Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although i just picked up a victory V92C I got my eyes on a kingpin
down the road in a year or two. Just want to know from Kingpin owners the pro's and con's of these bikes. How do like yours,
would you buy another one? any input would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I don't own one, but I think the Kingpin is the best looking Victory to date.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't really know how to compare it to another bike because my experience is pretty limited. I did ride a bunch of HDs at a demo ride and also a bunch of Vics at a demo ride last year. Bottom line is I wouldn't trade my Kingpin for any of the bike I rode. I would however love to own a Vision one day but not at the cost of the KP. I even jazzed mine up a little cause I like it so much. You can't go wrong with a Kingpin IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I decided I could afford a second Victory as long as it was used and at a good price so I started looking at the 04-05 KP's because I knew that's where the best buy would be and those motors are known for being practically bullet proof. I found a decent one for a fair price and bought it. I had no idea I was going to like it as much as I do. It became my favorite bike for everything except touring and that's where the XC excels.

A while later I happen to be looking through (c)raigs list and found another one of the same year but with more goodies like billet wheels, chrome kit, and a factory flame paint job that had a few unobtrusive scratches from it falling over in a trailer. Plus it had less than 7500 miles and an even better price than the other one I bought. So I bought and it runs even better than the first. In fact it's the fastest bike that I personally have owned and that one made number 16 (I think).

So my thought was to swap anything that I really wanted to keep and sell the first one. Well, I'm trying to find a place to park my old motorhome down in the foothills of the San Diego area, and decided that keeping a Kingpin there too would be better than riding the touring bike back in forth and even better; I could bring my dogs an dstay a bit longer if I brought a car but still had a bike to ride while in SD. So now I've got 2 KP's and an XC along with a 1200 Sportster that's a sweet ride but really too small for me. As soon as I can fix a basic rocker box leak; I'll put it on the market.

Sorry for the long-winded story but you asked. :D

Yeah. Don't be afraid to look for a decent 04-05 even though they don't have the 6 speed. Only 5. But unless you plan on doing some touring on it; it doesn't really need it. I get 50 mpg with both KP's too and they both have the Stage 1 kit on them. And you could always swap the front pulley for an oversized one for touring.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I'd just like to add that I started out on a Jackpot when I first started riding Victory's and while I liked it; it wasn't what I was looking for. I think the Hammer or Vegas would be good choices as well but I just liked the looks of the KP. The funny thing is at first I didn't but then they grew on me. There are so many ways to fix them up to personalize them that one can never truly be done with one.

I do recommend getting the optional tach for all the Victory's except the touring line that already has them. I think it would even be good to get one on an XR or XRHB or XRLE.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'd just like to add that I started out on a Jackpot when I first started riding Victory's and while I liked it; it wasn't what I was looking for. I think the Hammer or Vegas would be good choices as well but I just liked the looks of the KP. The funny thing is at first I didn't but then they grew on me.
I remember when they first came out, goofing on the size of the fenders. I'm still not a big fan of them, but the paint jobs they've put on them recently are cleverly done to make them appear smaller. This is a really nice example:

I would still prefer if they just put nice cropped Vegas fenders on it and call that their sport model. After all, it is the sportiest tube framed cruiser in their lineup.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
The Kingpin does everything well. Due to those fenders that people don't like, you can put huge saddlebags on it and it doesn't look freakin' stupid.

If you decide you want the bike sportier, the foot controls, and rear fender from a Vegas will bolt right on and so will the Hammer front fender.

Due to the rim sizes you can put sticky high-speed-rated radial tires on it, and the inverted front end allows you to put them to use.

Like all Victory engines, there is great potential for performance.

The Kingpin can be whatever you want it to be because it's versatile. It is difficult to describe what a competent solo-bagger this bike has become. Comfortable, quick, fast, and a weapon in the twisties... but with good utility to carry your gear. The KP might just be the ultimate cruiser platform.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I really like mine. The fenders are what sold me..THEN I rode it...well like said ride one and youll own one..I really like the XC as well but the styleing of the KP is right up my alley..Ive made plenty changes as well over the years..Now back to all black...love the ominous look of all black..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts