Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennessee Proposed Bill To Allow Motorcyclists To Ride Without A Helmet. Tennessee is one of 19 states with a helmet law. The proposed legislation would allow anyone 21 or older to ride without a helmet. A new legislation aiming to give motorcycle drivers the option of being on the road without a helmet has passed a House Finance subcommittee. The bill has some limitations. You have to be 21 years old, and be covered by private health or medical insurance. Supporters of the bill cited a Pennsylvania study showing motorcycle registrations go up after a helmet law is repealed. There are more than 167,000 motorcycles registered in Tennessee.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I am PRO HELMET myself , but feel if you don't choose to wear a helmet , you shouldn't have to . Riders should be able to make their own choice .

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is a choice

I have always worn a helmet but still believe it is a personal choice not something that should be legislated. But then I believe in the silly things like the US Constitution and freedom of choice. Of course "choice" implies responsibility and how dare speak of such... :grin

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Same amount of donors , just a lot more organs donated .....

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you have loud pipes, A horn to match and a whole set of Rube Goldberg extra bright headlights' You don't need no stinken Helmet..:wink:wink. Maybe........:ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Hemlet, what's that?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'm a let the rider choose kinda guy when it comes to helmets. With that being said I wear a good well fitted helmet all the time.

I'm an adult, I understand the risk of motorcycles and I want to stack the deck in my favor.

I've witnessed two fatal motorcycle accidents in the last 15 years and in both cases a helmet would have(IMO) saved both lives. In both cases it was rider error, both were reentry riders on a V-twin(popular manufacturer) and they wrote checks their experience couldn't cash. In the first case one locked the rear wheel coming up to stopped traffic on a freeway and high sided landing on his skull, fracturing it. He had plenty of room to go around but panicked. He was looking cool in his 2 thousand dollars worth of leather pants and jacket but that doo rag wasn't DOT certified. I saw it from the start, I was heading the opposite direction on my bike. I got to him milliseconds after he stopped sliding, not breathing, convulsing, thready pulse and I immediately started CPR knowing he was a dead man. I did that for almost 15 minutes in 80 degree plus weather and I was wiped, CPR is quite the workout. He was pronounced on scene. I got to recover from the CPR, give a statement, wipe the blood off, and swing my leg over my bike and ride 50 miles home. I should have towed it home, my mind wasn't in the ride. I still carry that scar on my soul.

The second time I'm in a company truck, Eastbound on Bell Rd right around 55th ave(this is Vindex's neighborhood, that's why I'm pointing it out) A guy on a V-twin(uh huh) tears around me going 65 MPH plus, no helmet, shorts, T-shirt, I watch him head off to the East. He catches the light at 51st Ave I catch him, the light turns and he takes off like a bat out of hell straight pipes blatting like a loaded garbage truck heading uphill. I remember thinking what a dumbass, as he comes up to the Fry's grocery store on the Southwest corner of 43rd and Bell a car turns left from the Fry's lot onto Bell Road in front of him. The classic left turn accident, he had plenty of time even at his speed to react. He could have slowed down, he could have tapped the brakes and went right around the back of the car but he did nothing. No brake light(remember, I was behind him and I saw it at the previous light) nothing, he hit the car at 50 plus MPH and did a superman over the car landing on and shattering his face and skull and sliding another 50 plus feet. I didn't get a chance to help him, other people were there so I used the truck to block traffic and directed it around the scene. Another statement and another scar and another ride home on a bike after witnessing a fatal.

I both of these cases I had the opportunity to talk with the investigating Officer during the post accident investigation. Really opened up my eyes. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have 2 different helmets and I wear one of them ever time I ride based on where and when I am riding. I live in Texas and meet all the requirements that exempts me from wearing one, but I still choose to.
The reason is based on one factor, my experience at work! I have worked entirely too many accidents where a helmet would have saved the riders life. Yes, I have worked some where it didn't matter but many would have been saved.
A few years ago I worked one invoving an off duty fireman that hit a curb in a turn at about 20 mph, he was thrown from his bike and he hit the top of his head on a telephone pole and lost his life... that was all the convincing I needed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm a let the rider choose kinda guy when it comes to helmets. With that being said I wear a good well fitted helmet all the time.

I'm an adult, I understand the risk of motorcycles and I want to stack the deck in my favor.

I've witnessed two fatal motorcycle accidents in the last 15 years and in both cases a helmet would have(IMO) saved both lives. In both cases it was rider error, both were reentry riders on a V-twin(popular manufacturer) and they wrote checks their experience couldn't cash. In the first case one locked the rear wheel coming up to stopped traffic on a freeway and high sided landing on his skull, fracturing it. He had plenty of room to go around but panicked. He was looking cool in his 2 thousand dollars worth of leather pants and jacket but that doo rag wasn't DOT certified. I saw it from the start, I was heading the opposite direction on my bike. I got to him milliseconds after he stopped sliding, not breathing, convulsing, thready pulse and I immediately started CPR knowing he was a dead man. I did that for almost 15 minutes in 80 degree plus weather and I was wiped, CPR is quite the workout. He was pronounced on scene. I got to recover from the CPR, give a statement, wipe the blood off, and swing my leg over my bike and ride 50 miles home. I should have towed it home, my mind wasn't in the ride. I still carry that scar on my soul.

The second time I'm in a company truck, Eastbound on Bell Rd right around 55th ave(this is Vindex's neighborhood, that's why I'm pointing it out) A guy on a V-twin(uh huh) tears around me going 65 MPH plus, no helmet, shorts, T-shirt, I watch him head off to the East. He catches the light at 51st Ave I catch him, the light turns and he takes off like a bat out of hell straight pipes blatting like a loaded garbage truck heading uphill. I remember thinking what a dumbass, as he comes up to the Fry's grocery store on the Southwest corner of 43rd and Bell a car turns left from the Fry's lot onto Bell Road in front of him. The classic left turn accident, he had plenty of time even at his speed to react. He could have slowed down, he could have tapped the brakes and went right around the back of the car but he did nothing. No brake light(remember, I was behind him and I saw it at the previous light) nothing, he hit the car at 50 plus MPH and did a superman over the car landing on and shattering his face and skull and sliding another 50 plus feet. I didn't get a chance to help him, other people were there so I used the truck to block traffic and directed it around the scene. Another statement and another scar and another ride home on a bike after witnessing a fatal.

I both of these cases I had the opportunity to talk with the investigating Officer during the post accident investigation. Really opened up my eyes. Ride safe all.
More people need to hear these kind of stories. With that being said I doubt it would change anything. We as riders at times feel we are in total control of our situations all the time. Perhaps we may even over estimate how good of riders we are, at times that is a direct lead into disaster. I love my wife and family to much to not wear a helmet (even though I have no choice in CA.) If you won't wear it for yourself wear it for those who love you most.

Reactions: BenD

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw a Bell Helmet demonstration and this guy drop the helmet from 30 ft up. He peeled off the felt liner and the stick said and drop from 30 feet you should send helment back for stress test. WTF.
They say a helmet is only effective for 5 years then you need a new one.
Here in MN. we don't have a helmet law but there is 65% wearing them because all the TV shows have the bikers wearing them. They all want that bad boy look. And the wide bandana covering their face.
Either way we should decide

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Being a Father, Husband and a Grandfather I want to be around for a while and knowing the risk of riding a motorcycle wearing a helmet is a no brainer for me and my wife. We wear our helmet year round hot or cold , along with all the other proper riding gear.

I do think you should have a choice , however you don't while in your car as seat belts are the law. Do what you want , ride what you want, you will spend $25k or more on a bike and fix it up with all the latest stuff but when it comes to being safe nothing else matters to some but looking cool. It's not cool to leave your family behind because you don't look cool or its to hot. You have to ask yourself "how much is my head worth" , a cheap helmet and no helmet is pretty much the same to me. I'll wear my Shoei on every ride , cool or not.

I too like most of you have seen the accidents of riders with and without helmets. A good riding buddy of mine lost his grandson 2 years ago from a single bike crash from hitting something on the road one night, his helmet was tied to the back of his bike . He and the bike went down on one side and with very minimal damage to the bike his head hit the payment just to hard to recover from his injuries , he was 24.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jamming!

I think we all would rather not be wearing one... but as I've always heard, it's not IF you go down but it is when you go down. And I definitely can relate!
Dill, I'd love to ride without a helmet, Sometimes early on a Sunday morning before traffic gets out I jump on the bike and buzz up the local convenience store for gas and a newspaper. I'm just wearing jeans, T-shirt and boots. It's glorious! It's only a mile, I'm never above 40 MPH and I know the risks. No way in hell I'd do it any other time.

At one time I was an MSF instructor and during the Basic Rider Course I always pulled out an old helmet and asked for a volunteer. As they were putting the helmet on I'd pull out a T-ball bat and say " Now I'm going to hit you on top of the helmet with this bat and then you're going to take it off and I'm going to do it again. Then you're going to tell me which one hurt the least". Now while I was doing this I was really yucking it up, and it never failed to get a really good laugh. Then I went off on my safety spiel. Again, I'm a very strong advocate of letting the rider choose. Too damn many laws in my opinion. I would however point out to the new riders they had a far greater chance of crashing. The most deaths lately have been re entry riders, Mostly men, over 40, coming back to motorcycles after raising families. I am however a strong advocate of mandatory training and a stepped licensing program. Prove you can handle that motorcycle before you get on it.

One final thought, I don't really like group rides until I get to know you first and If I'm leading, you get the "ride your own ride" speech. I'm not saying I'm a great rider, but I have a lot of miles and I'm a bit more cautious the older I get. One thing I really enjoy is bring new riders along, taking them under my wing and working with them in a parking lot. Maybe someday something I said will or taught them to do will make a difference.

Reactions: BenD

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have sort of mixed feelings on it. I have always wore a helmet. When I started riding off road we wore one. I started street riding in Florida back in the early-mid 70's. At that time Fla was a helmet state, so I had too. In the 80's maybe 81 or so I had a GS 1000 Suzuki touring bike among others. Anyways Oklahoma is where we were, no helmet required. But I was active duty military and legal department made it known that on base helmets were required, but while not required off base the military "may elect to not pay for medical expenses" if involved in a motorcycle accident with no helmet off base. Hmm easy decision for me. So fast forward to today here in Central Fla now, no helmet law, and I still wear one. This sport/adventure/recreation what ever you want to call it has built in dangers and it is up to me to reduce them as much as I can IMOP.
One of my issues with the no helmet thing is insurance. It is high enough to start with, and certainly medical expenses are part of that. I would wager motorcycle insurance in states without helmet laws is higher than those with laws. Medical costs being a larg factor. So those of us that chose to wear a lid are paying for those who dont. A silly side note. How come you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt but hurl yourself down the road at 50 mph without a helmet? Just sayin......

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I am PRO HELMET myself , but feel if you don't choose to wear a helmet , you shouldn't have to . Riders should be able to make their own choice .
what he said.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Dill, I'd love to ride without a helmet, Sometimes early on a Sunday morning before traffic gets out I jump on the bike and buzz up the local convenience store for gas and a newspaper. I'm just wearing jeans, T-shirt and boots. It's glorious! It's only a mile, I'm never above 40 MPH and I know the risks. No way in hell I'd do it any other time.
Statistics show most Fatal motorcycle accidents happen within 1 mile from home . Statistically , you would be safer wearing your helmet at this time and leave it off on the longer rides ... Just food for thought brother .

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Statistics show most Fatal motorcycle accidents happen within 1 mile from home . Statistically , you would be safer wearing your helmet at this time and leave it off on the longer rides ... Just food for thought brother .
No matter where you go three miles or a thousand miles at some point you're one mile from home every single time so it kind of stacks the odds but it's a valid point.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
<snip>
I would wager motorcycle insurance in states without helmet laws is higher than those with laws. <snip more>
I have no statistics or other thorough data on this but I have one anecdotal example. I lived in Michigan when that state went from helmet required to no helmet required. This was about 4-5 years ago and I owned several motorcycles at the time. My bike insurance did not change as a result of the state dropping their helmet requirement law.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
No matter where you go three miles or a thousand miles at some point you're one mile from home every single time so it kind of stacks the odds but it's a valid point.
You're right Mags, however I live out in the country in a bedroom suburb so the traffic is nil early on a Sunday so I'm at least stacking the deck a little in my favor. Vin's also right as well, the reason most accidents happen closer to home is that's where you're at all the time. increases the odds and chance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts