Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful looking bike. Fit and finish are excellent. The one I had has the stage one kit on it - the pipes sounded great! Not to loud - alot like my D & Ds. This bike has torque up the wazoo! Pulls hard immediately, great acceleration...but it runs out of "poop" pretty quickly, where our vics keep pulling. Has auto lock and unlock on the saddle bags. But, the bags are quite a bit smaller than the X bikes. Felt smaller than my X road and while the driver seat is comfy, the passenger seat is not. the ride was very smooth - best bike I have ever ridden for smoothing out the road - handling was good as well. The wider handlebars took some getting used to. I was really impressed with the machine, but not ready to give up my Vic for it yet. I drove a black one - beautiful, but the Indian Red one was incredible. I wish I was rich - i want to buy one just to look at!! Price for the one I rode - it has ALL the bells and whistles was........$24,000 before taxes etc.

Polaris has a winner with the new Indians.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Saw an Indian Vintage when I was out on my XR yesterday. Sure is great eye candy. Then I realized I was riding essentially the same bike but with larger bags, bigger floorboards, black saddle, no fringes and contemporary styling.

·
12,984 Posts
I road one on a demo ride and clutch seamed dead. It pulled easy but there was no real pressure on the lever. But then it was a demo bike

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I saw a Chieftan last October on my way to Daytona. I thought it was beautiful. I love the art deco bat wing. At the end of the day though the XCT carrys more stuff and that is one main reason I bought it. So if I was rich I would probably buy one too to bar hop with. But then again I would probably buy an 8-ball XC and have Lloydz do a 116 kit with a blower and call it day. Woohoo!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I rode 8 bikes yesterday at Phoenix Bike Fest. 2 Indian (Chieftain and Vintage) 2 Victory (CCT and CR) 2 HD (SG and Ultra) 2 Yamaha (Stratoliner and VStar).

The most comfortable and satisfying ride was actually the Vintage. I was surprised that I preferred it over the Chieftain. But it felt awesome. Dammit. I may have to trade the XC soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do they make forward control adapters to move it forward more?

I'm not that long legged w/a 34" inseam, but seemed tight to me still.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Plain Indian

Rode the plain Indian yesterday at the Phx. show. Rode the blue one without windshield or bags. Very nice and smooooth riding bike. The transmission shifted very nice, wish my XR shifted that nice. Was inpressed actually. If you want a very cushy ride for long trips the Indian may just be your ticket. Still owe the bank on my XR so it is still new to me till I pay it off. They do seem very high quality. Now for the things that bugged me personally, sorry I know I am not suppose to say anything negative about them, but then again the is a forum for Victorys. #1 the speedo is on top of the fuel tank,you have to look down to see your speed, unsafe to me. #2 the primary/clutch cover does protrude to the left to far in my opinion, sorta like those there HD bikes with that big ass primary covery, ha,ha. There you go only two things I listed, very good really for the first time riding one and first year of production. I personally think they ought to offer a annalog speedo and tach mounted above the handle bars as is an option on the Victorys. The protruding clutch/primary cover, you would get use to that after a few miles.----------Overall very nice bike, the Indian, I think they will stay around for some time if they do not deside to jack the prices way up as some popular bike brands have done in the past.thumb up

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
One of the plus factors for me selecting a Cross Roads was the speedo on the bars and an available tach that mounts along side it. Great for safety as Speedblue sez, plus I like to tour with a tank bag and tank mounted instruments preclude that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone test ride a Goldwing as well? I wonder how it compares overall with a Cross Country Tour. The Goldwing has a reverse gear, but ABS is not standard on all the models. And storage capacity is higher with the Victory. Would be interested in seeing comments.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like to tour with a tank bag and tank mounted instruments preclude that.
I don't know how you manage that. I figured I could use the old tank bags, but the handlebars bang into all but my smallest one on my XR. And the clearcoat is so soft, it scratches that up.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
I don't know how you manage that. I figured I could use the old tank bags, but the handlebars bang into all but my smallest one on my XR. And the clearcoat is so soft, it scratches that up.
Being the fussbudget I am, I give the tank a good waxing and work to keep the bottom of the tank bag clean. So far, so good. After the tour, if there are any diffugalties in the finish, I polish 'em out with S-100 cleaner/polish. It has a very fine abrasive that does a great job of removing surface scratches, such as when I kick my cases.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Anyone test ride a Goldwing as well? I wonder how it compares overall with a Cross Country Tour. The Goldwing has a reverse gear, but ABS is not standard on all the models. And storage capacity is higher with the Victory. Would be interested in seeing comments.
I did. At 6 feet tall I wanted to be comfortable and stretch out. The GW sits you closer to the tank. Your feet are almost tucked under you. It was too sportbike like for me. I am done with sportbikes. I want comfortable. The GW also has a wobble at 30-40 mph. It is a well known issue. Not every Wing has it, but the aftermarket addresses it with a brace. Otherwise it is faster than the Vic in stock form. It was quite a nice ride. The one thing that really bothered me was that the control of the Ipod sucked. I was unable to toggle through playlists, etc... Stereo is a big part of my MC experience now, so that was a minus for me. If it had the 6B seat and floorboards I may have chosen it. The 6B has no cruise control so that nixed that bike for me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If Victory redesigns the touring bikes to the point that there are significant changes to the bike for the better, then I think many will want to trade up to it rather many thinking they want to trade there Vic XC or Vision for an Indian or a MT Rushmore bike. Most Indian sales are from HD riders and Jap bike riders. Very few in my area are trading there Vic's. So bring it Vic

·
Registered
212 Posts
If Victory redesigns the touring bikes to the point that there are significant changes to the bike for the better, then I think many will want to trade up to it rather many thinking they want to trade there Vic XC or Vision for an Indian or a MT Rushmore bike. Most Indian sales are from HD riders and Jap bike riders. Very few in my area are trading there Vic's. So bring it Vic
Why would Polaris Industries want to create a competition directly with their big ticket item?

If anything, I could see them dumb down the Victory cruisers even more so to try to make them a little more affordable to those who won't jump to the mid $20k's for the Indian.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I certainly hope Victory continues to improve and market Vics. They are different machines and why not go after a larger potential market. If you dumb down the vics, folks will buy Kawis and Yammis not Indians....Vics are highly regarded and are real quality/bargain beast machines. Makes sense to go after the cream of the crop and the upper middle class machines. cheers

Personally I think the vics are top dogs - the Indians are beautiful but I really don't want one instead now even if money was no issue.

I am going with 2 buds tomorrow so they can test drive the Indians - I am going to ride along with my X road....and there is a highway part on the loop - we will see how the bikes compare in speed....
It's hard to tell by seat of the pants. When I first rode a X road, I was not sure it was that fast til I raced a pal that had a bike that always spanked my old ride....blew him away! Torque and length of acceleration are hard to figure until directly compared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts