Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday and today, my buddy Marc and I took a 900 mile trip from Los Angeles to San Jose and back, part on the 101 and much on various backroads.

I have the new Cee Bailey hard lowers, and put on the stock tall XC shield which was available for a 2011. I see thru this shield, not over.

I thought I would post my experience due to the new XC Tour coming standard with an even taller shield.

The teriffic good news was that with lowers and a tall shield there was virtually no buffeting. We road 600 miles yesterday, much at 75+ mph, and 300 today. I was not tired, and definitely not "beat up", which is how I feel after a few hours of buffeting.

However..,there is a price. This morning, leaving south from Pismo Beach (central coast of California) there was a sort of wet fog over much of the area. It builds up mist on the windwhield, and made visability virtually nill. On the back roads (Foxxen Canyon for those of you in the area) my speeds were reduced to 20-25 mph. On a helmet, with rain gloves, it is easy to wipe off the mist, but not so on a windshield. Thankfully, we only had the issue for an hour or so.

Might be a different story in an all day rain, particularly for those who tour and have mandatory destinations.

On a longer tour, particularly in an area like the east coast with sometimes daily rain showers, this could be a real issue. For me, in Southern California I will keep the tall shield.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a 19 inch Cee Bailey's and I can't see over it which is a hassle in the rain. I rode an 2011 with the Vic tall windshield and I couldn't see over that one either. I just bought a 12 and when I sit up straight I CAN SEE over the shield just enough. I think it is probably 17 inches high.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a 19 inch Cee Bailey's and I can't see over it which is a hassle in the rain. I rode an 2011 with the Vic tall windshield and I couldn't see over that one either. I just bought a 12 and when I sit up straight I CAN SEE over the shield just enough. I think it is probably 17 inches high.

Interesting, I thought Victory said the new Tour windshield is taller than anything they offered previously:confused:

In any case, if you can "sit tall" and see over that might be a perfect result. I have an aftermarket shield which I can just see over if I sit tall, but most of the time I slouch and the top of the shield is right in my line of sight:crzy:

From what I have read, both here and in reviews, many riders will see thru, not over, the new Tour shield, although I could easily be wrong since I haven't ridden one yet.

Bet your lovin the new 2012cheers What color did you get?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The new 2012 windshield is 17 7/8" tall.(from top of vent opening to top of windshield) I just put this on my XC and am very happy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new 2012 windshield is 17 7/8" tall.(from top of vent opening to top of windshield) I just put this on my XC and am very happy.
Thx! I just measured my 2011 tall shield, 17" from top of vent (19 1/2 from the bottom, i.e. the vent is 2 1/2" tall in the middle of the shield). So, appears to be nearly an inch taller.

Can't wait to see the new mounting system in person. We called Arlen Ness Victory yesterday, were close to their dealership in Dublin, but they didn't have a XCT in stock:(.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Would some RainX help solve the issue of water building up on the windscreen? I realize it's another step in care and maintenance but seeing where one is going is a good thing in my book. thumb up

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bet your lovin the new 2012 What color did you get?
Won't get it til Monday. My insurance company wouldn't make any policy changes today because of the hurricane coming up the east coast. Dang hurricane! See the photo above. The tour white is all white...no silver accent.

The windshield on the 12 (I think) is angled a bit more than the 11 and it mounts with 6 screws instead of 4 so my xtra windshields are useless to me now. :crzy:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RonBou;43122.The windshield on the 12 (I think) is angled a bit more than the 11 and it mounts with 6 screws instead of 4 so my xtra windshields are useless to me now. :crzy:[/QUOTE said:
The 12 shield could be angled more, due to the differnt mounting bracket (it mounts outside the fairing, not inside like the 10/11's.

I was told they were interchangeable. My factory tall shield also uses 6 screws versus 4, but not an issue, completely interchangeable. Hopefully your older shields will work fine. Post after you get the bike.

My buddy's Vision is white, really looks gr8:cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rain-x may not work on lexan and may even damage it. The windshield does not slide in between the inner and outer fairing but extends over the outer shell about a 1/2" leaving approx. 1/8" gap between back of windshield and front of fairing. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would some RainX help solve the issue of water building up on the windscreen? I realize it's another step in care and maintenance but seeing where one is going is a good thing in my book. thumb up
Not a bad idea, have never ued it but might work? Problem this morning was it wasn't rain, just mist which I think is mich worse. Plus, we were on back roads so slow speeds.

Anyway, not sugesting the tall shield isn't super (which I think it is), just that in certain circunstances can be an issue. Seems like maybe a trade off?

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Won't get it til Monday. My insurance company wouldn't make any policy changes today because of the hurricane coming up the east coast. Dang hurricane! See the photo above. The tour white is all white...no silver accent.

The windshield on the 12 (I think) is angled a bit more than the 11 and it mounts with 6 screws instead of 4 so my xtra windshields are useless to me now. :crzy:
They are interchangeable. I saw one being put together in Prescott a couple of weeks ago.

The only difference is the 12 has two extra brackets to support the bigger shield. The two extra brackets bolt to the existing supports (same as the 10 and 11).

It's more work to change them out but they do change out.

When I first heard of the "Baggershield" I kinda dismissed it but I'm thinking more about it these days as a possible. Especially since they now have one specifically for the XC's. They don't look too bad either in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are interchangeable. I saw one being put together in Prescott a couple of weeks ago.

The only difference is the 12 has two extra brackets to support the bigger shield. The two extra brackets bolt to the existing supports (same as the 10 and 11).

It's more work to change them out but they do change out.

When I first heard of the "Baggershield" I kinda dismissed it but I'm thinking more about it these days as a possible. Especially since they now have one specifically for the XC's. They don't look too bad either in my opinion.
Just put the tall windshield on my 11 XC and so far I love it. Got caught in a light rain a couple days ago and it was no different then my last bike. Rolled up the windshield and caused no vis problems. I did notice the instructions warned against window cleaner so I don't think the Rain-x is a good idea. They recommend plastic cleaner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a bad idea, have never ued it but might work? Problem this morning was it wasn't rain, just mist which I think is mich worse. Plus, we were on back roads so slow speeds.

Don't use Rain X! the chemicals will break down the film on the lexan and if I remember correctly, causes yellowing and flaking over time. It is designed for glass. This has been documented for many years on various mc forums.

·
Registered
112 Posts
that doesn't help with the problem i could see getting. Bugs. I can see mine, but some nights when i get back i can barely see through my windshield as its full of dead bugs

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Use a good polish (I recommend Plexus) to give a good clean luster and a thin protective barrier. Bugs will wipe off much easier. thumb up

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also use Plexus (actually my exprience the othr day was was just after I cleaned the windshield with Plexus. I use it for my face shield as well..great stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts