Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never takes much to get me to talk about anything. Some here encouraged me to write about my new adventures with the Spyder.
Like a lot of Spyder riders, it began with leg problems that ended a 67 year run on two wheels. It was fun while it lasted. Not interested in trikes, the only way to stay in the wind was with a Spyder.
My wife, Carol and I rode about 200K miles together, but although she tried, she wasn't agile enough to ride on the XR and said, it was fun while it lasted, you go and have fun on it.
Fast forward to a week ago, the two of us went to the dealer (the same one I bought the Victory from back in 2010) and we both tried to mount the RT touring model that I thought I wanted. I could mount it, but the legs wouldn't let me sit on it - ouch!
Next to the RT, was this very cool looking F3 Limited and we tried it out and we both fit! We were so happy about that, because not only is the F3 sportier, it was a helluva lot cheaper, because it was a 2017 leftover.
That's enough for now....to be continued.
Next; The old guy freaks out on the test ride. :eek

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Not interested in trikes
Is this not considered a trike? ;)
Congrats on your new chapter. 67 years in the wind is longer than a lot of people LIVE. It's a helluvan accomplishment.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In the wind is IN THE WIND!
It doesn't matter if it's 2 wheels or 3. Of course with the Spyder there will be no lane splitting....

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course with the Spyder there will be no lane splitting....
Or avoiding running over indecisive squirrels. :grin

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Or avoiding running over indecisive squirrels. :grin
I beg to differ; now you have 3 lines of wheel travel as opposed to 1... :devil

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good looking ride. Now you'll be buying cheaper tires.
Yes and no. The tires that come on Spyders are (believe it or not) motorcycle type tires. But many on the Spyder forum are using car tires.

·
Registered
623 Posts
very Kewl Ricz,

Can't wait to hear how you are making out on the new ride...enjoy brother!!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CHAPTER 2....
On Saturday, we established that Carol can mount the F3 without disgracing herself, so the next hurdle was the test ride. Is Ric up to not leaning, bar steering, and no handle bar levers? We'll see.
Just light to no rain Wednesday, so I trundled over to the dealer for the dreaded test ride. There was the lecture; "Remember, there are no brake and clutch levers and this is how you put in into reverse." REVERSE?!? Oh rapture unbearable! I can park that thing any which way I want to. "The shifter for the transmission is on the left grip - use your thumb for upshifts and your trigger finger for downshifts. The only brake is by your right foot, it operates all three wheels." Then he gives me the drill for starting and what all the buttons on the left are for, and they are for a lot of stuff.
And now, the moment of truth. Engine running, parking brake turned off, first gear engaged, throttle slowly eased down, brakes released and we start rolling. Up the driveway, stop at Water Avenue, wait for a car to pass and turn left toward OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) where there's a left-right jog in the road. As I gain speed, I thumb 'er into second and she does it with a tiny blip without me moving the throttle one bit. Neat!
That left curve is approaching - it's do or die time. Holy crap! This thing is leaning right while I'm trying to tun left! We're rolling over for sure, hit the brakes! Whew, that was close.
Next; Practice makes not quite perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm on the edge of my seat @RICZ as to how this story is gonna' end .....

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Remember Ric at LEAST 250 miles before you ..start.. to feel comfortable. It feels like it'll roll but it won't.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
no countersteering on a Spyder, thats how my mate Tommo ended up in the Currumbin Valley duckpond, I think he tried to steer it like a 2 wheeler (countersteering) and when it started the to wander to the right or left,
dunno it happened real fast but the Spyder suddenly did a hard left turn on an almost straight road, (Power Steering see)
I jumped as he crashed through two roadside posts and dissapeared down an embankment into the pond.
In hindsight I wouldve been better staying on board....well really shoulda never got on the back till he has it worked out.

Bottom line they go exactly where you point the bars, and suddenly, and accurately.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
Jaaaaaaa RICZ, i hope this will be a endless thread, the way you have with words are not many of us can do
@Motorbikerx & @Pops spring to mind

We all love reading your adventures RICZ

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not having any problem with the controls or the steering, other than the steering is very responsive and quick. It's all the motions that are foreign to me that I'm having to get used to. Especially in the corners, so I take 'em easy and as I get acclimated, I give it a little more throttle through the turns.

·
Registered
255 Posts
RICZ, that is a nice looking machine, you have a great story going. I love the red color too.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Looks alot like the XC tour pack....

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Look forward to reading more of your adventures on the new to you ride. Good that the wife is in for this one too.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I'm not having any problem with the controls or the steering, other than the steering is very responsive and quick. It's all the motions that are foreign to me that I'm having to get used to. Especially in the corners, so I take 'em easy and as I get acclimated, I give it a little more throttle through the turns.
I found that obviously looking where you want to go , as well as moving body weight to the inside of the turn as well as pushing down with the foot thats on the outside of the turn makes it all flow nicely.
Wife needs to do similar to assist in ryding the machine, and hold on, not to you.
Then its just a matter of turning the bars in the direction you wish to go.
Baby steps, its relearning, and its a natural progression, in time youll find your upper body strength improving too.
I take it you are already on a Spyder forum and lapping up the info on there too.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the riding tips, Ii will apply them on my next outing.
Yup MBX, I'm on the Spyder forum and soaking it in. Lots to learn, and I already know how to change oil & filter, change air filter (too simple), and install an aftermarket anti sway bar. That will happen after I have the riding technique down pat, so I will know the difference. I'm told it's a significant improvement.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CHAPTER 3.....
I left you hanging where I panicked on an off camber, left curve. Well, all left curves are off camber and feel more so on a Spyder. A driveway to the OMSI parking lot was just a few yards ahead and I figured that since it was mostly empty, it would be a good practice ground. And it was. There are many rows with concrete medians separating them and sub lots off the main lot.
I rode (drove?) up and down the rows, turning left and right and doing u-turns left and right. I can feel that my confidence was growing as I picked up speed as I continued the exercise. I did this for over a half hour and felt I had mastered parking lot maneuvering. Walmart here I come!
Well, before I do Walmart, I had to take the Spyder back to the dealer. That meant getting back on that through street, Water Avenue and THAT curve! It went down better than I expected. On the straightaway, I picked up speed and thumbed the paddle shifter to 2nd, then to 3rd, and then 4th. Wow, I was flying! I was liking this machine a lot more.
Back at the dealer, it got parked, I said, See ya later. And trundled off toward home.
Next; Paying the Piper.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts