Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding home from work last nite, on the freeway doing about 35/40 when someone decided they needed to be in my lane more than I did. I dunno if they looked over or not, I just knew I needed to move. Had to get on the brakes while swerving into the next lane to avoid hitting the guy in that lane, dont know if I hit a oily spot or what, but the front tire locked & started to go sideways. I got off the binders, bounced my foot off the ground pushing myself back upright. Went on my merry way.

I bet the guy in the semi truck behind me was sucking seat as much as me when that front tire went sideways!!

There was no need for an afternoon nap after that!!

·
13,177 Posts
Yes not only do you have to watch whats in front of you but always have to think of that escape route.
Glade your good

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Had to get on the brakes while swerving into the next lane to avoid hitting the guy in that lane, dont know if I hit a oily spot or what, but the front tire locked & started to go sideways.
You don't need an oily spot. When you are leaned over (i.e. swerving) and lock the front, it is way easy to wash it out. And it is easier to lock because your contact patch now must share its grip to hold you in an arc with braking forces. Better to hit the brakes upright, but I understand the emergency nature you were facing. Anyway, it's just another good reason to get one with ABS. Glad to hear you rode it out.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need an oily spot. When you are leaned over (i.e. swerving) and lock the front, it is way easy to wash it out. And it is easier to lock because your contact patch now must share its grip to hold you in an arc with braking forces. Better to hit the brakes upright, but I understand the emergency nature you were facing. Anyway, it's just another good reason to get one with ABS. Glad to hear you rode it out.
yeah, I'm very aware of how easy the front can lock up. It was slick there I am fairly sure. Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
Glad to hear you've saved yourself a crash.

Do you have the stock horn? I have blasted my air horn a few times in similar situations, and it woke up the sleepy cagers each and every time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear you've saved yourself a crash.

Do you have the stock horn? I have blasted my air horn a few times in similar situations, and it woke up the sleepy cagers each and every time.
Thanks mang, I do not yet have an air horn. I do have the step by step instructions you wrote up saved tho!! Maybe this is the wake up call for me to bump that to the top of my priority list!

·
Registered
46 Posts
good news

Glad to hear you were okay. Probably only needed to change your shorts... I've had this done to me by people in small cars, and I normally drive a full size truck. Most people just simply dont think about their surroundings, or the implications of their actions. And when you factor in a cyclist' smaller visual signature...talk about sitting ducks. I'm all for wearing bright colors, brighter lights, louder pipes, louder horns.... Stay safe out there guys.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you were okay. Probably only needed to change your shorts...
How long did it take before your seat was lying flat again :eek:

Glad to hear you kept your head and everything worked out.
actually, it was over so frickin fast I didnt have time to even think about it- after I straightened out, I was thinkin 'did my front end just go sideways?' & the sore heel from bouncing off my bag bars told me it did happen!

I was hootin & hollerin at the top of my lungs rite afterwards- anyone that saw what happened & was within earshot prolly thought I was off my rocker!! lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Very nice save! Keep it in your memory banks if it ever happens again!

I had the pleasure of getting forced out of my lane 3 times within 10 miles last week. I was forced to split the lane doing 75, downshift and emergency rear brake every time. I only had that happen once before and it was several years ago. I actually surprised myself at what one really retains in emergency situations.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice save! Keep it in your memory banks if it ever happens again!

I had the pleasure of getting forced out of my lane 3 times within 10 miles last week. I was forced to split the lane doing 75, downshift and emergency rear brake every time. I only had that happen once before and it was several years ago. I actually surprised myself at what one really retains in emergency situations.
yepyep... I think after decades of desert riding some things just become second nature. Down side of that is some offroad tricks dont fare so well on the street!!

glad to hear you were able to squeeze your way thru!

:crzy:cheers:crzy:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Let me guess Greg, 91 near Lakewood(1st guess), or let's see, 91 near orangthorpe. ( includes 91/5 interchange ),.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me guess Greg, 91 near Lakewood(1st guess), or let's see, 91 near orangthorpe. ( includes 91/5 interchange ),.
Nope :) 91 eastbound, just after where it merges with the 55 (before the Lakeview exit, just at the end of that sweeping left turn)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh yeah cluster f #12 on the s-hole 91 fwy! That would've been my fourth guess, third being @57, then there! Damn and you were almost home!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts