Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand new XCT owner, four days now (see http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10263 ). With the bike, I also purchased the temp-gauge dipstick.

I put it in yesterday, and I'm somewhat confused regarding getting it out. I understand that the temp dial rotates, and in fact I did rotate it; I turned the dial clockwise, after I think the dipstick was fulling screwed in, for a better viewing angle and so that the dipstick itself wasn't loosened.

Then, it occurred to me to try to take it out. Unscrewing just seemed to rotate the dial. I tried squeezing the rubber covering of the dial pretty hard, but this doesn't seem to have any effect. I noticed that the very bottom of the dipstick is knurled, but the knurling is not very deep, making getting a good grip difficult. Plus, that knurling is way down at the bottom, where you have to manage to squeeze your hand in between the exhaust piping.

So, question one: is there some trick to getting this out, some tips?

Next, the stock dipstick has much wider (plastic) markings, for low and full. The temp dipstick's shaft has two little lines.

Question two: has anyone come across some good indelible, oil-proof, marker, to perhaps make it easier to see the oil level lines?

I've searched the site for this issue, and all I could come up with was this two-year-old post, which doesn't really answer my questions: http://www.victoryforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1938.html .

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yep ya got a real piece of crap there. File some marks on it when ya get It calabrated..Bet its real accurate too.thumb upcheers

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
busajack,

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dipstick

I have the temp dipstick also. I found the same problems you did.
I don't put the dipstick in as tight to save myself that problem. As far as oil level, I use the stock dipstick to measure oil level. Many say that the temp dipstick is not accuate. Try dipping yours in boiling water the see. I like to look down at mine from time to time for my curiosity. You will find a lot of info on this forum. Enjoy your ride.:D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the temp dipstick also. I found the same problems you did.
I don't put the dipstick in as tight to save myself that problem. As far as oil level, I use the stock dipstick to measure oil level. Many say that the temp dipstick is not accuate. Try dipping yours in boiling water the see. I like to look down at mine from time to time for my curiosity. You will find a lot of info on this forum. Enjoy your ride.:D
Thanks for that update. Seems the product may not be quite ready for prime time; I may just put it on the shelf, and go back to the stocker (and just get over my curiousity).

·
13,031 Posts
First off they are not accurate by any means. There pretty much a joke. Go back to dealer and tell him to get it out. Or leave it till you get your 500 mile check up.

If you keep it next time you do oil change after adding 3 1/2qts take a file or hack saw and put a mark on the bar. Then add a 1/2qt and put another mark on the bar.
Now you can check your oil. Make sure your bike is straight up and down

·
Registered
679 Posts
First off they are not accurate by any means. There pretty much a joke. Go back to dealer and tell him to get it out. Or leave it till you get your 500 mile check up.

If you keep it next time you do oil change after adding 3 1/2qts take a file or hack saw and put a mark on the bar. Then add a 1/2qt and put another mark on the bar.
Now you can check your oil. Make sure your bike is straight up and down
if you do that you will be 1/2 quart low. if all else fails read the book:ltr:
Quote from the manual.
Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick. Add approximately 4.5 quarts (4.25 liters) of the recommended
oil. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
ve

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnny & Wes,

Thanks for the comments. I've decided that I'm going to take it out (with slip-joint pliers at the bottom, or a strap-wrench pretty much anywhere), put it in the box of Vic parts* I'm starting to accumulate, leave it there and ignore it forever, and put the stocker back in. End of story.

* (For instance, I have the original license-plate holder - now replaced with a lay-down one - in the box. And the clutch-assembly bottom part holder, now replaced with the Vic RAM-mount part. And the original antenna, now replaced with a 14" flexible one. So, to that box I'll add the temp-gauge dipstick. I've had much dumber and more expensive lessons in my life; my first wife comes to mind, for instance.)

·
Premium Member
13,284 Posts
Yeah. I bought one of those too, along with a bunch of other stuff one time, and promptly put it back in the package it came in and took it back. I didn't want to fight the dang thing every time. Poorly engineered for sure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one on my 07, didn't have the spinning problem but it filled up with water durring a rain ride one day. Promptly went into the garbage.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had one on my 07, didn't have the spinning problem but it filled up with water durring a rain ride one day. Promptly went into the garbage.
VRat,

Thanks for your comments, too.

At least I hope this thread proves useful to anyone who's contemplating this purchase down the road, but does a search on the forum first.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any suggestions of decent aftermarket dip sticks. One of these was already installed on my Jackpot when I bought it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One quick comment about oil.

if you do that you will be 1/2 quart low. if all else fails read the book:ltr:
Quote from the manual.
Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick. Add approximately 4.5 quarts (4.25 liters) of the recommended
oil. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
ve
I follow the service manual for an oil & filter change but, I put in 4 quarts instead & then check oil level. In the past I tried 4.25 quarts and it was too much. It was Victory oil & filter. I measured the oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts