Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the male terminals from the connector body for the handle bar switches...while I don't have a terminal release pick set (will be here tomorrow) I have used paperclips, little screwdrivers, paperclips ground flat; yet I haven't been able to release the terminal....anyone have any suggestions? I am assuming there is a tang that needs depressed like a standard automotive style terminal. I am further assuming that it is on the opposite side of the crimp on the terminal...I refuse to cut the wires! And for those that want to know "why" I'm changing bars and routing the wires internally....

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
If they are the same found on other models in various places around the bike (a picture would help) then yes; anything small you can use to push in on the tang while gently pulling them apart should do it. Are they like the white end of this cable?

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
Note: If they haven't been separated since original assembly they can be a little stuck. Sometimes pushing them together first will break the seal like stickiness.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The terimanls are not stuck as they freely a hair when pulling on the wire. I'm just not sure which side the tang is on. My thinking is that is is opposite side of the crimp and would have to be released from the front of the connector... Pics attached...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
As you said; there are special tools but it looks like the right screw driver will do it for a lot of them. I can't tell which of the 3 instruction videos in the series is the right one for this application but I'm sure between them you will find your answer. FWIW; I've always had trouble with these too so these videos were good for me to watch too.

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
One other thought just occurred to me; you might want to take a picture of the back side of each connector so you have a visual reference to put them back together the way they were if you haven't already done so.

Also; it would help others if you found the best method and took a picture showing how you removed the pin and what tool you used. Videos are best but pictures help a lot; especially for us visual people. :)

Here are a couple more vids that might help.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to figure it out. Thanks for the video's however they didn't really apply. The "tang" on these connectors is part of the plastic connector body. If you are looking into the front of the connector, run your pick tool, (little tiny screwdriver) along the topside of the terminal and when you feel it make contact, gently pry up while gently pushing in. The object is to pry the tang, up and away from the terminal and slide the tool under the tang. Once properly released, while leaving the tool in place you can pull the wire out. If I get some time this weekend I'll attempt to make a video of the process...

The connector bodies are numbered so you can notate the position of the wires for re-assembly i also took several pictures...Now I've got to get busy and paint the bars and risers so I can get them installed!

PS. How do I edit my signature?

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. A video would definitely help others too.

Up near the top there's a line of options, one is "User CP" which means user control panel. Click on that and you will see the option to edit your signature on the left side. You might want to also edit your details and put your state in there. It can really help others get an idea what you might be working with.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated my "details" as suggested!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts