Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of my HD's having some kind of issue every time I go on a trip. The last issue didn't keep me from riding but was still annoying.

So I am looking at the Vision Tours. I think it's time for a bit less noise and hopefully a better service record.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Smart Man , welcome to the forum . cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2011 Road Glide Ultra and 2007 CVO Road King.

The 11 RGU is one its 2nd clutch cable and last year on a trip the stator blew for the 2nd time and that delayed me 3 extra days.

I looked at the Kawasaki Voyager at the DC motorcycle show and it fit my needs but some thing was lacking.

So possibly a Vision in my near future.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I love the RG... I have always wanted one. I have owned 2 Harley's and 2 victory's... My first Harley was an 89 dyna wide glide, although I loved the bike it handled like a piece of ****. My second HD was a Fatboy that I customized pretty heavily. I couldn't keep that thing running. My first Vic was the Highball and it was love at first sight. After I rode the highball for a couple weeks and did some minor mods (stage one in HD terms) I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!!! When I decided it was time for a bagger I was torn between the 15 RG and the Vic XC (cross country) I rode both and the XC was the winner hands down. 3 years of riding Vic's and 25,000km later and not an issue that wasn't my own fault.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've never owned a Harley but I do like the Ultra Limited. That said, I doubt I'll ever change simply because of all the "bad" I've read, not to mention the cost of them. If I could afford two bikes, then I'd have one , just because.

I have been riding for at least 50 years and have owned many different street bikes, my last 3 being an '03 Wing, '06 Royal Star Venture, and an '87 Venture Royale. Of all the bikes I can say the XCT I now have is by far the best bike for me. Handling is as good or better than the Wing and I had the Traxxion suspension on that bike, power of the XCT is damn close to the Wing, Comfort is better than the '06 Venture which was more comfortable than any other bike I've owned. Maintenance is a walk in the park. 24,000 Kms so far and absolutely no problems. Safety Chrome, Farkles, and performance components are readily available and there's more to come. Basically I can't say enough good things about the XCT.

Tried the Vision a few times ... nice but just doesn't suit or fit as good as the XCT does.

·
12,970 Posts
how many miles on the RG and are you going to H-D dealer for service of aftermarket shop. I had 3 RG and over 190 thousand miles on them and never let me down. Harley clutch cable has maybe a 3% failure rate. Its the best cable out there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have independent HD tech that does all my non-warranty stuff.

I have watched him lube the cables and he adjusted the clutch to my liking.

So not sure why the cable is failing.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
The XCT is nice but I do not want a fork mounted fairing.

So my choices are slim.
Mattman, you are smart for doing your homework. I have had my XR over 5 years w/o one "issue." I too did my research prior to buying, and when I was asked if I wanted the the 5 year warranty for only $400, I passed with the dealer's approval. They said we only see Victorys for routine maintenance and accessories. They haven't seen my bike at all as I do my own work as they are so easy to work on.
I have a friend with a Vision and limited mechanical knowledge, so I do the wrenching for him. He has a burned out headlight bulb and neither of us wants to tackle it due to having to remove a lot of the fairing to get to it. That's not a big thing on the XC.
I understand not wanting a fork mounted fairing, but have you ridden an XC? I think you'll find it handles far better than an H-D with the same fairing. The XCT has tons more case capacity than does the Vision. Just some thoughts from this old timer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also the XCT is money than I want to pay....especially when I am buying used.

I understand the having to remove all plastic.

I do need to check out the bag storage.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
You won't get away from crap clutch cables with Victory, or starters, or fuel pumps but you will have a smooth running engine. I own both and can't say one is better than the other they are just different. I have well over 100,000 miles on H/D over 30 years with very little trouble and my Vegas besides some initial problems has been very good. Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I recently got to ride a Vision. Picture your favorite recliner. You know that feeling when you sit back and wiggle just right…you can almost hear your entire body go “Ahhhhhh”. Now take that picture, slap it on top of a crotch rocket, and put in a VTwin soundtrack and that’s a Vision. Was tempted to get rid of the XC, but mine is almost as comfortable and has twice the storage (paid for doesn’t hurt either) so ill keep my skully.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's no where near me.

After reading the reviews of the bikes I was considering, I decided to pass on the vision.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That's no where near me.

After reading the reviews of the bikes I was considering, I decided to pass on the vision.

Thanks for all your help.
OK, so what's your focus now?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Today I bought. 2012 Kawasaki Voyager for 8750 off ebay.
Awesome!

Now you must be familiar with the rules here.....

:worthless without:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts