Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know and most don't, I joined the forum to learn as much as I could about Vic. Well yesterday I was finally able to test ride one as well as the others I am interested in. I am wanting to upgrade to a bagger so I took a Cross Country Touring for a spin. I gotta tell you the bike handled well and felt fine under me. It had lots of room and was comfortable for the most part. I'm vertically challenged and the shift and brake levers needed to be adjusted back to the shortest setting.even with the adjustment it still had me a little too stretched out. The other thing that surprised me is that the bike felt as though there was nothing under me. A 800+ pound bike felt lighter than the Dyna I currently own. This was a windy day and I was being blown around as much as I get on my bike.
I left there and went to the HD dealer and rode a couple of their bikes.
I would like to thank all of you for helping me learn what I have on this forum. Some I can use in all aspects of riding and others may help fellow riders. As impressed as I was with Vic it just wasn't enough to sway me to buy one. I would like to continue to hang around and learn even more and maybe throw my half cent in once in awhile. Who knows maybe I can help somebody on here. Again thanks for all the help you gave me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
As some of you know and most don't, I joined the forum to learn as much as I could about Vic. Well yesterday I was finally able to test ride one as well as the others I am interested in. I am wanting to upgrade to a bagger so I took a Cross Country Touring for a spin. I gotta tell you the bike handled well and felt fine under me. It had lots of room and was comfortable for the most part. I'm vertically challenged and the shift and brake levers needed to be adjusted back to the shortest setting.even with the adjustment it still had me a little too stretched out. The other thing that surprised me is that the bike felt as though there was nothing under me. A 800+ pound bike felt lighter than the Dyna I currently own. This was a windy day and I was being blown around as much as I get on my bike.
Interesting. I came from top heavy sport touring bikes and I've ridden through heavy winds on the Vic and the bike feels completely planted. Yeah the wind blew *ME* all over, but the bike shrugged it off. On the STs I'd have been swerving all over in the same gusts.

I left there and went to the HD dealer and rode a couple of their bikes.
And...

As impressed as I was with Vic it just wasn't enough to sway me to buy one.
Well, you're one tough sell. I've owned/ridden numerous brands over decades and never had any interest in croozers whatsoever. I tried a Warrior recently because a friend had one and liked it, and it was nice for a cruiser and had it's perks, but it required a lot of work to make useful. I hopped on a Kingpin demo bike and I was sold by about the second turn.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The winds were pushing the bike around. The 2 Hd's I rode in the same winds were pretty stable. Like I said the Vic impressed me but not enough to make me buy. I considered everything in my decision. Including the amount of dealers out there. I know find a Indy. The problem with that is when on the road it takes time to find them, where as a dealer is so much easier to find. I also considered the mechanical problems. Vic has some problems as does HD and every man made product out there. After 2 years with my Dyna and not having any problems I am gambling on the next being the same. I would be taking the same gamble with any other bike.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The winds were pushing the bike around.
You say you rode the Cross Country. That could be a problem with that bike, I dunno, I've never ridden one of those in extremely windy conditions. I can guarantee it is not a problem with a Cross Roads though.

Including the amount of dealers out there. I know find a Indy. The problem with that is when on the road it takes time to find them, where as a dealer is so much easier to find.
No need to find an independent. A Victory is metric. If you need a tire or anything else done with metric tools, there are a zillion Jap/Euro dealers that can pop and swap.

I also considered the mechanical problems. Vic has some problems as does HD and every man made product out there. After 2 years with my Dyna and not having any problems I am gambling on the next being the same. I would be taking the same gamble with any other bike.
Harleys seem to have a handful of problems that occur with the regularity of prostate cancer in old men. Vics don't have such problems. Sure some have problems with their bikes, but no ubiquitous problems like stators, or crank wobble, or chain tensioners, or puking radiators crop up with the consistency they do on Harley models.

All that said, I love the 2014 Road King. I'm sure I could pour a decent piece of cash into resolving the quality problems by adding better parts from the start, but I can't see it being a good investment at this point given how good my current Vic is. And it's paid fer thumb up

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Crash - Sounds like you like the "cramped bikes so you may want to take a look at the new Indians. Their cockpit is similar to the HD but they have newer technology in their engine and suspension that are about 15 years newer than Hd's tech

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wouldn't say I like cramped bikes. I've been on a Heritage before and that's too cramped. My Dyna can be a little cramped when I have a passenger but by myself is fine. The cross country would need to have the pedals moved another inch or so to make it optimum for my liking.
I was able to ride the 14 RK and didn't like the riding position. Felt like I was being forced to sit upright too much. Out of the three I rode yesterday( Vic included) the street glide was the one that felt just right. We all know how that is. I've heard it said we don't pick the bike, the bike pics us. That's pretty much what happened. I wasn't a mile away from the dealer and knew it was the one.

Here's another little tid bit for you guys. Hopefully you can explain this too me. The 106 in the Vic didn't seem to have the power that the 103 or even the 96 has. The Vic also had the stage one done to it. I know the weight difference between the Vic and supeglide would account for some of that but the stock 103 in a heavier bike felt more powerful. Maybe I was imagining this but I got on all of them pretty good a few times and that's just how it felt. Any ideas.
As far as the Indian goes...... For one I don't care for the looks of them and for 2 I'm not sure what dealer here in Nebraska has them. The one I was at turned them down due to the demands from the MoCo. I was told they needed to have a separate building and cost to get the franchise was up there.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If you like the Street Glide, go for it. I liked my Road Glide but I did not like the repeated warranty visits. I found the Vision felt a bit unwieldy at first and it looked a mile long to me when I sat on it, even after 2 years on a Road Glide, but that was just the initial impression. These days you can't get me off my Vision.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The Street Glide is a Nice Ride and if that's what you like go for it .. But if think Harleys 96 or even 103 is more powerful is definitely in your mind .. My 09 Ultra was a Full Bore Stage II High Flow AC, Rineharts 2:1 Pipes and SE 259E Cams, Tuned with a Dynojet Power Vision, and the Vic had more HP and Torque Bone Stock ..

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The X bikes are large with lots of room which is great for tall guys like me but I can see where it may feel to large for really short riders. I really wanted to pick up an HD before I got my XR but they all felt really cramped for my 34" inseam. If HD ever decides to do something new and make a bigger framed bike with a totally redesigned engine then I may have to look their way again. Right now when I sit on a HD touring bike I feel like I am sitting on a heavy Honda Rebel after riding my XR it is so cramped feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
One of my best friends has a Street Glide. It's a cute little bike.

He's been talking about selling it and getting a Victory for the last 6 months, but he just paid it off and just bought a new truck...

The issues he has with the bike are 1) Very little rear suspension travel, 2) lack of power, and 3) instability at speed.

Like you, he is on the fence about which bike he really wants, so he will be doing some test rides and comparing. Not sure what he will end up with... but he IS going to ditch the Street Glide before long. I know him, once a bike puts a bad taste in his mouth it gets replaced in short order. He is weary of having to slow way down because his bike is not capable of what the other bikes shine at.

I have never tried to push him toward/sell him on Victory... he came up with that on his own... I couldn't care less what bike he's on and he damned sure doesn't listen to me anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

The issues he has with the bike are 1) Very little rear suspension travel, 2) lack of power, and 3) instability at speed.
What about cornering clearance? With that double barrel exhaust hanging so low, it looks like it could double as a kick stand if he wanted to park it cocked to the right.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
My 09 Ultra was a Full Bore Stage II High Flow AC, Rineharts 2:1 Pipes and SE 259E Cams, Tuned with a Dynojet Power Vision, and the Vic had more HP and Torque Bone Stock ..
Yeah, and with just some slip-ons, air filter, PC-V, timing wheel, touring cams, and tune that Vic will be in the 118 to 120 horsepower neighborhood.

Imagine how my friend feels on his probably 73 HP Street Glide:
*In a group with me (126 HP), Joe, (118 HP), Rob, (soon to have the package above), Tim (91 HP), Craig (90-some HP)...
*On our annual June trip with Goldwings, BMWs, Vics, FJRs...
THEN we go in the mountains and the poor guy has 2" of rear suspension and a chassis that doesn't react well to bumps while leaned over...
Like bringing a plastic butter knife to a sword fight. Seriously.

Not a bash on HD... it simply is what it is. The SG is made to be a cool looking bagger, it's not made to be a performer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The best thing about having all of the manufacturers with different bikes out there is to find the one that is right for you. I've owned several different cruiser and touring bikes over the years. I liked some of them but not all. I sold my 08 Ultra to buy the CCT. I really like the CCT. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and the bike fits me well without any of the lowering mod's. So find one that fits and ride it like you stole it, regardless of brand. The important thing to me is to ride! Best of luck with your selection.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
TNXR, I am one of those guys with a rather short inseam at only 29 inches but my Vision is almost my best ever fitting bike. The only one I have owned that fit my short inseam better was the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, that could not give me touring luggage capacity. I really loved to ride that bike but wanted to take my wife on long rides so that was out of the question.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hopefully you can explain this too me. The 106 in the Vic didn't seem to have the power that the 103 or even the 96 has. The Vic also had the stage one done to it. I know the weight difference between the Vic and supeglide would account for some of that but the stock 103 in a heavier bike felt more powerful. Maybe I was imagining this but I got on all of them pretty good a few times and that's just how it felt. Any ideas.
Glad you found a bike that fits even if it is not a Victory. HD still makes some VERY nice looking bikes but don't make the mistake of putting each bike on a Dyno because you would be surprised by the results as the 106 is a LOT stronger than the 103's are. In fact, in order to get a 103 "up to" the power of the stock 106 you have to spend about another $2K to $3K. The area where the torque is being made is the difference you noticed as the HD's torque hits earlier in the power band and then dies off whereas the Victory's tend to continue upward.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you found a bike that fits even if it is not a Victory. HD still makes some VERY nice looking bikes but don't make the mistake of putting each bike on a Dyno because you would be surprised by the results as the 106 is a LOT stronger than the 103's are. In fact, in order to get a 103 "up to" the power of the stock 106 you have to spend about another $2K to $3K. The area where the torque is being made is the difference you noticed as the HD's torque hits earlier in the power band and then dies off whereas the Victory's tend to continue upward.
Thanks for the answer. That makes sense and would also explain why I felt like the HD had more power. As far as performance mods to a bike...... I don't like the idea of doing too much. The only thing I did to my Dyna was put slip ons on and,the stage 1 ac as well as a fuel pack. The new bike no matter what it may have been is getting the same. I told the complicated one I wasn't going to do the slip ons. That was until I took the Dyna to gas it up for a mission today. I came home and then said that I would miss that sound too much.she laughed and told me " I know".

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't say I like cramped bikes. I've been on a Heritage before and that's too cramped. My Dyna can be a little cramped when I have a passenger but by myself is fine. The cross country would need to have the pedals moved another inch or so to make it optimum for my liking.
I was able to ride the 14 RK and didn't like the riding position. Felt like I was being forced to sit upright too much. Out of the three I rode yesterday( Vic included) the street glide was the one that felt just right. We all know how that is. I've heard it said we don't pick the bike, the bike pics us. That's pretty much what happened. I wasn't a mile away from the dealer and knew it was the one.

Here's another little tid bit for you guys. Hopefully you can explain this too me. The 106 in the Vic didn't seem to have the power that the 103 or even the 96 has. The Vic also had the stage one done to it. I know the weight difference between the Vic and supeglide would account for some of that but the stock 103 in a heavier bike felt more powerful. Maybe I was imagining this but I got on all of them pretty good a few times and that's just how it felt. Any ideas.
As far as the Indian goes...... For one I don't care for the looks of them and for 2 I'm not sure what dealer here in Nebraska has them. The one I was at turned them down due to the demands from the MoCo. I was told they needed to have a separate building and cost to get the franchise was up there.

As far as the power-I think the vic is a little deceiving due to how smooth it is. I have a friend that had a fatboy and he got mad because of how easy I would walk away from it on my XC. So he went and bought a 2013 street glide 103 and had the screaming eagle added. Well he is still not happy with me because the last time he rode with me he wanted to run them up over a hill maybe a mile or so. When we got to the top, he did better but I still had him by about 100 ft. For some reason now he always has a excuse when I call him to see if he wants to ride. Whatever. Have another friend with a 08 street glide that has cams, screaming eagle and not sure what else. Now we will run neck to neck. As far as the wind-I ride with 3 other guys-my buddy with the 08 street glide, another XC and a heritage softail. The wind seems to be about the same on all. We talk about handling , performance and any issues with our bikes we come across. All bikes have issues but as far as power the 106 is ok and wind I think depends on riders opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with most things here, the HD is cramped for anyone taller than 5'10 if you say its not you must have a longer torso than most and a short inseam. Anyway the Vic has allot more room cant argue that but I do have to agree the two 103's I ride with seem to have more power than my 106. They will pull away from me and when I have ridden both of them they both feel allot stronger than my 106. I thought from all the raves about the Victory motor being stronger etc it would be, but not in my case. I am now the guy throwing money into my motor to help live up to the 106 badge everyone ask and assumes so much about. I am ok with this as long as I dont have any of the gremlins harleys have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts