. You may have competition for the winning butt balm. Enjoy. thumb up

·
Registered
110 Posts
Where is this "Devil's triangle?" Are you referring to this little stretch of road up near the old prison?

I stayed over in Eureka Springs and ran a pretty good piece of the surrounding area. I enjoyed it, but it surely wasn't terribly technical:
No, the roads around Eureka Springs are not technical.
Hwy 7 South of Jasper - then hang a left on 374 and then right on 123 at the "T". It loops back out on 7.

... and there are many more....

The Devil's Triangle is North West of Knoxville (Oliver Springs). Hwy 116. On the West side is Frozen Head State park and Brushy Prison.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
No, the roads around Eureka Springs are not technical.
Hwy 7 South of Jasper - then hang a left on 374 and then right on 123 at the "T". It loops back out on 7.
You've given me reason for a return appearance.

The Devil's Triangle is North West of Knoxville (Oliver Springs). Hwy 116. On the West side is Frozen Head State park and Brushy Prison.
That's what I thought. The pic I posted of my friend pointing at the "twisty roads next 25 miles" was taken right in front of Brushy Mtn Prison. It's a good road especially right up from the prison, nice and wide, but it's no substitute for DG to me. As I mentioned, my favorite part was riding a fire road up over the mountain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts